Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dropping catches

Cricket Spectator

Dropping catches

I have recently suffered a spell of dropped catches in the opening matches of the season, some straightforward, others harder. I now have a bit of a phobia in the field and am beginning to dread a catch coming my way. In practice I don't seem to have this problem. Have you any thoughts on how I can overcome this fear?

thanks

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Wrong forum, methinks...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by marath0nman View Post
    I have recently suffered a spell of dropped catches in the opening matches of the season, some straightforward, others harder. I now have a bit of a phobia in the field and am beginning to dread a catch coming my way. In practice I don't seem to have this problem. Have you any thoughts on how I can overcome this fear?

thanks
    How old are you mate? The thing that you should do at training is make sure it's as close to the game as possible. Do you keep fielding in the same position? If so, get your coach or a teammate to hit balls to you in a way that opposition would hit to you in a game. Use a hard ball because some people may find the practise balls easier to hold on to.

Don't get nervous, and keep your eyes on the ball.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Wrong forum, methinks...
    Indeed. On the move.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Burger Time Champion!

thanks

G'day mate,

Great to have you on board, just a note that the site discussion is for discussion on happenings on the forum. Use the cricket chat threads to discuss cricket related issues. Enjoy your time here.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Good job, Kyle.

In reply to the subject... I'd say just practice. And try to simulate the situations you've dropped stuff in.

Burger Time Champion!
    Mate,

There's only one way you can overcome your fear of dropped catches and that is simply by taking one in a game.

As long as you have the fundamentals of catching right, it doesn't matter how many you take at practice it doesn't simulate the pressure of taking a catch in a game, no matter how you set up the drills.

You just need to have a positive mindset when you are in the field. Always walk in with the bowler and want the ball to come to you, that way you are always expecting it. Once you take a catch you will have your confidence back.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    If you have the 'yips' I would suggest fielding in close, slips, short cover, that way you will not have time to think about dropping catches and it will be more of a reflex action.
    You know it makes sense.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Wrong forum, methinks...
    what forum was it in?
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    what forum was it in?
    Site discussion.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Lol

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    If you have the 'yips' I would suggest fielding in close, slips, short cover, that way you will not have time to think about dropping catches and it will be more of a reflex action.
    Probably the worst place for someone with a lack of catching confidence to field from the team's point of view. I see where you're coming from, but I would suggest somewhere more like mid-off/mid-on or mid wicket. You still may get those one's that get hit quickly, but at least you've got more chance of seeing it, but more importantly you can get the 'dollies' (sp) from miscued pull shots or drives, the catches you dream of when your lacking a bit of catching confidence.

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Lol
    Rookie error. A good topic though.

thanks
    Mate, Id love to tell you its easy to fix but it is all in the head and mental issues aren't simple.

Ive suffered from this many times and it makes cricket completely unenjoyable. It was never that I was a bad fielder (the opposite in fact) but that I placed too high an expectation on my performance in the field. One dropped catch or misfield and I didnt want the ball to come near me because I couldnt cope with the possibility of making 2 mistakes.

Extra practice will not help as it isnt a technical issue and this will not disappear if you take a catch or 2 as it will come back when another drop occurs.

The only advice I can give (and its far easier to say than implement) is to relax and take as much pressuse and expectation off yourself. You need to pursuade yourself that dropping a catch isnt a big deal and move on like nothing happened if you do.

Realise that your teammates arent going to think you are a bad player if you drop a catch (everyone does, its part of the game) and try to get rid of that fear of failure by removing the importance of the catch.

The best players forget their mistakes withing seconds of them happening.

I know its hard to do but its really the only option.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Spectator
    Thanks Goughy and all the other respondees. It is definitely a head thing with me and I will go into the next game relaxed and with a positive attitude. I think I do over react to the importance of the dropped catch. In the two games this season ( friendlys) even with my spills we have gone onto win. The phrase dropped catches loses matches can be true, but you never really know what might have happened had you taken the catch, for instance the next batter in could just as easily go on to score lots of runs at a better rate than the man who had just been caught... I also feel I have let the team and the bowler down. But as Goughy said, put it out of mind as soon as possible as everyone drops them now and again. I'll let you know how my catching improves later in the season.

This looks like a really good site and I look forward to keeping in touch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information