• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [19/01/09] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, Ladbroke Rovers got bowled out for 18.
Oh dear, can't wait to see how the apologists will explain that one. There must be some serious in-game morale that's screwing everything around, it has to be something like that that is the root cause of most of the problems. The semi-random wickets you'd expect hardly ever happen, the wickets come in great clutches as you lurch from one extreme to the other. The chance of a semi-random wicket in a sort of 100-0 after 20 overs type situation is far too small, it seems like to compensate for the devastating snowball effect the overall sort of chance of a wicket is reduced dramatically.

Figures I find out about this after I accidentally logged out... 1 login left...

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Playing the side who are 3rd in my league, who aren't too bad, but look like they're about to go bot - last login was 6 weeks tomorrow.

The Heath CC: 315/3 (50) Grant 113 (124), Sutton 84 (115), Thorpe 52 (32)
montypanesarswonderteam: 79/2 (17)

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
And there we go. Wrapped up second place by NRR, with a final difference of about +15 on third place, I reckon.

And that's the end of the match. Beard XI won by 10 wickets.
Newcastle XI 193-10
Beard XI 196-0

If my calculations are correct, that also gives me the top three batsmen in the league by average (none of them statistical oddities, although Platt did rather benefit from his 223* last week), the top run scorer (Bromby, with 1013), and the top wicket-taker (Oleary, with 45 @ 9.25).

Oh and hey, my first strong rating, on a PAN:

Code:
	Beard XI
Top Order:	strong
Middle Order:	feeble
Lower Order:	worthless
Seam Bowling:	respectable
Spin Bowling:	feeble
Fielding:	woeful
Not a bad day at the office. Really hoping for a good bowling trainee at the start of next season; Oleary badly needs some backup, and I can't really afford a decent finished player yet.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
THREE IS A MAGIC NUMBER!

Six seasons ago, when Trevor Vayro addressed a hand-full of local press, and told them he'd take a ramshackle bunch of Division Five journeymen to the top flight in ten seasons…People laughed! Fourteen games ago, when Trevor Vayro told a larger gathering of local press that the title would still come to Swansea, despite losing their season opener to main rivals Whos Your Daddy…People laughed! - No-one's laughing tonight, as Vayro greeted not only the local, but the national press, after his men beat Kent's The Wrong'uns to secure the IV.11 title in thrilling fashion, seemingly putting them odds on to win automatic promotion to Division three.

Perhaps prophetically, it was 17YO Prof/Med rooky Matthew Akhtar who hit the winning boundary off his first delivery, while the man who's crown he'll one day inherit, Exc/Sup Doug Greening watched from the non-striker's end, having piloted his side to the Championship with an utterly phlegmatic and nerveless 83* from 95 balls.

But you'd be mistaken if you thought that the entire day had been one extended coronation. The Gurs started the day with an NRR advantage of 1.5 over second-placed Whos Your Daddy, whose troops were massed just over the Thames Estuary in Essex; and on more than one occasion, it appeared as though The Daddy's may yet commit Regicide.

Yet Gurs' Skipper Strong/Resp Bat Patel must have felt he already had one foot on the Scone Stone when, within three overs of electing to field, Rem/Sup LM Bewers had ripped out Exc Bridges M and Qual Howard, as well as running out Rem Leonard without scoring. But The Wrong'un's roots in the Garden of England proved much harder to dig out, as 27/3 became 116/3, and stage-fright began to set in. Meanwhile, across the Medway, Republican sentiment was rife, as The Daddy's reduced Hoveshire Hawks' innings to rubble in Cromwellian fashion - Meaning that at the quarter-way point it was still all to play for.

That was until Sup/Resp LFM Steve Carlton rode past on his BMX, and blew away the Wrong'uns' middle order with 3/18 from his seven overs, on Def orders! Once chaos had ensued in the opposition ranks, Patel called back the Household Cavalry, and whilst Qual/Resp RM Wilde was unable to add to his recent impressive haul of scalps, Bewers did bag another, leaving just No.11 Crane for Strong/Prof LHS Cash to send to The Tower, with the score on 169.

So The Gurs were able to lunch in front of the telly, just in time to see Hoveshire Hawks rally slightly against The Daddy's. An unbeaten 53 from No.5 Lees, combined with useful contributions of 18 and 21 from the tail, meant that The Hawks limped to 198 all out, leaving The Daddys with a tough task to better The Gurs' NRR by 1.5 or more.

In the Gurs' reply Greening alone batted with monarchic serenity, as, with the score having advanced to just 22, Sup/Wond Noon took an arrow from Rem RHS Crane, alas not in the eye, but in the knee, bang in front of middle for 9. Rem/Sup Staveley batted with the heart and stomach of a Lion, but the pull shot of a meek and feeble woman, as he raced to 39 from forty deliveries, only to hole out in the deep to Sup LFM Bullman. But With No.4 Strong/Strong Jeffery, came word that the Daddy's line was breaking, as they trudged wearily to 124/3 in 30 overs, well below the sort of rate which was going to usurp the throne. All The Gurs had to do was hold their nerve, and hold it they did, Jeffery 28 (39), providing able support to Greening. Wond RHS Branson did nip in for two quick wickets with less than ten required, as The Gurs stuck out their NRR necks for the Line, but then came that first-ball tickle to fine Leg from Akhtar, There can scarcely have been a more valuable shot in the Club's history.
RATINGS ON PAN

The WrongUns Cymru Gurgitaters
Top Order: superb wonderful
Middle Order: mediocre respectable
Lower Order: worthless woeful
Seam Bowling: respectable superb
Spin Bowling: remarkable proficient
Fielding: woeful feeble

MOTM: Greening

Scaly piscine

Looks like you've promoted into quite a nice III league trev - III.15

Your side looks to be as good as any in that lot. Team going up with you looks quite good tho.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Should get 2nd in my first experience of BT20. Have the winners of a Div IV in my group, who should easily win, but otherwise have a team who've finished 8th in a Div V and a team who've finished 8th in a Div VI.

Is it only the team that finishes first that progresses in BT20?

DCC_legend

International Regular
Dee Crew - 335/4 (50)

Robertson - 145 (128)
Sheepy - 118 (128)

Barton - 3/63

The Foxes 2 - 38 All Out (11)

Dhindsa - 12 (22)

Flitney - 4/18 (5)
Leary - 4/17 (5)

Dee Crew won by 297 runs.

MoM - D Robertson for his 145

Scaly piscine

Should get 2nd in my first experience of BT20. Have the winners of a Div IV in my group, who should easily win, but otherwise have a team who've finished 8th in a Div V and a team who've finished 8th in a Div VI.

Is it only the team that finishes first that progresses in BT20?
Yes.

Adam's game is kinda interesting in a BT-stupid way,

Cuss scored 59 off 120 while Ashton scored 81 off 80 and they're of similar standard. Anyway Adam is pretty much assured of winning the West Indies title now.

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
Congrats, Trev, nice work. Enjoy Div III... :)

Somewhat interesting BT20 draw for me; two dross sides, but one div V side of approximately my level, with better depth, but fewer stars. Could go either way, especially in 20 overs.

Scaly piscine

Gotta love how Adam's bowling reduces a side from 23-1 after 10 overs to 30-7 after 12.1 overs...

Last edited:

EARLOBE

State 12th Man
What's the go with the 20/20 leagues? I just logged on and saw this.

Team Pld Won Tie Lost Points Net RR
1. DeeAreBees11 3 3 0 0 12 19.73
2. thommos XI 3 1 0 2 4 -1.74
3. Male Models 3 1 0 2 4 -2.75
4. West XI 3 1 0 2 4 -15.23
On my pavillion page it said that I was 4th though. Weird. When are the games actually played? On Fridays?

andyc

Anyone up for a friendly?

By the way, lol at the Twenty20 bug. We seem to have received money from gate receipts as well (in both diary and finance pages), while my players have taken fitness hits (Canning down to lively). Also, if you go to your season 6 fixture archive, you can find the actual results of these games mixed in with your other Twenty20 games. While they obviously won't count, Burger gunned it for me- 80* (53), 49 (31) and 15* (4), with MOTM in all three games. Would also like to know how, despite losing one of their games and coming second, one of the teams managed a NRR of 43.61 from 3 games.

Last edited:

Johnners

Mines even better. Apparently i lost 2 games, finished third, yet still ended up with a NRR of 75.94, whereas 1st only managed 28.74.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Won one match and lost two, one by 3 runs against a prof team. Good times. Some highlights include Burnip 90 (51), Hindle 95* (55), Hamlin 72* (39) - S/R 185%, Smart 2/25 off 4 and captain Ty Browne (woeful fielding) taking four catches in an innings.

Seriously though, farcical stuff BT.

EDIT: Third in my pool, winners won all three games at the stellar RR of -3.94 :cool:

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
I have put this bloke on transfer market:

William Kenny (1425521)

RH Batsman, RF Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, fresh
A destructive player with proficient leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Plays For: Alternative XI
Nationality: England
Battrick Rating: 6,024
Wages: £558 p/w
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: mediocre Concentration: competent
Bowling: worthless Consistency: worthless
Fielding: respectable

Currently going at 100K, what can i expect for him guys?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Finally got my league title with a 168-run last round win, made 220/10 (Ashton 81, Cuss 59) and bowled them out for 52 (Downer 4-19). That result is pretty indicative of my season in terms of my side's batting/bowling balance. The best players for me this season IMO were Watkins and Downer, the following made the league top 20s though:

Batting
1. Watkins - 718 @ 143.60
9. Ashton - 575 @ 57.50
15. Cuss - 445 @ 49.44

Bowling
1. Whitehorne - 32 @ 6.38
3. Downer - 34 @ 10.26
9. Watkins - 20 @ 14.15
12. Harewood - 26 @ 18.42

Currently trying to sell a couple of players in the hope of upgrading a batsman and getting a passable fifth-bowler before the 20-over stuff starts.

EARLOBE

State 12th Man
I didn't think to check the league averages.

6. Abdul kadir 736 @ 73.60
14. Lebohang 410 @ 45.56
16. Beaumont 449 @ 44.90
17. Toulson 398 @ 44.22

10. Meechan 27 @ 20.19
11. Morgan 21 @ 25.29

I'm looking to really upgrade my bowling attack for next season. It's absolutely hopeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.