Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 570 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Archived [10/08/07] Battrick

Oh well I posted about the collapses in the Q&A #6? thread in England sledging board, fat lot of good it'll do. Perhaps if I point out that tailenders are ridiculously useless by giving lots of stats it'll help indirectly. Must be a few other people here who have woefuls and feebles who average stupid amounts like 1.50 and 3.7odd.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Yeah... it's quite annoying tbh.... even got a mediocre who's average is only 9.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Bugger. Wrote loads and then lost it all

Here goes again...

Right. I can see where Allan's coming from with the collapses being part of the game.

BT isn't real life. It's an approximation, but some things just can't be done the same.

In real cricket, even the most one-dimensional bowler works on his batting. A raw 17yo no.11 might even become a passable no.8 or 9 given a few years. Glenn McGrath himself was probably abysmal when he started out, but is now at least feeble!

In Battrick, however, you're not going to give a precious batting net to a 17yo woeful bat, no matter how good his bowling is. So he's always going to be rubbish.

Okay, so experience plays a part, but that's there in BT too.

But what can Allan do? Introduce half-nets? You can't go around giving bowlers better batting stats, as that just wouldn't work - no-one would pull a batsman ever again!

Perhaps you could assign a net to be spread around "all who played the last match"? Mind you, not sure how useful 9% of a week's training is going to be.

Besides which, bowlers get added concentration when their consistency gets trained. Batsmen get added consistency, but that's useless - for example, Sandwith, my remarkable/remarkable bat, has superb consistency, but that's wasted as he's only got abysmal bowling. I was tempted to train him up as an all-rounder, but figured that it just wasn't worth it.

Thinking about it, we already have sports psychologists who attend net sessions. How about "supplementary batting coaches" who attend bowling sessions? They'd provide some (maybe 25%?) batting training, at the expense of your bowler not getting any consistency training.

I do think that's a bit "artificial" though.

International Regular Bobisback's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahindinho
    Glenn McGrath himself was probably abysmal when he started out, but is now at least feeble!

McGrath is coming up effectively against elite bowlers tho. The experience argument doesn't wash because it's rubbish experience versus rubbish experience.

Put him against the proficient bowlers and he'll average 10+ easily.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    The problem isn't confined to tailenders. It's not uncommon to see five or six competent/respectable type batsmen go down for <10 runs, especially in the last 10 overs. The strange thing is that it's also not uncommon to see crap batsmen last a long time against much better bowlers during the middle overs. There's clearly a problem there. Allan should either say 'yes, there is a problem with collapses, but this isn't meant to mirror real life and it's not going to be changed', or 'yes, there's a problem and it will be fixed', rather than denying outright that there is a problem.

PY
    Well my cup draw has changed and I now have:

Jai Hind
    Top Order: quality
    Middle Order: mediocre
    Lower Order: worthless
    Seam Bowling: remarkable
    Spin Bowling: competent
    Fielding: mediocre

My ratings on TIE:

Strong
    Competent
    Abysmal
    Respectable
    Respectable
    Feeble

Need some serious advice, both my games this weekend are at home for reference.

First against:

Men who play with balls
    Top Order: strong
    Middle Order: competent
    Lower Order: abysmal
    Seam Bowling: proficient
    Spin Bowling: respectable
    Fielding: woeful

Was supposed to be playing these lot twice in cup & league so had begun changing my pitch to hard & fast and backed my gun bats to do the job. However, it only got to Green thus far.

Second game I'm thinking that my spin is better than theirs but their seam is way better & batting is 2 levels better too. They have two gun bats (remarkable+) at 2 & 3. Do I go with the dusty pitch which might help my spinners but clashes with what I want on the Friday game? Or do I go uneven/cracked and hope that something crazy happens and 2&3 get out and then I'm into prof & worse?

How long do pitch changes take approximately? Gah, stupid changed cup draws..
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

If your gun guys have more attacking temperaments I'd go with hard & fast. That remarkable seam bowling is going to kill you on most other pitches.

PY
    Well Chanderpaul (remarkable) is destructive, and so's Singh who's going to be my pinch hitter, though others are steady.

Chanders is key though so that makes sense though it's Wednesday (obviously ) and it's only at green so will it make H&F?

Quote Originally Posted by PY
    Well Chanderpaul (remarkable) is destructive, and so's Singh who's going to be my pinch hitter, though others are steady.

Chanders is key though so that makes sense though it's Wednesday (obviously ) and it's only at green so will it make H&F?
    Just in case I was unclear I meant about the gun bats for the cup game against the remarkable seam. H&F is next to green in the changes so it only takes 1-2 days to change from one to the other.

I lost on an uber-flat pitch cause some complete donkey scored a quick 100.

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Just in case I was unclear I meant about the gun bats for the cup game against the remarkable seam. H&F is next to green in the changes so it only takes 1-2 days to change from one to the other.

I lost on an uber-flat pitch cause some complete donkey scored a quick 100.
    What do you reckon about the Friday game then? Was my logic wrong about going for a H&F for that game?

I assumed they weren't far off so H&F for both? Guess the Friday one is slightly more open-ended because the ratings difference is only one level on one part.

Going for normal I reckon on both.

May as well just do the same on Friday I guess H & F, hope for a 300+ fest and have your destructive and attacking guys score most of the runs so you win. I'd be careful with Singh tho, the game might just decide that he'll score a bizarrely slow 50 off 90 balls or something if he's much below the bowlers skill - Adam should have experience of that with his Vimesh Malik.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah, it's not really possible to give someone a pinch hitter role in BT. Malik is destructive but rarely scores quickly because of his relatively low batting skill. Career SR is ~67. Think his slowest was a 10 off about 50 balls from no. 3 which effectively lost me the game. Still use him up the order occasionally against weaker teams or when I'm worried about collapsing. He gets out for ducks a lot though, probably to do with his temperament.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    Can you post their wages, JJ? That's really the only way to tell
    Sure can Andy.

10. Saurav **** - 18 yo, BT Rating=19,558
    RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
    A steady player with proficient leadership skills and woeful experience.
    Stamina: proficient Wicket Keeping: worthless
    Batting: strong Concentration: proficient
    Bowling: worthless Consistency: worthless
    Fielding: feeble
    2x batting, 1x fielding, wage £2,587

7. Ashwatthama Singh - 18 yo, BT Rating=6,347
    LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
    An attacking player with woeful leadership skills and abysmal experience.
    Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: worthless
    Batting: abysmal Concentration: worthless
    Bowling: respectable Consistency: mediocre
    Fielding: worthless
    1x bowling, 1x fitness, wage £858

18. Walter Beckwith - 18 yo, BT Rating=4,239
    RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
    A steady player with feeble leadership skills and abysmal experience.
    Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: worthless
    Batting: worthless Concentration: worthless
    Bowling: competent Consistency: mediocre
    Fielding: worthless
    1x bowling, wage £446

Cheers.

Thread Information