• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [10/08/07] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I had five pops. Awesome. Hindle being a gun all-rounder and Antonius confirming what the cricketing world already knows. ;)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Couple pops:

Wolde Wilmers - 22 yo, BT Rating=17,126
LH Batsman, LF Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A defensive player with proficient leadership skills and feeble experience.
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: woeful
Batting: proficient Concentration: superb
Bowling: abysmal Consistency: feeble
Fielding: competent

George Bignot - 19 yo, BT Rating=10,014
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic
A steady player with woeful leadership skills and woeful experience.
Stamina: competent Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: abysmal Concentration: worthless
Bowling: proficient Consistency: respectable
Fielding: worthless

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Johnston is listed on the market for £3.2m in case anyone's interested.

Nelson Johnston (366558)
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A steady player with feeble leadership skills and feeble experience.

Plays For: Anchormen
Nationality: Australia
Battrick Rating: 17,581
Wages: £5,408 p/w
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: quality Concentration: proficient
Bowling: abysmal Consistency: feeble
Fielding: feeble

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting stuff about fielding nets on the last page. So a bowler with relatively equal bowling and consistency would be fine with just a single bowling net, rather than bowling and fielding? Might re-think my approach to assigning nets then.

nibbs

International Captain
Bhutia 106 (133)

Bhutia scored his first ever century, so that's a good start to the season for the young lad.
duggan scored his first 100 as an 18yo in the 1st round of the cup. rob, the similiarities are dynamic, yet remarkable.

nibbs

International Captain
vermaak popped to remarkable bowlng. i'm still not sure if i want to keep him on my side. i think if i decide to sell him, he could offer decent value. his cons are ust a major concern, and he could still struggle for a couple of seasons.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Got this guy for 1k. He's not that good obviously, but he's better than the number 8 I had before, with the ball at least, and at 17 he seemed cheap. Worth giving him a bowling and/or fielding net?

Imtinan Shamshad - 17 yo, BT Rating=3,241
RH Batsman, RF Bowler, mediocre batting form, respectable bowling form, energetic
A cautious player with abysmal leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: mediocre Concentration: worthless
Bowling: competent Consistency: abysmal
Fielding: mediocre

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Interesting stuff about fielding nets on the last page. So a bowler with relatively equal bowling and consistency would be fine with just a single bowling net, rather than bowling and fielding? Might re-think my approach to assigning nets then.
I believe so - that's exactly the policy I've been using, i.e. pretty much no fielding nets, for the last two/three seasons.

My trained-up players are all pretty much even in terms of primary/secondary balance* - admittedly, most of them started training before secondaries were slowed down for younger players...but since then (roughly between the ages of 19 and 21) the primaries and secondaries have been popping at pretty much the same rate.

* 3 players with both the same, 3 with a one-level difference, and 1 with two levels.

IMHO, fielding nets are only worth it on all-rounders and WK trainees.

RoMojo

Cricket Spectator
Interesting about what you're saying with fielding nets for a WK.

Code:
Battrick Rating:	7,677
Wages:	£1,253 p/w
Stamina:  	respectable  	Wicket Keeping:  	respectable
Batting: 	mediocre 	Concentration: 	feeble
Bowling: 	worthless 	Consistency: 	worthless
Fielding: 	worthless
I was just going to let him simmer with one or two bats and a wkeep. Is a fielding net massively benefical too?

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Interesting about what you're saying with fielding nets for a WK.
{snip}
I was just going to let him simmer with one or two bats and a wkeep. Is a fielding net massively benefical too?
I think (and others may wish to correct me) that WKs benefit from consistency and (to a lesser extent) fielding, so it makes sense to give them a fielding net - this'd increase fielding, cons and conc (which is of course useful for batting).

I'd regard it as a low-priority net, although your guy is starting from Worthless. I've got no experience in training 'keepers though, so maybe someone more knowledgeable will step in and correct me...

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Got this guy for 1k. He's not that good obviously, but he's better than the number 8 I had before, with the ball at least, and at 17 he seemed cheap. Worth giving him a bowling and/or fielding net?

RH Batsman, RF Bowler, mediocre batting form, respectable bowling form, energetic
I'd be inclined to say no - his consistency isn't going to reach a decent level for at least two seasons, by which time (hopefully!) you'd need better players anyway.

Having said that, in two full seasons' time with a bowling net, he would be something like Strong/Mediocre. What are your other bowlers going to be like?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be inclined to say no - his consistency isn't going to reach a decent level for at least two seasons, by which time (hopefully!) you'd need better players anyway.

Having said that, in two full seasons' time with a bowling net, he would be something like Strong/Mediocre. What are your other bowlers going to be like?
I've got a strong/woeful seamer and a proficient/strong spinner, who are clearly my best bowlers. Only the spinner is being trained now (bowling net and nothing else), as the seamer is 26. After that there's not much, got a 20 year old seamer who is competent/woeful, and I'm not training. The other bowler in the first team is an all-rounder who is 17 and getting four nets at the moment.

He's definitely one of my better bowlers, I'm just not sure if I'd be better off giving him nets or just using him and looking for someone better.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member

I had a similar player a couple seasons ago, only difference was that he was competent batting, but worthless everything else. After two seasons of training his:

Sasrutha Muralitharan - 19 yo, BT Rating=17,942
LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A defensive player with strong leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: strong Concentration: feeble
Bowling: strong Consistency: feeble
Fielding: feeble

If your going to train someone like that you might as well do it when your team is new and it wont take much for him to get into your starting XI. Note the only reason i kept him was the Murali factor, but it paying off.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
I've got a strong/woeful seamer and a proficient/strong spinner, who are clearly my best bowlers. Only the spinner is being trained now (bowling net and nothing else), as the seamer is 26. After that there's not much, got a 20 year old seamer who is competent/woeful, and I'm not training. The other bowler in the first team is an all-rounder who is 17 and getting four nets at the moment.

He's definitely one of my better bowlers, I'm just not sure if I'd be better off giving him nets or just using him and looking for someone better.
So, if you keep training him, he's basically going to go past at least two, if not three, of your current bowlers in the next two seasons. Therefore, they're the ones you'll have to replace first.

Therefore, I'd train him up and watch him go!

However, I would investigate the transfer market first and see how much 17yo Competent/Feebles are going for. If they're not too pricey (<£50k?), you'd be better off with one of those...or even an 18yo Comp/Feeb. I've not been looking at that kind of player, so I've got no idea how much they cost right now.

As far as training goes, it all pays off eventually. Chaminda's shown you how Murali became a pretty good all-rounder - now look at these three, two of whom were from my starting squad:

Hirst - 17yo Mediocre/Abysmal bowler
Brooker - 17yo Mediocre/Feeble bowler
John - 17yo Respectable/Woeful bowler

Five seasons on (four for John), and probably with an average of 1.5 nets per week each (closer to two for John), they're all at least Quality/Remarkable.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Help Please these are my rookies.. who should i have on training.. and what on..?? Help a brother out.. :)! Ive got 4 Bowling , 2 Batting, 2 Fielding, 2 Fitness.

Michael Hardiker - 20 yo, BT Rating=10,204
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic
A defensive player with abysmal leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Batting: mediocre Concentration: woeful
Bowling: respectable Consistency: competent
Fielding: woeful

Calum Tandy - 18 yo, BT Rating=9,521
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic
A defensive player with woeful leadership skills and woeful experience.
Bowling: proficient Consistency: mediocre
Fielding: worthless

Richard Parker - 18 yo, BT Rating=4,540
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, strong batting form, competent bowling form, sublime
A steady player with competent leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: abysmal Concentration: worthless
Bowling: proficient Consistency: worthless
Fielding: abysmal

Ricky Longthorn - 18 yo, BT Rating=3,155
RH Batsman, RF Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
An attacking player with feeble leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Batting: abysmal Concentration: feeble
Bowling: competent Consistency: feeble

Dean Petrie - 18 yo, BT Rating=2,019
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, worthless batting form, strong bowling form, sublime
A destructive player with proficient leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Batting: woeful Concentration: mediocre
Bowling: mediocre Consistency: woeful

Steve Haynes - 17 yo, BT Rating=1,598
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, fresh
A steady player with competent leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Batting: mediocre Concentration: feeble
Bowling: worthless Consistency: worthless

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
So, if you keep training him, he's basically going to go past at least two, if not three, of your current bowlers in the next two seasons. Therefore, they're the ones you'll have to replace first.

Therefore, I'd train him up and watch him go!

However, I would investigate the transfer market first and see how much 17yo Competent/Feebles are going for. If they're not too pricey (<£50k?), you'd be better off with one of those...or even an 18yo Comp/Feeb. I've not been looking at that kind of player, so I've got no idea how much they cost right now.

As far as training goes, it all pays off eventually. Chaminda's shown you how Murali became a pretty good all-rounder - now look at these three, two of whom were from my starting squad:

Hirst - 17yo Mediocre/Abysmal bowler
Brooker - 17yo Mediocre/Feeble bowler
John - 17yo Respectable/Woeful bowler

Five seasons on (four for John), and probably with an average of 1.5 nets per week each (closer to two for John), they're all at least Quality/Remarkable.
Righto, thanks. I've put him on a bowling and a fielding for now. I'll take the fielding and put it on someone else if I get another good training option. As it is everyone in the team who is worthwhile has a net, and the fielding will probably do more good on him than on someone with better secondaries, or a second primary net on a different player.

The reason I got him was actually because he could bat a bit. The guy I had at 8 in my side was a med/med all rounder, so a med/resp one for 1k was an obvious improvement, especially given he's two years younger. I also had two seamers and three spinners in my attack before. Not sure if that's a problem, but it seemed a bit imbalanced. This guy can replace the poorest of the spinners.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just listed Horne for 3.7m in case anyone cares:

Ben Horne (792092)
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, sublime
A cautious player with abysmal leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Plays For: Scaly Piscine CC
Nationality: England
Battrick Rating: 18,837
Wages: £6,311 p/w

Batting: mediocre Concentration: mediocre
Bowling: quality Consistency: mediocre
Fielding: abysmal

Dunno if he'll sell at that or not.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Help Please these are my rookies.. who should i have on training.. and what on..?? Help a brother out.. :)! Ive got 4 Bowling , 2 Batting, 2 Fielding, 2 Fitness.
Well, Tandy should definitely be trained...I'd put two bowling nets on him, and maybe a fielding as well if you can spare it - he'll be a useful #8 batsman if his concentration goes up a level or two. Competent fitness is fine for OD matches if you're using "sets of 5".

A bowling net on Hardiker wouldn't be wasted...but do you really want to be training up a 20yo Resp/Comp when 17/18yo Comp/Mediocres are available for a modest price?

Parker's a red herring - his Worthless consistency means that it's take a long time before he's any good. Instead, I'd try to cash in on him while young Proficients are still commanding high prices, and instead invest in a 17/18yo Competent or Resp with some secondaries.

Longthorn's worth a bowling net, and needs a fitness net too if you're going to keep going with him.

Petrie and Haynes are rubbish - get rid. If, as demonstrated by Faaip earlier, you can get better players for next to nothing, that's where you want to go.

So...that's 4 bowling, a fielding and a stamina. Now you need to get yourself a batting trainee or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.