• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm calling bull**** and you're kidding yourself if you believe that.
No I'm really not. I probably wouldn't be feeling as strongly about it if it wasn't an Aus victim, but there's no way I'd be pretending that a bloke who wasn't even actually involved in ball-tampering was somehow worse than all the others because of am absurd punishment.

Burgey

Presumably Harmo is content with Atherton being forever labelled a cheat then? Or does that not count because he’s more to be pitied than despised?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
No I'm really not. I probably wouldn't be feeling as strongly about it if it wasn't an Aus victim, but there's no way I'd be pretending that a bloke who wasn't even actually involved in ball-tampering was somehow worse than all the others because of am absurd punishment.
I think it separates the idiots from the intelligent. If you're still booing a guy who is in no way a cheat, and simply didn't blow the whistle, even after he puts on an absolute cricketing clinic and it's obvious he'd actually much rather you booed him, as it allows him to score ****loads of runs against your team, you are an imbecile. And not a true cricket fan, really.

Burgey

Smith: 16%
Kohli: 20%
Williamson: 14%
Root: 22%
Lara: 15%
Tendulkar: 11%
Ponting: 22%

Tendulkar the greatest of them all.
From a bowling POV, one hopes Smith doesn’t see this stat and decide to insert some more code to make him improve this part of his record too.

TheJediBrah

Not surprised to see Ponting on the higher side of those stats, always well known for being a dodgy starter he was

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Presumably Harmo is content with Atherton being forever labelled a cheat then? Or does that not count because he’s more to be pitied than despised?
And he's OK with not only himself being a cheat, but the whole 2005 Ashes team - which basically means that result was unjust and should be wiped from the record books. Or at least tainted with the cheating tag forever too.

One thing I hate in the world is hypocrisy. Jesus said it best about he without sin.

TheJediBrah

I think it separates the idiots from the intelligent. If you're still booing a guy who is in no way a cheat, and simply didn't blow the whistle, even after he puts on an absolute cricketing clinic and it's obvious he'd actually much rather you booed him, as it allows him to score ****loads of runs against your team, you are an imbecile. And not a true cricket fan, really.
Nailed it Steve.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
While I agree with the general sentiment of this post, I disagree fairly strongly with this. Smith was the ****ing captain, he obviously has the necessary authority and clout to put a stop to it immediately. Turning a blind eye to Warner's ****-wittery was implicitly supporting cheating, and I'm not sure how you can construe it otherwise.

Still doesn't make the crowds any less of a bunch of dickheads in this series, especially as Smith should never have copped anything more serious than maybe a 5 match ban in the first place.

Spark

Global Moderator
While I agree with the general sentiment of this post, I disagree fairly strongly with this. Smith was the ****ing captain, he obviously has the necessary authority and clout to put a stop to it immediately. Turning a blind eye to Warner's ****-wittery was implicitly supporting cheating, and I'm not sure how you can construe it otherwise.

Still doesn't make the crowds any less of a bunch of dickheads in this series, especially as Smith should never have copped anything more serious than maybe a 5 match ban in the first place.
Yeah that episode - and frankly the conduct of the team and particular individuals during that entire series - revealed that he isn't (wasn't?) especially good at being an actual leader of men who imposes discipline and standards. Which, okay, not every great batsman makes a good captain, but certainly doesn't absolve him of blame.

Daemon

Yeah that episode - and frankly the conduct of the team and particular individuals during that entire series - revealed that he isn't (wasn't?) especially good at being an actual leader of men who imposes discipline and standards. Which, okay, not every great batsman makes a good captain, but certainly doesn't absolve him of blame.
Everyone also forgets how he subsequently let them lie about the tape instead of straight up confessing the use of sandpaper.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
There's is no doubt that the bans were ridiculous and way over the top, but I'm sorry but I think that was a direct result of the ridiculous cricket mindset and culture in Aus. A country that says their cricket captain holds the second most important job in the land and holds firm to the belief that they and only they play the "tough but fair" line.

The behaviour of that side on that tour really left CA no choice but to come down tough on them......You had the Prime Minister baying for blood and the public in general wanted tough action.

Yes it's ridiculous and I doubt it would have been such a big deal in any other cricket country.

Smith had to take the bullet as captain of that side, but to this day it pisses me off that Lehmann walked away pretty much untarnished.......he should have been held to account more so than Smith imo.

OverratedSanity

Everyone also forgets how he subsequently let them lie about the tape instead of straight up confessing the use of sandpaper.
Absolutely. There's been a lame attempt at revisionism by some Aussies to absolve Smith of all blame. He definitely did a booboo, it's just that the punishment was very harsh.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
You had the Prime Minister baying for blood and the public in general wanted tough action.
Personally, I felt that the PM had no right to come down on the players in the way he did. Was just another pointless PR exercise.

Smith had to take the bullet as captain of that side, but to this day it pisses me off that Lehmann walked away pretty much untarnished.......he should have been held to account more so than Smith imo.
Agree 100%. Lehmann must surely consider himself rather fortunate.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
And as for the booing and general **** the crowd has dished out, it's just old and dire now......and clearly not working as it's spurring the **** on.

It was to be expected at first but now, it's just time to acknowledge and respect what a crazy good performance he's put in. Eng fans copped it sweet with Mitch Johnson in 2013......time now to do the same with Smith.