• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was the Smith LBW that really made me think they're being intimidated. That was not in a million years on line with the stumps, and yet Dar gave it out immediately. Didn't even pause to think about it.
Yeah but Edgbaston only the 16th most intimidating ground in the world you know.

cnerd123

likes this
Is there some sort of psychological training the ICC could give umpires, at least at the top level, or something like that?

I'd think they'd at least have the funds to look into something
plenty of training, coaching, seminars etc.

players bottle it and have awful games all the time. idk why you expect umpires to be any different. they're humans and pressure/self doubt affects them too. Joes had a shocker today and no doubt it's been building from the first poor call he made today. Just like a batsman playing a shocker after wafting at/edging a few early. Except in a batsman's case they can be dismissed and put out of their misery. No such luck for an umpire.

cnerd123

likes this
It was the Smith LBW that really made me think they're being intimidated. That was not in a million years on line with the stumps, and yet Dar gave it out immediately. Didn't even pause to think about it.
haven't seen it so won't comment but do keep in mind that what you see on TV isn't what the umpires on field are seeing. Could look very different from their vantage point.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Time for bed, annoyingly. Wanted to watch the opening spells from our bowlers (not Siddle). Would have been nicer if they were tomorrow evening.

aussie tragic

International Captain
haven't seen it so won't comment but do keep in mind that what you see on TV isn't what the umpires on field are seeing. Could look very different from their vantage point.
Do you just automatically defend umpires no matter what...you said you hadn't seen it ffs

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
****ing hell that's a massive edge. This is beyond dire. As bad as spintolose's posting.
See you in the taste it thread after Siddle has bowled. He's already done better with the bat than 6 of those that came before him.

As for an out of form Ali being picked on a seamers wicket after 3 days of continuous rain. Well, if you agree with that I don't need to say any more, lol. You should take your rightful place next to Ed Smith, with James Taylor (possibly dancing) on your lap... ?

cnerd123

likes this
Do you just automatically defend umpires no matter what...you said you hadn't seen it ffs
I have to since no one here offers any sort of nuanced perspective on the topic of umpiring.

Posters here know a lot about what makes players tick, techniques, strategies, and are always discussing both sides of every topic that comes up. Poster X says one thing, and inevitably Poster Y will offer a counterpoint.

No one does that here for umpires and the administration, so I take it on myself to balance out the discussion. What's the point in joining a massive circlejerk or letting this place turn into one giant echo chamber?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That sweep swap from Siddle moves him past Vinod Kambli into 509th spot all time leading runscorers.