Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: *Officlal* Commentary Praise Thread

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Damien Fleming isn't bad

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Not commentary per se, but I watched the first Forged In Fire episode and the biggest take from it is Thommo is the loosest unit on the planet.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Not commentary per se, but I watched the first Forged In Fire episode and the biggest take from it is Thommo is the loosest unit on the planet.

This was very nicely made. Not hard to see why people and the players involved reminisce so much about cricket back in those days. Agree with you about Thomson.

U19 Debutant
    I think Hussain, Vaughn and Atherton are good commentators. I mean, not just a group of blokes who make rubbish jokes and chat about cricket but actually commenting on the events at hand, the position of the game and so on.

The BT team is pretty rubbish. Gilly comes across like a child, Ponting is ok but not great and so on.

Glenn McGrath on TMS is actually impartial, and moreover seems like a fairly decent human being. One is never too old to be surprised.
    Jones! Bowden!

Cricket Web Staff Member quincywagstaff's Avatar
    I watched most of this series and it was pretty well made (if a bit heavy-handed and pretentious). The downside to the 1974/75 & 1981 eps is that they were already covered by the ABC cricket docos done in the 2000s so there wasn't much terribly new to be said there. The 2005 was more interesting though; actually favourite bit was all the reaction to the Australian team wearing the baggy greens at the Wimbledon 2001 final.

Cricket Web Staff Member quincywagstaff's Avatar
    In terms of Oz radio coverage, Macquarie's is pretty good.

Tim Lane is still an excellent cricket caller (big loss when he left ABC cricket in the early 00s) and Bruce Eva is a pretty good ball-by-ball caller as well. In terms of special comments, Ian Chappell is better utilised than the self-indulgence and silliness of Ch 9, John Emburey is good for an alternate non-Oz perspective, Mike Hussey is solid (better than he was on Ch 9) and Glen McGrath is OK if a bit bland. Damien Fleming provides some good insight but his constant desire to talk about himself and his career is tedious.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I thought the best part of the 2005 episode was Strauss sledging Warne when he was facing Giles, saying he was struggling and Warne saying the only bloke struggling was Strauss because he was ****ing ****, and if he said anything else Warne would hit the next ball for six.

Understandably, Strauss chirped him again and Warne dutifully plonked the next ball about 10 rows back over midwicket.

Warne was and is a complete ****, but he was an amazing cricketer, and he was a one man army on that tour.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    It is produced by Cricket Australia. I'm suspecting the same unbiased and factually based approach we have all come to expect from Australians pertaining to international sport?
    He (Alastair Cook) and his family are very much the sort of people we want the England captain and his family to be
    Giles Clark
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

It contains interviews with players from both sides, and two of the three series featured are 81 and 05. But sure.

I mean, I know the British typically approach their sport with complete equanimity. Ne’er a biased word spoken or written.
    Last edited by Burgey; 17-12-2017 at 03:17 PM.

It contains interviews with players from both sides, and two of the three series featured are 81 and 05. But sure.
    I remember watching a Channel Nine potboiler called ''Cricket in the 70s'' and ''80s'' on youtube and enduring fifteen minutes of Australians whinging - yes, whinging, thirty years after the event - about fusarium-gate.

That was an abc documentary about the Chappell era.

Fortunately it contained interviews with a number of English players, none of whom felt at all aggrieved with what was dished out to them in 74/75.

That was an abc documentary about the Chappell era.

Fortunately it contained interviews with a number of English players, none of whom felt at all aggrieved with what was dished out to them in 74/75.
    I assumed it was Nine as it spent so long brown nosing Packer/World Series Cricket.

Yeah because WSC wasn’t a significant development in Cricket in the 70s.

Anyway, I really DGAF whether you watch it or not. Imo it’s a decent doco series worth a squizz.

I'll watch it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information