• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at Adelaide

Woodster

International Captain
I also think Woakes will be a bit more of a handful this Test if there’s a bit of life and movement in it. It was a surprise to go for Ball over Overton and I don’t think they’ll revert to Overton after the one Test.

As for Wood, we all know what he adds to the side when he is fully fit and firing, ie bowling at full tilt, can’t imagine he’ll be in that position by Adelaide.

I also agree on Bairstow being too low at the moment, this is a great opportunity to give him more time at the crease and he deserves the opportunity to bat at six for me.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
No way England will pick up a test here as we cannot pick up 20 wickets. That Australian 2nd innings could have lasted 20 days and England still wouldn't have a wicket. Bring in Wood and Crane.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Wood is clearly different to the others, and in a way that would seem to suit conditions down under. He looks terrific early this summer against the Saffers and he'll add a lot if healthy. Crane on the other hand is definitely a weird one, especially with Rashid just sitting there. Also I wouldn't take out Woakes at this point just because he's better with the bat than any other option, at least until you can fix the top order somehow.
Um did you watch that series? He was terrible.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
I think it is 1-0.
??

But seriously, it's 1-0 and they performed way better than expected and might have the best all rounder in the world coming back into the team. No need to panic, a couple of the bowlers underperformed- like I said before the main problem for me is bairstow batting way too far down the order. It's nothing that can't be fixed and certainly doesn't require major surgery, especially given the general consensus that the day night game will be good for jimmy.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Um did you watch that series? He was terrible.
Looked great in the one day games then tailed off in the test series where he was by all accounts playing below full fitness. I'm not saying rush him back in, but if he does well for the lions then that could be a very good alternative option

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
I also think Woakes will be a bit more of a handful this Test if there’s a bit of life and movement in it. It was a surprise to go for Ball over Overton and I don’t think they’ll revert to Overton after the one Test.

As for Wood, we all know what he adds to the side when he is fully fit and firing, ie bowling at full tilt, can’t imagine he’ll be in that position by Adelaide.

I also agree on Bairstow being too low at the moment, this is a great opportunity to give him more time at the crease and he deserves the opportunity to bat at six for me.
Maybe even top five for me, if he can't keep and bat that high at the same time then he shouldn't keep (especially given that foakes first class average is only four below small).

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm trying to think back to last year - wasn't there a lot less swing and seam movement in the evening than the year before? I seem to recall they left a fair bit less grass on the deck than the year before as the pink ball now holds up ok.
Pretty sure you're right. Would love to see the wicket of 2 years ago as that would surely suit us best......but the chances of that are pretty remote.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
You can't give Warner a small total to chase. He loves it. You need scoreboard pressure which you don't look capable of right now.

adub

International Captain
I agree Burgey, there wasn't anything too dramatic about the swing under lights last year in Adelaide.

Starc and Haze ripped the Saffers top order apart before dinner and they declared with an hour to go to try and use the evening conditions. Uzi and Renshaw just blocked it out.

Abbott got Renshaw and Warner early next afternoon, but then it needed a run out to stop Smith, Khawaja went big and Handscomb racked up a 50 on debut. Mad Dog and Wade going cheap under lights isn't really surprising. They would have done the same in bright sunshine.

Then Starc belted a 50 with the tail to pretty much win the game next afternoon. Saffer's battled to 6/196 at stumps with only Cook and Amla showing any resistance. They lost 4 in the last session, but three of those were to Lyon, so you can hardly say swing was the problem.

Starc, Haze and Bird cleaned up the tail next day and we didn't have any real problems chasing 127.

The pitch still had a bit, but no where near as much grass as the first d/n test. Pretty standard cricket. Will still very likely be the most favourable conditions for the English attack they get over here, but expecting it to be hooping around like an overcast day in blighty with a Dukes is unrealistic. Good conditions to bat if you get in, fast outfield, but plenty of pace, and a bit in it for the bowlers. Huge crowds. Should be an absolute cracker.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I think that while facing a new ball under lights is more difficult the effect is exaggerated and teams tend to psyche themselves out about it.

As far as I recall the most Starc moved the ball during the SA match was his morning spell with the new ball at the end of SA's second innings, and that in the match the most difficult period for batting seemed to when Abbott was bowling on the second morning. And the ball didn't move that much more at night, if at all.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lehman on radio this morning said the hardest thing the players find in day night FC and test matches is picking up the ball early, rather than the amount of swing or seam movement.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's the impression I've gained as well. I suspect people will get used to it - no one seems to have trouble with the white ball under lights now.

adub

International Captain
Lehman on radio this morning said the hardest thing the players find in day night FC and test matches is picking up the ball early, rather than the amount of swing or seam movement.
That sounds pretty right. Which is where the extra yard of pace for the Aussie quicks becomes a big advantage. There seems to be plenty of big scores in the D/N tests played so far (bar the 1st one) but also lots of low scores which seems to indicate that once you get used to picking it up you can play the pink ball fine, but it can be tough at the start.

jcas0167

International Debutant
McCullum said in his book that Williamson complained he was having trouble picking up the seam while batting in that D/N test.