• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sights around the Ashes Towns

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Starting with Brisbane, home of the Gabba.

Here is a recent visitor to the city's Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

stephen

What year was that last one taken? I remember as a kid being taken to the Gabba when it still had the dog track.

stephen

Saw a model on a photo shoot at Anzac square yesterday at lunch. Should have taken a few photos and posted them here.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not much to see in Brisbane generally tbh. A real visual non-event as a town. Crap restaurants and bars too.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Given the dog track seems to only have been added when the ground was redeveloped in the early seventies ('70–'72?), it didn't last particularly long.

Similarly, the straight Southern Stand was constructed before, and demolished after, the Main (northern) stand.

This is what it looked like before that development:

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Crap restaurants and bars too.
Seriously, you don't like South Bank?? Can't say I've spent a heap of time there.........but a couple of work trips and I loved it.

But before any of you QLD'ers go getting excited I still think the Gabba is the worst venue in Aus.

stephen

Best place to eat in SEQ is a French restaurant at Flaxton. Three courses for around $33 of ridiculously great food.

There are plenty of great eating spots in Brisbane but you have to know them. It's not like Melbourne where every street has an awesome cafe. In Brisbane you have to know where to go. We have a decently high standard of Indian places around as well as Thai places and steakhouses. There's some great eating on Eagle St as well, if you can tolerate the prices.

Southbank is a bit touristy for my liking but if I was visiting it'd be a good place to go.

I actually agree with Burgey that Brisbane itself doesn't have a huge amount of stuff that's great for tourists. But what it does have is really good access to the Sunshine and Gold Coasts, affordable housing within an hour of the CBD, some really nice cycling tracks and a friendly and laid back lifestyle. Moreton Island is pretty amazing too if you can get there.

Sydney has a lot more tourist traps and Melbourne is just a great place to go for shopping and culture. Adelaide is nice if you want to feel isolated in the middle of a CBD. I haven't been to Hobart, Canberra or Perth but I haven't heard great things about them.

The Gabba is probably the most cauldron-y and least charming ground in Australia. It's a great place to play and watch cricket though. There really aren't any bad seats. We make up for it by having the best football ground in the world (Lang Park/Suncorp Stadium).

Cow

Banned
Perth is super boring.

Get down to Margaret River if you like wine and surfing.

Full of British ex-pats with horrendous stories about why they emigrated.

Burgey

Seriously, you don't like South Bank?? Can't say I've spent a heap of time there.........but a couple of work trips and I loved it.

But before any of you QLD'ers go getting excited I still think the Gabba is the worst venue in Aus.
Nah, it’s like a mini Darling Harbour, which is terrible too.

Burgey

Perth is super boring.

Get down to Margaret River if you like wine and surfing.

Full of British ex-pats with horrendous stories about why they emigrated.
Margaret River is indeed awesome. If in Adelaide I would recommend Maclaren Vale which is not dissimilar.