• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Haddin?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, 1 nil down and keeping at Lords with the slope would be a very hard debut. I'm not too confident that Nev would be supertidy or anything but I am confident that he wont gift his wicket as easily as Haddin tends to do.

Even if Haddin plays, Nev belongs in the discussion to take Watto's 6 spot too.
Not confident Haddins experience at Lords means anything right now. Persisting with him for this series then dropping him is all kind of bad cause Nev didn't get to keep at home to India or in the WI.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
After Ponting retired Haddin was pretty vital to the team, but as we continue to pick older guys and the players like Warner and Smith have etablished themselves, I don't really see anyone going to Haddin for anything bar Nevil who is obviously his direct competition.

I feel as though the selectors have shown too much patience with a good but not great Test Cricketer and it is something I feel is completely an Australian-way. You see selectors doing the same in League and football (before Ange came in).

Also a little off topic but it seems as though a fast bowler out of form gets dropped way easier than a struggling allrounder or keeper. why do you think that is?

Last edited:

Swingpanzee

International Regular
yeah am a fan of Hads but reckon he's done. Would be bad debuting Nevill 1-0 down at Lords, but reckon he might actually do well.

Watson has to go for either Shaun or Mitch Marsh.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
During the Matador Cup I thought he looked a much better keeper. I also watched him keep (who am I kidding I was watching Sid bowl) a bit during the shield on the live stream and he looked ok. i wonder if he is the first pick behind Nevill, probably..

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Should have retired altogether after the World Cup IMO. The West Indies series was the perfect chance to get Nev into the side ahead of the Ashes.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Should have retired altogether after the World Cup IMO. The West Indies series was the perfect chance to get Nev into the side ahead of the Ashes.
Yeah, think if the Ashes was another year longer on he would have. But been part of two losing series in England, think the carrot was enough to push on.

This will be a test of where Lehmann is at, he was ruthless in 2013 but will he do the same here with guys who have gotten the job done in his time.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i would say more inept than ruthless in regards to 2013. The panel dumps cowan as opener because watson plays his best cricket opening or whatever, setting up a problem when warner returns (where does he bat? does rogers get dumped?), then dumps cowan after the first test, again setting up a problem when warner returns (who gets dumped, if anyone, when warner returns. Smith? Hughes? Usman after one test?), then warner stats at 6 for the 3rd test (Hughes gets dumped), but wait, watson starts 6 for the the fourth, but wait, we dump usman for the last test, replace him with james ****ing faulkner instead of giving the screwed over hughes the last test, and then starts watson at 3.

it was ****ing sucky selection because we kept on losing tests and We Had To Send A Message after each loss. It's sucky that it seems Watson will only get dropped now we've lost a test instead of the 10,000 other opportunities over the past 2 years (but we had just won those matches/series and You Can't Change A Winning Team)

Spikey

anyway, yes, haddin should be dropped. i suspect they will not until it's too late, similar to Prior last Ashes

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i would say more inept than ruthless in regards to 2013. The panel dumps cowan as opener because watson plays his best cricket opening or whatever, setting up a problem when warner returns (where does he bat? does rogers get dumped?), then dumps cowan after the first test, again setting up a problem when warner returns (who gets dumped, if anyone, when warner returns. Smith? Hughes? Usman after one test?), then warner stats at 6 for the 3rd test (Hughes gets dumped), but wait, watson starts 6 for the the fourth, but wait, we dump usman for the last test, replace him with james ****ing faulkner instead of giving the screwed over hughes the last test, and then starts watson at 3.

it was ****ing sucky selection because we kept on losing tests and We Had To Send A Message after each loss. It's sucky that it seems Watson will only get dropped now we've lost a test instead of the 10,000 other opportunities over the past 2 years (but we had just won those matches/series and You Can't Change A Winning Team)
It wasn't the best period of selection but it was probably inevitable - I think with Lehmann coming in at such a late stage there was going to be some sort of adjustment; him looking to find the right mix for the side that he wanted to build.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think he'll keep getting picked because it will be viewed as a psychological negative to drop two players after a bad team performance, and because Haddin is an important part of team makeup etc, but Nevill would certainly perform better for mine. Actually I think picking Haddin for the second test would hurt the team more than picking Watson would, though Watson is much more likely to get dropped (and I think both should be). Realistically he'll either get dropped after 3-4 terrible tests in a row if Australia are having a bad series, or he will retire from tests along with Rogers and probably Watson at the end of the series.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah, think if the Ashes was another year longer on he would have. But been part of two losing series in England, think the carrot was enough to push on.

This will be a test of where Lehmann is at, he was ruthless in 2013 but will he do the same here with guys who have gotten the job done in his time.
Think you would have had a very different squad had it been another year on to this ashes. Not just Haddin who would have gone and poor old Harris.