• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best one-sided series?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Okay so its only 3-0 so this could change, but I was having a chat with some mates and one of them mentioned that this is the most entertaining and enthralling "one-sided" series he's ever seen. Obviously the really close and topsy turvy cricket contests are the ones that go down as memorable and are discussed for many years, but I couldn't think of another series where there have been three wallopings, but the cricket has been utterly awesome to watch. I think Mitch Johnson and his raw pace is definitely a factor, as well as the fact that its Australia who are the ones dominating which has come as a surprise to most people. Nevertheless its extremely odd for 3 tests which were pretty much over by the time the 4th innings started had been such great viewing.

I mean England beating India 4-0 in '11, Australia beating England in '06 5-0, India beating Australia 4-0 this year etc. were no where near as good viewing.

Can anyone remember a one-sided series that was still entertaining and made you not want to switch off the TV?*

* this obviously excludes English fans who couldn't handle the pain at such an ungodly hour and did switch off the TV, which is fair enough.

Jassy

Banned
Okay so its only 3-0 so this could change, but I was having a chat with some mates and one of them mentioned that this is the most entertaining and enthralling "one-sided" series he's ever seen. Obviously the really close and topsy turvy cricket contests are the ones that go down as memorable and are discussed for many years, but I couldn't think of another series where there have been three wallopings, but the cricket has been utterly awesome to watch. I think Mitch Johnson and his raw pace is definitely a factor, as well as the fact that its Australia who are the ones dominating which has come as a surprise to most people. Nevertheless its extremely odd for 3 tests which were pretty much over by the time the 4th innings started had been such great viewing.

I mean England beating India 4-0 in '11, Australia beating England in '06 5-0, India beating Australia 4-0 this year etc. were no where near as good viewing.

Can anyone remember a one-sided series that was still entertaining and made you not want to switch off the TV?*

* this obviously excludes English fans who couldn't handle the pain at such an ungodly hour and did switch off the TV, which is fair enough.
Pakistan vs England 3-0, UAE?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
India's 4-0 loses clearly.

But in all seriousness, England in the UAE was the most entertaining whitewash I've ever seen. Was a pretty awesome series.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Loved Ajmal and Rahman's bowling. Monty and Swann were class, as were Anderson and Gul. But the best was Broad. That series was just for the bowlers, with very few excellent batting performances.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah see I thought of UAE 3-0 but the second and third matches were really ****ing close, and itself had varying fortunes. Whilst England were on top briefly in the early stages of the first 3 tests they were on the whole one-sided tests. Can't say the same about UAE.

Jassy

Banned
I thought we were talking scorelines? Otherwise, India in England 2010 had 2 matches that were headed for draws well into day 5 and a third where India actually managed to get a first innings lead. I thought Australia vs India this year was good too. It was hardly as one-sided as the scoreline seems to suggest. Incredibly enough, the team that got whitewashed won all the tosses!

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
The Ashes just been in England was pretty good. Obviously for an Australian supporter it wasn't great, and it probably wasn't as one-sided as the 3-0 scoreline suggests. But there were certainly a lot of exciting moment throughout the series.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India in England were on top at TB until Broad went mental with the ball then should have drawn at least one other game.

Obviously this hasn't been fun at all but some of the cricket has been enthralling as Johnson has been great and seeing some bloke bowl 90+mph fizzbombs and destroy a side is always entertaining whoever it is against.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
India in England were on top at TB until Broad went mental with the ball then should have drawn at least one other game.
First 2 tests of Eng vs. India 4-0 were more of a contest than the first 3 here, definitely. But there's been something about this series. Such one-sided tests are never this good to watch really (unless you support the team dominating I guess).

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Jono, you'll struggle to convince any Englishmen that getting walloped in the Ashes is better than walloping India to become number one. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I thought we were talking scorelines? Otherwise, India in England 2010 had 2 matches that were headed for draws well into day 5
In the same way that the WACA Test was headed for a draw into day 5 you mean?

That series was a lot more one-sided than this one has been. On Day 1 of each Test England have been in the ascendancy/on par after losing the toss each time. The final results have been big I accept but the gulf in 2011 was huge.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not for the first two tests it wasn't. Draw was favourite at Lord's heading into day 5 with the bookies, and India were favourites with the bookies at Trent Bridge on day 2 at 4/267.

I agree that the gulf between those two teams was huge by the end of the series, but nevertheless India were in the first 2 tests longer than England were. Post-day 1 of every test Australia were less than $2 to win.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry by post day 1 I meant that at some point on day 2 of every test.

Anyway much of a muchness. I think this has been an extremely entertaining series considering England probably couldn't win by day 3 of every test.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
OK, fair enough. I agree it has been one-sided and England are deservedly 3-0 down but on each of the Day 1's they've had the Aussies in a bit of bother to say the least. Probably not enough to affect the result, considering how well the Aussies have bowled (and how poorly some of our batsmen have played), but you do wonder at times "what if"

burr

State Vice-Captain
There's been some great catching this series too. Always makes cricket more enjoyable.

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
No cant agree with this call at all.
The best one sided series and I dont think anything else will come close was 06/07 5-0 series.

Brisbane first test
Ponting making 196
McGrath bowling 6/50
Langer 100*
Collingwood 96

Adelaide second Test
Probably the greatest Test ever played EVER.
Collingwood 206
Ponting 142
Hoggard 7/109
Warne Domination to steal the greatest test ever IMO 4/49 Pieterson around the Legs.

Perth Third Test
Hussey 74*
Panesar 5/92
Peiterson 70
Then we witnessed the best and quickest 100 in Ashes history by Gilchrist anyone that say it was blown away. First 50 off 40 balls then got to 100 off just 57 balls. It WAS AMAZING
Clarke 135* overshadowed by Gilchrist century
Cook 115

Melbourne Fourth Test
Warne 5/39 rolled England and they had NO answer
Symonds 156
Lee 4/47 finished them off in 3 days with Warne being brilliant

Sydney Fifth Test
Probably the saddest day for Bowling fans worldwide.
Flintoff 89
Warne 71 Man of the Match
McGrath 3/38
3 great cricketers retired for the Aussies Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Justin Langer

Probably the greatest ashes from a Aussies POV ever.

For those who missed Gilchrist 100.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVBQGvo7jCY
For those who missed the adelaide test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkwhvfbXLps

Last edited: