• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann

Spark

Global Moderator
itt people find it impossible to comprehend the idea that someone might change their mind

edit: having said that, oh to be a fly in the wall in the english dressing room right now. doesn't say much for the morale/spirit of the team, this.

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Age at which England regulars of the last 10/15 years played their last game

Strauss 35, Collingwood 34, Harmison 30, Flintoff 31, Vaughan 33, Sidebottom 32, Hoggard 31, Trescothick 30, Giles 33, Butcher 32, Hussain 36, Alex Stewart 40, Gough 32, Atherton 33, Caddick 34, Hick 34, Ramprakash 32, Trott 32?, Swann 34

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Age at which England regulars of the last 10/15 years played their last game

Strauss 35, Collingwood 34, Harmison 30, Flintoff 31, Vaughan 33, Sidebottom 32, Hoggard 31, Trescothick 30, Giles 33, Butcher 32, Hussain 36, Alex Stewart 40, Gough 32, Atherton 33, Caddick 34, Hick 34, Ramprakash 32, Trott 32?, Swann 34
34 looks quite normal among that lot. I think some of us have to remember that he started playing first class cricket back in 1998. He has had a long career. I wonder if the extra first cricket matches in England compared to other countries, burn out players a little earlier? I imagine Swanny will get on the T20 circuit one of these days.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he had done this he would've done it pre-series. Which would've been fine. Not now.
Oh stahp it the guy has had a serious elbow injury, he's just said he can't last five days any more, what is the ****ing problem, these matches don't mean owt, should he wear his elbow into the ground for you and your views on cricket, this is just deluded, utterly mad and pathetic.

Really don't want to infringe the rules of the board but you and Jonty Panesar just seem poisonous here. I and others have told you why it wasn't a horrific time to retire, so why the hatred.

I'm fine with jokey stuff from aussies, because that's what I'd do in a similar situation, but this just seems vindictive.

Take a breathe, realise a decent player has retired,and get over it.

cpr

International Coach
They won't play two spinners imo because there are no other good spinners.

Borthwick is in Aus but he ain't good enough and spins it in the same direction as Panesar. Moeen Ali would be the only option if they wanted a second spinner. He could bat 6 with Stokes at 7 and offer some decent offbreaks but again he's no frontline spin bowler. But Ali has gone back to England now.

The other three spinners playing in aus currently of the top of my head are Stephen Parry, James Sykes and Ryan Buckley. Parry is the only half decent one - and could get a test match if England don't call anyone up and Panesar breaks down on the day of the game. For this reason I think England will have to call someone up. They're not going to risk Kerrigan again so for that reason I'd guess Borthwick or Ali will get called up.

Considering Parry rarely plays in FC games, he won't get a call, they'd be more likely to drag someone else in who's playing elsewhere.... However do they need to? It's two tests which won't affect the series result, in a country where spin doesn't really win games, against batsmen high in confidence ready to smash a slower bowler around if he isn't prepared.

As for Swann, lets look at his point of view. His elbow is knackered, every ball physically hurts. He felt he could still do it, play through the pain for the sake of the team, as he was still no 1 spinner. The team fell easily, now he's mentally battered and physically broken. There is no future for him, and no reward for the team to gain by him playing through the pain for the next two games (even if he could make the difference, which the last 3 matches suggest otherwise). There's a perfectly serviceable replancement in Panesar by his side. Theres a wife and children at home wanting him back, pleading to spend Christmas as a family for once (and probably wanted him to see reason before he went, knowing his physical limitations). There is nothing to achieve sporting wise pushing the career on two games, but so much to benefit on a personal and family level by accepting its over and returning home - Cricket isn't his life anymore, they are (well, until he pops up in a commentary box trying to give amusing anecdotes, but that wont be until May....). Only a selfish, deluded madman would stay on and try and prove nothing.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Oh stahp it the guy has had a serious elbow injury, he's just said he can't last five days any more, what is the ****ing problem, these matches don't mean owt, should he wear his elbow into the ground for you and your views on cricket, this is just deluded, utterly mad and pathetic.

Really don't want to infringe the rules of the board but you and Jonty Panesar just seem poisonous here. I and others have told you why it wasn't a horrific time to retire, so why the hatred.

I'm fine with jokey stuff from aussies, because that's what I'd do in a similar situation, but this just seems vindictive.

I'm pretty sure you're the one taking this too seriously. I love watching him bowl. I really wanted to see more of him and Panesar together with three seamers. I, a greedy cricket fan, wanted to see more of him, not less. I just don't like how he has retired. That's all there is to it. I don't hate him now. I didn't hate Mike Hussey when he retired either.

Swann didn't cite his injury as a reason for his retirement. Thank you for authoritatively telling me why this wasn't a bad time to retire. My words, poisonous. Your condescending tone, not poisonous. Cool.

Yup, it's all about being vindictive. Because if you're not an Aussie, you must not criticize the timing of his retirement. That would be too disrespectful.

Last edited:

dumastudetto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's ashame we don't get a swann song in Sydney because England will definitely win that test match. I think he would have gone well at the MCG too because the Aussies can't handle a turning ball.

91Jmay

International Coach
Is there someone foreign we can pick? Although it didn't work out that well for Aus and S.A thinking about it.

Parry just a limited overs dart man isn't he? Rashid's plus is that he is a really good bat, much better than Swann. Rafiq barely turns the thing from the little I've seen.

adub

International Captain
edit: having said that, oh to be a fly in the wall in the english dressing room right now. doesn't say much for the morale/spirit of the team, this.
Shot ducks. Does this ease or increase the pressure on Prior though?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he had done this he would've done it pre-series. Which would've been fine. Not now.
that's not the scenario I gave you, but if Swann had announced his retirement pre-series, there'd be a lot of people saying that with the series now gone, maybe they should move on and leave Swann out of the team.

grecian

In reply to jonty Panesar

My condescending tone is what makes me poisonous and obviously loved at the same time. Always prone to taking things too serious too, you may well have psyched into my spirit-poster.

I think as I kind of mentioned in the post, you lovely fluffy thing, that he did say physically he found it hard to play 5 days, which is kind of citing his injury, but am I being too condescending for diddums by mentioning that, Would hate to be condescending just because some slight idjit can't understand what has been written or even comprehend it n a sane way. Yet I'm certain you aren't like that and are on top of the story, WAG.

Last edited:

Jarquis

This thread is ****ing appalling.

Swann doesn't owe it to anyone to play on for any reason. It's his career, his body and he can retire when he wants. Whether it be through physical injury or a change of attitude towards the game or both. Despite saying that, I think it's ****ing daft that some of you seem to think this is a snap judgement or one made in isolation. The bloke has just called time on his career after having to wait and wait and wait to be given a go in Test matches before going on to be one of England's greatest spinners in all 3 formats and being a leading part of their most successful period ever. That's a big call.
As has been said, he's not just going from Tests, he's not just going from International cricket - he's just gone from cricket now. This in spite of the fact his workload, with regards to ODIs, has been managed for absolutely ages now.
I think he's said it all himself though; there's nothing to be gained by him playing these last two tests. He won't benefit as he can't contribute to the levels he'd like anymore, the team won't benefit - for the same reasons. So what's the point in carrying on? So hendrix won't call him names? So Nath won't laugh at him? So Joe Bloggs can watch a previous great send down lollipops at the SCG rather than Monty Panesar trying to nail his spot down in the side again?
Nah, **** off.
I reckon making the decision immediately is far tougher. Retiring when you're expected to (I mean, most people were pragmatic about Swann's future) is a lot easier in my mind, other people have effectively made the decision for you. Going now won't have been easy.

Anyway, more of a rant than it probably warrants (probably not though, people are dicks) but IDEC. I loved Swann and watching him bowl, he did some brilliant things for England and, yeah, I'll miss him now he's gone but even I, one of his biggest fans who would give a limb to see a Swann 10fer at the SCG before he goes, won't begrudge him this.

Johnners

I love how people get so upset at sports men & women daring to retire when they feel it's right for them individually, as opposed to when it suits the fans who obviously know better than the players how their body is feeling, where there head is at, and about their home-life. It's also quite ironic given that most scream bloody murder when someone dares tell them when they should retire from whatever their line of work is.

Bloke could bowl no doubt, slightly disappointed we don't get to see him have a crack in the last 2 tests if only because I wanted to see Watto try and pick-up their battle where he left off in Perth.

adub

International Captain
Of course he can and should retire exactly whenever the **** he likes. When you're done you're done.

I actually quite respect a guy who half way through a series knows it's no point trying to keep going. Martyn, McGill and Ponting all did the same and I don't think much would have been gained by any continuing to deny what their hearts were telling them.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

This thread is ****ing appalling.

Swann doesn't owe it to anyone to play on for any reason. It's his career, his body and he can retire when he wants. .
Of course he doesn't owe anyone and can do what he wants. He hasn't broken any laws, has he? It doesn't mean that I can't criticise him for his decision.

I could quite my job right now, couldn't I? I mean, I don't have to do **** for anyone. It would completely screw over my boss, but I don't owe them, right?

And no, if you listen to what he said he didn't retire because of his elbow injury. He specifically retired because they have no hope to win the Ashes anymore. Well, now they have no hope of winning a test match.

Fantastic career and all, but he should have announced it to his captain pre series.

Spark

Global Moderator
And no, if you listen to what he said he didn't retire because of his elbow injury. He specifically retired because they have no hope to win the Ashes anymore. Well, now they have no hope of winning a test match.
I don't think they're the ones who haven't listened to what Swann actually said here.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How do you know Cook or the management didn't know he wanted tp retire at the end of the series hendrix?