• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swann probably referring to us with that comment, and with Warner, Watson and Clarke that's a whole raft of circumstantial evidence.
When I read the comment, that was my first thought too. Nothing he's said categorically says he's talking about his former team mates.

howardj

International Coach
Firstly, what a magnificent career. I read today that he's taken the most Test wickets of any bowler since his debut in 2008 until present. That said, I agree with this piece that it is just wrong to quit in the middle of a tour, bale out on your teammates, and then top it off by making the comments that he has. Has all the hallmarks of a guy with his head up his backside. I like Swan, and he's had a great career, that's one of the reasons why this is so disappointing.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whichever way you cut it this ain't going to make it any easier for England to salvage anything at Sydney or Melbourne so whatever he may say about others Swann is certainly off on a frolic of his own at the moment with **** all consideration to the rest of the team

Spark

Global Moderator
Why would those comments be aimed at an Australian player? :mellow:

Doesn't make sense to me. Don't know who they could be aimed at though, probably one of those off-the-cuff remarks which sounds worse than it really is.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about

"Some people playing the game at the minute have no idea how far up their own backsides they are," Swann said after his retirement announcement.

"It will bite them on the arse one day and when it does I hope they look back and are embarrassed about how they carried on."
In which case... yeah, David Warner. Turns out I can't read posts in order.

EDIT2: Turns out I'm having difficulties today.

"It really annoys me when people take playing for England for granted and get above their station. It’s the most privileged thing they can do."

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Whichever way you cut it this ain't going to make it any easier for England to salvage anything at Sydney or Melbourne so whatever he may say about others Swann is certainly off on a frolic of his own at the moment with **** all consideration to the rest of the team
This. I was pretty pissed off with it all yesterday when the news broke but was kinda hoping as time went on and more came out there would be something there that I could use to justify Swann for this appalling timing........seems like the reverse is happening and he is digging a bigger hole for himself.

Gutted, I love Swanny....loved everything about the man and the way he went about his cricket...........this is not how I ever envisaged the end of his career.

Hooksey

Banned
The Swann mid-tour retirement and the media sideshow accompanying it is the last thing England needed when 3-0 down and desperately trying to avoid further humiliation.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The Swann mid-tour retirement and the media sideshow accompanying it is the last thing England needed when 3-0 down and desperately trying to avoid further humiliation.
Not often that I've agreed with you Hooksey but you are spot on there.

A lot of people have said that the timing is irrelevant at 3-0 down and the Ashes gone....perfect time to move on for Swann and the England team. But that depends on if you believe in dead rubbers or not..........I don't. Well dead rubbers might exist in some poxy 7 game one day series, but they don't exist in Ashes cricket IMO.

This time should be about England restoring some pride, making a statement that we are beaten but we are not done........it should not be about Graeme Swann and his lack of desire and even his injuries. If he was going to be dropped then so be it, stick around the team, support the 3 Lions that he has said he loves so much and wait 2 short weeks and then make it about him......then we could celebrate his fantastic career and whilst he wouldn't finish on high it wouldn't be with this horrible sour taste a lot of people have got right now.

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
I didnt mind Swann as a cricketer or as a Entertainer for our sport.
But to leave his team mates even if not picked mid tour is probably the weakest decision seen in my many years as a cricketing fan.

Broad has a excuse as does Trott IMO but surely Swann was still needed to get some pride back at Sydney at least and to finish what they started.

So this Ashes series when leaders were needed and specially now with the 2 big loses he just quits.
Reminds me a Bit of Duran ''NO MAS'' ****ing WEAK AS PISS.
And I liked Swann now Im afraid for me he will be now known as the quitter

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The really difficult part is working oh which England players Swann isn't referring to. Let's go through the side:

Cook - uppity. Basically wears a sign on his forehead that says "I'm a private school tosspot" (all private school students are tosspots ftr)

Carberry - honest bloke. Won't be him

Root - thinks his **** doesn't stink. But it does

KP - well, yeah

Bell - had one good series and think he's God's gift and is living off it without putting in on tour

Stokes - decent player but seems a knob. Should fit in well then

Prior - knob jockey

Broad - same as Bell

Bresnan - solid bloke. Not him

Anderson - dining out on past glories and still gobby despite getting a pasting. Is a dick head.

Panesar - pisses on people. I mean, come on.

Can't blame Swann for retiring

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If Swann doesn't feel like he can bowl to Test standard across 5 days and is of the belief that Panesar can do better, I don't see the issue. At the end of the day, nobody knows how his body feels better than himself, and his elbow injury is well documented. Rightly or wrongly, he believes he is no longer good enough with his body the way it is, and there is no way someone can survive in international cricket, let alone win matches for the team, if they believe they can't perform.

Spark

Global Moderator
Wasn't Anderson-Broad-Swann talked of as something of an anti-KP cartel within the team last year?

_Ed_

That's right - speculation over their involvement in the hoax Twitter account, etc. Good times.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
If Swann doesn't feel like he can bowl to Test standard across 5 days and is of the belief that Panesar can do better, I don't see the issue. At the end of the day, nobody knows how his body feels better than himself, and his elbow injury is well documented. Rightly or wrongly, he believes he is no longer good enough with his body the way it is, and there is no way someone can survive in international cricket, let alone win matches for the team, if they believe they can't perform.
I agree with all that Dan and if he is not up to scratch he shouldn't play...........he could have sat out these 2 tests without creating this circus though.

This should have been about the team and what is best for the team...........no good has come out of this announcement for the team, a team that should be focused on and desperate to win the next 2 test matches.

Edit:

Just realised I managed to slip the word "team" into that sentence 4 times..........just need to talk about hitting "the right areas" and winning the "key moments" and that's a perfect post game interview.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The really difficult part is working oh which England players Swann isn't referring to. Let's go through the side:

Cook - uppity. Basically wears a sign on his forehead that says "I'm a private school tosspot" (all private school students are tosspots ftr)

Carberry - honest bloke. Won't be him

Root - thinks his **** doesn't stink. But it does

KP - well, yeah

Bell - had one good series and think he's God's gift and is living off it without putting in on tour

Stokes - decent player but seems a knob. Should fit in well then

Prior - knob jockey

Broad - same as Bell

Bresnan - solid bloke. Not him

Anderson - dining out on past glories and still gobby despite getting a pasting. Is a dick head.

Panesar - pisses on people. I mean, come on.

Can't blame Swann for retiring
Thank **** for that. I was seriously beginning to think you were all right Burgey with some of the quality posts you've been making recently, been quite confusing itbt..........much prefer it when you are dribbling **** like this.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
if you think fans should just go oh thats alright then, good chap - i'm at a loss. when a player puts in a match winning performance, they receive due accolades. when they spectacularly implode mid series and let the team down, retiring mere days before a boxing day ashes test no less, i'd expect their legacy in the game to cop a fair flogging in return.

Burgey

And tbf, it appears Swann agrees with me. Imagine how big a knob you have to be for Graeme Swann of all people to think you're a big head.