• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trott leaves tour

Spark

Global Moderator
OK guys I realise no one will post anything directly untoward here but be aware that talking about mental illness can be triggered by discussion of it, especially viewing the wrong sort of comments even if presented in the right way. Not a moderation thing, just a request to be careful (and will put a TW up in the OP if required).

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So, what's people's thoughts on whether or not Warner/Australia knew something of these issues and hence that's why they were pushing it so hard.
Very very low act if that's the case.

It's amazing how little the majority of society know about/give credence to mental illness.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Jeez I feel so sorry for the bloke, knowing he was dealing with this while everyone was abusing him, including me.

Get well soon champ :(

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Can't believe some of the comments people are writing, like on the other forum I write on.

I seriously hope it's nothing too serious.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, what's people's thoughts on whether or not Warner/Australia knew something of these issues and hence that's why they were pushing it so hard.
They might have sensed that mentally he was a bit out of it, but I'm sure that they wouldn't have thought 'this guy has a mental illness, so let's target that.'

Red

They might have sensed that mentally he was a bit out of it, but I'm sure that they wouldn't have thought 'this guy has a mental illness, so let's target that.'
You'd hope so eh?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Poor bugger. Hope he bounces back.

Although sadly there's a very poor record of cricketers resuming Test cricket after a bout of mental illness. 90% between the ears and all that.

Spark

Global Moderator

Although sadly there's a very poor record of cricketers resuming Test cricket after a bout of mental illness. 90% between the ears and all that.
You would imagine so - from everything I've heard and experienced, this isn't exactly one of those things which just goes away. You'd think that it would be both difficult and dangerous for him to re-enter exactly the same high-pressure, public and fairly brutal environment which caused the problems in the first place.

Though this probably isn't the time to worry about that.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Makes one wonder how serious the depression problem within cricket is. Though mostly the English players have gone public with their conditions, I am sure players of other countries have experienced it too.

In countries like India, where mental ilness has a stigma associated with it, I can see why players would hesitate to go public.

Red

Melancholia is a (very) archaic term for clinical depression, yeah.
Yeh, I knew that. Actually meant I was wondering if Albert Trott and Jonathon Trott are related in some way?

I seem to recall reading something once that said they were, but I can't remember. Their cricinfo profiles don't say they are.

Red

Makes one wonder how serious the depression problem within cricket is. Though mostly the English players have gone public with their conditions, I am sure players of other countries have experienced it too.

In countries like India, where mental ilness has a stigma associated with it, I can see why players would hesitate to go public.
David Frith: 'Cricket has its dark secrets, its skeletons' - Cricket - Sport - The Independent

I haven't gotten round to reading Frith's book but it looks interesting, if a little macabre.

Silence Of The Heart: Cricket Suicides - David Frith - Google Books

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Given he will be 33 at the start of the next English summer I would say that is that. Hope I am wrong but gut feeling is that is the last we see of Trott.