Page 228 of 240 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238 ... LastLast
Results 3,406 to 3,420 of 3591
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

  1. #3406
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,010
    Meanwhile, in more important news



    I feel a bit funny
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

  2. #3407
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,235
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Wow. This is simply incredible.
    Thanks mate. I thought it was a decent post too.
    HeathDavisSpeed likes this.

  3. #3408
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    It seems from the post match celebrations that England players have expressed their disappointment at the state of the pitch.
    I'm not sure if it was a joke article or not, but apparently Eng gave monty panesar a bit of a post match tribute.
    Son Of Coco likes this.

  4. #3409
    International Debutant Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    HMP Oz.
    Posts
    2,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    It seems from the post match celebrations that England players have expressed their disappointment at the state of the pitch.
    Not like a steak that you can send back when not served as ordered eh


  5. #3410
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,226
    Ruckus on day whatever it was England took their time because when you have 500 sitting on you, it becomes very hard to win the game because not only do you have to compile a huge total to win the game, you have to do that with scoreboard pressure weighing on you. In that situation, smart teams take their time and have a look at the pitch and bowling they're facing with the aim of setting a platform so players lower down the order can cash in from 200/2 or something similarly nice. Unless you have a Sehwag in your team you won't be throwing the bat from ball one because 30/3 in reply to 500 equals death.

    England had their look and found the pitch to be relatively easy to survive on but hard to score on, and they found the bowling to be good. That means they took it easy because they wanted that big platform for the middle order.

    This is pretty straightforward stuff.
    flibbertyjibber and 91Jmay like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  6. #3411
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Not like a steak that you can send back when not served as ordered eh
    Will be having a steak tonight tbh.

  7. #3412
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Ruckus on day whatever it was England took their time because when you have 500 sitting on you, it becomes very hard to win the game because not only do you have to compile a huge total to win the game, you have to do that with scoreboard pressure weighing on you. In that situation, smart teams take their time and have a look at the pitch and bowling they're facing with the aim of setting a platform so players lower down the order can cash in from 200/2 or something similarly nice. Unless you have a Sehwag in your team you won't be throwing the bat from ball one because 30/3 in reply to 500 equals death.

    England had their look and found the pitch to be relatively easy to survive on but hard to score on, and they found the bowling to be good. That means they took it easy because they wanted that big platform for the middle order.

    This is pretty straightforward stuff.
    I cbf anymore honestly, this has never been the argument.

  8. #3413
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Ruckus on day whatever it was England took their time because when you have 500 sitting on you, it becomes very hard to win the game because not only do you have to compile a huge total to win the game, you have to do that with scoreboard pressure weighing on you. In that situation, smart teams take their time and have a look at the pitch and bowling they're facing with the aim of setting a platform so players lower down the order can cash in from 200/2 or something similarly nice. Unless you have a Sehwag in your team you won't be throwing the bat from ball one because 30/3 in reply to 500 equals death.

    England had their look and found the pitch to be relatively easy to survive on but hard to score on, and they found the bowling to be good. That means they took it easy because they wanted that big platform for the middle order.

    This is pretty straightforward stuff.
    In particular because it takes ages to get back into the game. You might be looking good at 2/150. But if you're careless and that becomes 5/200, chasing 500, you're in serious trouble.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  9. #3414
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    I cbf anymore honestly, this has never been the argument.
    Well what the **** is your argument then?

  10. #3415
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    In particular because it takes ages to get back into the game. You might be looking good at 2/150. But if you're careless and that becomes 5/200, chasing 500, you're in serious trouble.
    Taking time out of the game also puts the onus back on the opposition to take risks in order to win the game.

  11. #3416
    Sorry but why are we discussing England's negative batting from days ago? Don't know if people have noticed but that's allowed.

    Pathetic time-wasting, constantly harassing and crying at the umpires isn't. And that was what cheated England out of a Test victory, and it was yesterday not 3-4 days ago.

    We should be discussing what length of ban Clarke should be getting.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:


    MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

  12. #3417
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,479
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Tbf to Clarke and his declaration, I don't think many of us were expecting England to get anywhere near the chase at 5.5 rpo.
    Yeah, it was closer to 5 an over but even so a lot of people were saying England shouldn't even go for it because Clarke had made it too difficult. I didn't really get that. 228~ off 44 would make England comfortable favourites in most ODIs, it's a tougher ask in a test of course but not by so much that it's not even worth bothering to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  13. #3418
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,328
    Anyway, bring on November and round 2.

    Can't be arsed with the shorter games after this series, find it hard to believe that Australia go to India for a long one day series before the ashes, can't imagine the BCCI would be happy if it was an Australia A side so when are the test players going to get first class games before the 1st test?

    The way it ended yesterday was apt, umpires looking stupid (due to following the rules) in a series where they have been terrible. God help us if the ICC don't make a few changes to the panel before the return leg.

  14. #3419
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Well what the **** is your argument then?
    from maximas a few pages ago, an idea that people seem to be really struggling to grasp. It isn't black and white, all or nothing etc.:

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    You can score at a reasonable pace without collapsing horribly, teams have been doing it for years
    If you then want to argue a reasonable pace was what Eng were going along at, well then that's simply where I disagree. I don't think the bowling nor the conditions warranted such slow batting.

  15. #3420
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    If you're 3-0 down in a test series and you're thinking "oh well" about the prospect of 4-0 you should get out of test cricket.

    "oh well" at 3-0 might turn into "oh well" at 2-0 and so on. Win or draw, never lose.
    They weren't thinking 'oh well' at the prospect of 4-0 though, clearly they were thinking about trying to make it 3-1.

    I don' think you're seriously suggesting a team would fail to take the series in context and start not caring when it's 1-0 or 0-0. There's no comparison to what happened in this test.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* Fourth Test at The Oval
    By Spark in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1214
    Last Post: 22-08-2011, 11:37 PM
  2. *Official* Fifth Test at the SCG
    By Craig in forum Ashes 2010-2011
    Replies: 3603
    Last Post: 15-01-2011, 01:07 PM
  3. *Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval
    By James in forum Ashes 2010-2011
    Replies: 3905
    Last Post: 13-01-2011, 03:25 PM
  4. *Official* Fifth Test at The Oval
    By GIMH in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 2955
    Last Post: 28-08-2009, 12:38 PM
  5. ***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval
    By James in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 1596
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •