• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
From what I've seen Hughes hasn't fixed his technique either, the slanting bat in defence and footwork that goes with it. If those 2 are considered waiting in the wings by the selectors then what the **** have the coaches been telling them?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
From what I've seen Hughes hasn't fixed his technique either, the slanting bat in defence and footwork that goes with it. If those 2 are considered waiting in the wings by the selectors then what the **** have the coaches been telling them?
Hughes' technique has been ****ed around with far too much.

adub

International Captain
Hughes' technique has been ****ed around with far too much.
exactly. He's always going to look ugly and get out in ways that look atrocious. But left to his own devices he'll also score a lot more runs on average than his peers. He's smart and hungry and he tends to find a way.

Flem274*

123/5
Hughes is gun, and while he nicks off early sometimes his weakness is also his strength so if you're not on the money you're going to the fence. Plus he really really wants it. The selectors told him to change so he did. The selectors told Khawaja to change and he threw his toys until his mate became coach. Hughes will make it. Khawaja never will unless he grows up.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Plus he is as fragile as a crystal goblet.

Hughes didn't deserve to play in the last Ashes and he doesn't deserve to play any time soon

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm pretty iffy on Hughes. First he looks awful against the short ball (although I imagine there are plenty of batsmen who suffer from the same thing), then against spin in general. It feels like a case of being too good for domestic cricket, but not good enough for Tests. Which given our batting stocks is not a great position to be in, and it's not easy to just say 'score runs and you're in' in his case - as that's what he does anyway so it's tough to see what he can do for a recall. But I suspect he's too good/we aren't good enough to blacklist him permanently.

What I will say though is that one of Australia's main failings recently has been his treatment IMO.

The Battlers Prince

Hughes is gun, and while he nicks off early sometimes his weakness is also his strength so if you're not on the money you're going to the fence. Plus he really really wants it. The selectors told him to change so he did. The selectors told Khawaja to change and he threw his toys until his mate became coach. Hughes will make it. Khawaja never will unless he grows up.
I'm still seeing the same flaws in his technique, so I'm not sure what 'changes' he did. I don't mind if Hughes' is in the side, but I just want to see some runs. Felt a bit like a politician lying to me when I saw he hadn't made the changes I'd wanted, if he had at all, ie. straighten his defence up. not batting with an angled bat. Again though, I don't care, just give me runs. :cool:

Tangles

Problem is you can't go back in time and un **** the messing about with his technique.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
For what it is worth ($2.50) here is the XI I would select.

1 C Rogers
2 D Warner
3 S Watson
4 A Doolan
5 M Clarke
6 S Smith
7 B Haddin
8 P Siddle
9 R Harris
10 C Sayers
11 N Lyon

The tail is fairly weak but **** it, the top 7 need to make big runs and the 4 bowlers to take the wickets. I like the idea of Sayers and Harris opening the bowling with the big hearted Victorian coming on to bowl shortly after. I fully expect Bailey/Hughes in at 6 with Johnson at 8 because no team ever wins without a left handed quick..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm glad you could adubers because it would be the worst cause of death ever.
:lol:

Sayers and Doolan two of the most over-rated Australian domestic players on CW IMO. I'd say Benchy's opinion holds too much weight, but I know it doesn't really influence Nufers at all, so maybe I'm just wrong on this.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
doolan has become a good alternative to bailey who is suffering a backlash.

i would just pick rohrer or north

dermo

Sayers isn't being over rated he's only being put up for selection due to lack of other options, i doubt anyone here would have him in their top 5 if everyone was fit

i think people warm to d00lers because of the way he bats, he's got a good technique and looks the g00ds, its the same reason people rate smarsh and dont rate hughes but often their actual output is a different story