• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe if he was averaging more than 17 in the Shield this season. Needs to demonstrate that he's not totally passed it even if we do decide to overlook his gash technique.
Makes you wonder how many batsmen would had have their ODIs killed if it wasn't for the bouncer rule and the lack of movement on most ODI pitches.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Makes you wonder how many batsmen would had have their ODIs killed if it wasn't for the bouncer rule and the lack of movement on most ODI pitches.
He has scored 12,500 first class runs at 53. Can't all have been done on flat tracks with no bouncers...

As others have said, he's hardly in the sort of form that makes him a likely pick at present.

Is Andrew McDonald playing currently? If Watson gives up bowling to concentrate on batting at 2 or 4, then Wade / Haddin at 6 with McDonald at 7, and two of Johnson/Starc/Pattinson at 8 and 9 might be a possibility?

Alternatively... Steve Smith.:-O

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
He has scored 12,500 first class runs at 53. Can't all have been done on flat tracks with no bouncers...

As others have said, he's hardly in the sort of form that makes him a likely pick at present
He has scored lots of those runs against medium pacers in Australia and England who aren't capable of exposing his weakness.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Going to be very interesting to see what our top 6 is going into the Ashes. I suppose Khawaja will probably just slot straight in at 6 to replace Huss. Would certainly not be opposed to him batting 4 though with Watson assuming the Hussey role at 6.

OR

Watson quits bowling and returns to the opening position where his game is arguably most suited and Warner drops down to batting at 6.

OR

Steve Smith bats at 6, I love that guy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How's Rogers going atm?

If the selectors ignored his birth certificate (and personality, by repute) or Cosgrove's waistline there's two serious options right there...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How's Rogers going atm?

If the selectors ignored his birth certificate (and personality, by repute) or Cosgrove's waistline there's two serious options right there...
Think we should keep those names to ourselves brumbers - as far as the ACB are concerned they seem to have disappeared into the file marked "Stuart Law"

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My early predictions:

England 2-1 for the home series, Australia 2-1 for the away series. Yeah yeah it's a copout but meh.

I for one feel the gap between Australia and England's batting is smaller than most people expect. Yes England's batting is more experienced, but Trott and Bell are unproven against stronger attacks, and even Cook has lacked effectiveness in England from time to time. KP of course is good, but even he's only really good for one big century. And Compton or Root or whoever they pick are still very inexperienced. Leaves Prior, who while is gun has to bat 7.

Australia's problems are well-known of course - Hussey won't be there, Watson has injury problems and is out of form, Warner's very much hit and miss and sometimes lacks concentration, Cowan just isn't that good, Hughes is still untested, Wade while he looks good with the bat his place might come under question due to his poor keeping and Khawaja has large technical flaws that aren't really fixed yet. Clarke of course is gun.

England probably have the edge in bowling due to better match-winners, but even so....Broad has been pretty poor recently, Swanneh has lacked effectiveness against the stronger lineups (although he should still bowl a side to victory on a turner) and there's still questions over the third quick (though I think Finn/Onions should be fine). Australia's main problem is what to do with Johnson, Lyon's problems with running through a lineup when time is a premium and all their quicks breaking down.

All in all, should be a good series. England are better ATM but they're both really good sides, and it should be great cricket.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
My early predictions:

England 2-1 for the home series, Australia 2-1 for the away series. Yeah yeah it's a copout but meh.

I for one feel the gap between Australia and England's batting is smaller than most people expect. Yes England's batting is more experienced, but Trott and Bell are unproven against stronger attacks, and even Cook has lacked effectiveness in England from time to time. KP of course is good, but even he's only really good for one big century. And Compton or Root or whoever they pick are still very inexperienced. Leaves Prior, who while is gun has to bat 7.

Australia's problems are well-known of course - Hussey won't be there, Watson has injury problems and is out of form, Warner's very much hit and miss and sometimes lacks concentration, Cowan just isn't that good, Hughes is still untested, Wade while he looks good with the bat his place might come under question due to his poor keeping and Khawaja has large technical flaws that aren't really fixed yet. Clarke of course is gun.

England probably have the edge in bowling due to better match-winners, but even so....Broad has been pretty poor recently, Swanneh has lacked effectiveness against the stronger lineups (although he should still bowl a side to victory on a turner) and there's still questions over the third quick (though I think Finn/Onions should be fine). Australia's main problem is what to do with Johnson, Lyon's problems with running through a lineup when time is a premium and all their quicks breaking down.

All in all, should be a good series. England are better ATM but they're both really good sides, and it should be great cricket.
Lyon had problems bowling out the best side in the world on the flattest deck on earth, and then on a pacemen's pitch against a team born and bred on playing spin.

He will be indispensable during the Ashes. I will bet an avatar on 25 wickets or more for the series in England.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
How's Rogers going atm?

Personality might be a bigger issue for Rogers. Weren't too many disappointed to see him (or his dad) leave WA from what I hear.

I'd like to see McDonald given another go if fit. Certainly didn't disgrace himself when he first played, isn't much older than Christian who seems to be adored by the selectors, and best of all he's Victorian and it would do Benchy's head in.

Reel him in, Invers.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personality might be a bigger issue for Rogers. Weren't too many disappointed to see him (or his dad) leave WA from what I hear.

I'd like to see McDonald given another go if fit. Certainly didn't disgrace himself when he first played, isn't much older than Christian who seems to be adored by the selectors, and best of all he's Victorian and it would do Benchy's head in.

Reel him in, Invers.
Nah there's no way Macca is Victorian. And I'm his biggest fan on this forum ftr :cool:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully someone will kick on through the end of the Shield season and get picked on that.

Otherwise we have the options of Burns, Khawaja or Doolan playing out of position, or Bailey, Smith or Maxwell getting a crack.

Honestly, if we play Lyon I don't see the need for Maxwell. His bowling won't do anything at Test level. Smith the better option for batsman-who-bowls-part-time-spin.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hopefully someone will kick on through the end of the Shield season and get picked on that.

Otherwise we have the options of Burns, Khawaja or Doolan playing out of position, or Bailey, Smith or Maxwell getting a crack.

Honestly, if we play Lyon I don't see the need for Maxwell. His bowling won't do anything at Test level. Smith the better option for batsman-who-bowls-part-time-spin.
You're such a big Smith fanboy. You think you hide it well by smacktalking him whenever you mention him but you're fooling no-one.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
You're such a big Smith fanboy. You think you hide it well by smacktalking him whenever you mention him but you're fooling no-one.
Well I posted a thread in 2008 (back when I was an incredibly dire poster) supporting him. I don't see any reason to stop now.

Despite the horrendous technique, he's got a better temperament for long-form cricket than Glenn Maxwell, and he's got more Shield runs at a better average this season. I understand why he's not exactly liked by CW, but seriously, we'd rather have Glenn Maxwell playing Tests?

They're effectively the same player IMO - Smith a marginally better batsman, Maxwell the slightly better bowler. At number 6 it's the runs that count, and I reckon Smith is more likely to get them.