• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

SS1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Mate, SS1, read your own posts more carefully. The logical implication genuinely could not be more obvious and you're making yourself look pretty silly trying to argue the exact opposite of what you just said.
I disagree.

I merely pointed out that Pietersen is a matchwinner in response to some fool suggesting he is more of a 'match loser' and gets out once he makes 30 (that is what looking pretty silly is all about). It isn't my issue if somebody decides to infer from that I don't believe Clarke is a matchwinner. I never even discussed whether Clarke is a matchwinner or not. Furthermore, in an earlier post I actually posted my thoughts on Clarke, which were entirely complementary.

Hiding behind emoticons and making snide remarks is pretty average to me. I joined this forum a few days ago and to be perfectly honest, I've never come across a more irrational forum in my life. The reality seems to be that if you don't agree with somebody, you get a volley of snide comments thrown at you. I get ridiculed for suggesting KP is a matchwinner yet a bloke who posts he 'gets out at 30' when he averages 49 is entirely plausible and fair ?!?!?

Bloody stupid.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I disagree.

I merely pointed out that Pietersen is a matchwinner in response to some fool suggesting he is more of a 'match loser' and gets out once he makes 30 (that is what looking pretty silly is all about). It isn't my issue if somebody decides to infer from that I don't believe Clarke is a matchwinner. I never even discussed whether Clarke is a matchwinner or not. Furthermore, in an earlier post I actually posted my thoughts on Clarke, which were entirely complementary.

Hiding behind emoticons and making snide remarks is pretty average to me. I joined this forum a few days ago and to be perfectly honest, I've never come across a more irrational forum in my life. The reality seems to be that if you don't agree with somebody, you get a volley of snide comments thrown at you. I get ridiculed for suggesting KP is a matchwinner yet a bloke who posts he 'gets out at 30' when he averages 49 is entirely plausible and fair ?!?!?

Bloody stupid.
In all seriousness we're a good bunch here. Just read your post again. Objectively. You will see it reads that you think KP is better than Clarke (since you said you'd choose KP over Clarke) because he is a match winner. The inference is clear. That is what people are getting at.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I merely pointed out that Pietersen is a matchwinner in response to some fool suggesting he is more of a 'match loser' and gets out once he makes 30
No, actually, he didn't say that until after your post.

You said you'd take Pietersen over Clarke because Pietersen is a match winner in post #369.

Benchmark didn't say "Pietersen is more of a match loser than a match winner. Plays stupid shots and finds ways to get out often when he's on 30" until post #371, so your post was not in response to that.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In all seriousness we're a good bunch here. Just read your post again. Objectively. You will see it reads that you think KP is better than Clarke (since you said you'd choose KP over Clarke) because he is a match winner. The inference is clear. That is what people are getting at.

SS1

My post has clearly been interpreted in that manner it seems, fair enough.

FWIW I would take KP over Clarke. My opinion. If you don't agree with that, thats fine. I can completely understand that. Don't start taking the proverbial over it because it goes against your own opinion.

In terms of matchwinning, yes I do think KP is more of a matchwinner than Clarke. However, that isn't to say that Clarke isn't a matchwinner. There is a big difference and many other factors impact on it. Have a look at Clarke's recent two doubles over SA. Australia didn't win either. My thoughts are that if KP gets that double, he gets it quicker and gives the bowlers more time to bowl a side out. Aus needed two wickets to beat South Africa at Adelaide. Is it entirely implausible to suggest that with an extra hour they wouldn't have got them ? It isn't.

Spark

Global Moderator
KP is not getting that double quicker than Clarke did on that day. He scored 200 in two sessions.

KP bats bloody fast, but that was just ridiculous.

EDIT: It's also a completely superfluous point as Australia declared. If Clarke wanted another half an hour he could have gotten it.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think its a crazy opinion. I disagree with it but its not ridiculous.

KP's knock in Mumbai was epic, one of the best I've ever seen.

But Clarke's played match winners too. Just happens some of his great knocks are in draws/losses. Tendulkar has the same - very rarely is it down to the batsman imo.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
KP is not getting that double quicker than Clarke did on that day. He scored 200 in two sessions.

Haha yes so true. Clarke's double in Adelaide was ridiculously quick.

SS1

Since KP has a strike rate that is significantly higher than Clarkes, stats suggest that he would have. I'm not saying thats a definitive before anybody goes mental but any cricketing stats show that when KP scores 100+, England tend to win, regardless of where they play.

Spark

Global Moderator
Since KP has a strike rate that is significantly higher than Clarkes, stats suggest that he would have. I'm not saying thats a definitive before anybody goes mental but any cricketing stats show that when KP scores 100+, England tend to win, regardless of where they play.
Look, that's just a silly way of looking at things. Are you seriously suggesting that KP would have scored quicker than 200 in 2 sessions because his career strike rate is higher?

That's like saying Tendulkar should have a higher top score than Lara because his average was higher. Er, no.

And again, it's irrelevant because Aus declared second innings.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Look, that's just a silly way of looking at things. Are you seriously suggesting that KP would have scored quicker than 200 in 2 sessions because his career strike rate is higher?

That's like saying Tendulkar should have a higher top score than Lara because his average was higher. Er, no.

And again, it's irrelevant because Aus declared second innings.
It was Roadelaide tbf; Pietersen knocking up a 60 ball double would not have been surprising. :ph34r:

SS1

No I'm not, thats why I posted 'thats not a definitive'. It is all hypothetical.

Spark

Global Moderator
It is also completely irrelevant. Averages don't work like that.

If you can find an instance where KP has scored a huge score quicker than that, you might have a point, but otherwise it's just flat out fallacious.

SS1

It is also completely irrelevant. Averages don't work like that.

If you can find an instance where KP has scored a huge score quicker than that, you might have a point, but otherwise it's just flat out fallacious.
Clarke scored 230 in 345 minutes on a flat track at Adelaide, averaging a run every 1.5 minutes.

Pietersen scored 151 in 212 minutes on a turner at Colombo, averaging a run every 1.4 minutes. Harder pitch to bat on yet scored faster.

Even in Mumbai, where it was an absolute bunsen, he was marginally slower. He scored 186 in 316 minutes, averaging a run every 1.69 minutes.

All I am demonstrating is that it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Spark

Global Moderator
The way people talk about the Colombo ton fascinates me frankly, it's as if they've all forgotten that it was at Colombo.

In addition, doing it in terms of minutes is just bizarre, for the obvious reason that over rates vary depending on where you're playing.

This is a really strange way to make a really strange point. Clarke can score crazy fast nowadays. Like KP. The reason for the difference in strike rates is that Clarke didn't play like that before, but that's not relevant now. Accept that and move on.

I mean, we haven't even mentioned Cape Town yet. Oh wait... I just did.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If SS1 is such an England fan then why no posts about the current tour to India?

You convicts are feeding the troll with each bite.