• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Andre

International Regular
I could be completely wrong, but I get the feeling Hussey could play for another 3 years. Looks super fit and loves it. If he can keep his eye and reflexes...
No way. Bloody lucky to be there now, if Hilditch and co were stronger he'd have been out of the side in 2009.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia First Test vs. England July 10-14 2013

1. P HUGHES
2. D WARNER
3. M CLARKE
4. R PONTING
5. S WATSON
6. G BAILEY
7. T PAINE
8. P SIDDLE
9. J PATTINSON
10. M STARC
11. N LYON

12. N COULTER-NILE
Out: Ponting
In: Khawaja

Out: Bailey
In: Hussey

Benchy didn't do the bet so he probs cost himself $8 - but Paine is looking unlikely.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
It made more sense to go 5+2 when we moved to a 7 test summer and had to play series against the likes of Bangladesh.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
6 tests was nearly always too many. I think that 1981 was the first time they played the extra one, and all but one from then until 1997 were dead rubbers. There were a couple of enjoyable 'consolation' wins in 1993 and 1997, but never anything that mattered.

SS1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Australia First Test vs. England July 10-14 2013

1. P HUGHES
2. D WARNER
3. M CLARKE
4. R PONTING
5. S WATSON
6. G BAILEY
7. T PAINE
8. P SIDDLE
9. J PATTINSON
10. M STARC
11. N LYON

12. N COULTER-NILE
Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Clarke
Watson
Hussey
Wade
Siddle
Lyon
Cummins
Starc

This is something like the side I imagine the Aussies will turn up with. Its also a side I expect to get hammered in England at least 3 - 0. Clarke and Hussey will need to bat for weeks to have any hope. Serious question marks over 4 of the top 6 and a very, very young bowling attack. Siddle has proven himself to be pretty woeful against England and Lyon is not a good spinner by any stretch.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You probably should have quoted my new team that had Ponting and Bailey out and had Hussey and Khawaja in.

We are not that great, but England have a few bats who aren't in brilliant form either, plus some bowlers struggling like Broad. I agree that Clarke and Huss need big series, Sids is much improved and is my tip for leading wicket taker for the series.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
even if by some miracle Cummins is fit, it's hard to see him being there for the 1st test. Perhaps if we need a hail-mary in the 4th or 5th

Spikey

i wonder if the new management will lead to an increased squad. we've been at 17 or something the last two tours haven't we? maybe up to 20 (most of the spares being fast bowlers obv...)

obviously there'd be some ****s who don't even play tour games, but they seem the sort who would rather not fly over an injury replacement from here...

Spark

Global Moderator
Even though we've just lost, it's worth noting that many/most people have undersold this team in almost every series since Clarke took the captaincy.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Shown a fantastic temperament in India. Looking more solid as the series progresses.

Until he scores a century he remains at risk of being dropped; however he has been a run scoring machine for two years and I would predict Compton will play a role in 2013.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I expect his chances will depend much more on how the opening partnership works than how well he bats, which is likely a good sign for him.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Stupid question given Compton is an opener; how does he go against good pace bowling? Technical issues that Pattinson and Siddle are likely to expose?

Most of my viewing has been Compton facing up to Ashwin and Ojha.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I was against him being picked to open this series because I thought his runs in county cricket were largely due to an increasing familiarity with how to bat on the county circuit rather than real technical excellence, and an opening spot in Test in India is a world away from what he'd be used to.

To be fair, he did get 1000 runs before the end of May this season, which often indicates an expert player of seam movement. The fact that Compton plays at Taunton somewhat negates that, but since the Taunton track is much closer to what we're likely to see at Lord's day one than the average county deck that's neither here nor there.

flibbertyjibber

So do people think Compton will play?
He'll play in New Zealand and if he does well there then he'll get the home series against them. As it would then be the ashes double header next up I can't see him not playing unless he has a poor tour in NZ.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was against him being picked to open this series because I thought his runs in county cricket were largely due to an increasing familiarity with how to bat on the county circuit rather than real technical excellence, and an opening spot in Test in India is a world away from what he'd be used to.

To be fair, he did get 1000 runs before the end of May this season, which often indicates an expert player of seam movement. The fact that Compton plays at Taunton somewhat negates that, but since the Taunton track is much closer to what we're likely to see at Lord's day one than the average county deck that's neither here nor there.
My inner pedant has to point out he came up just short. Think it was June 1st when he made his grand.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in NZ, actually. Our cider-quaffing confreres will obviously have more idea than me, but I've never really seen how he goes against a moving ball. Taunton a renowned road and India hardly a seamers' paradise either.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Stupid question given Compton is an opener; how does he go against good pace bowling? Technical issues that Pattinson and Siddle are likely to expose?

Most of my viewing has been Compton facing up to Ashwin and Ojha.
The worry is that he doesn't open for his county. The selectors picked him to replace Strauss here because of volume of runs and opening in the SC isn't the same as opening elsewhere.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I haven't seen Compton bat much in England, but according to Tres, he's better against pace than spin. A good series in NZ will bookmark him for the Ashes IMO.