• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
These selectors have no idea. Honestly! We are picking 9 players who have all been at the hands of absolute thrashings and one very one-sided draw. We are also picking a spinner who wasn't good enough for two tests and has only played three more first class games than that. Great to see a debutant in there, and I hope he goes well. Can't see a much different result in Sydney tbh.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really hope Khawaja does come in at 3. Putting Clarke up there instead would be ****ing lunacy.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Really hope Khawaja does come in at 3. Putting Clarke up there instead would be ****ing lunacy.
Haven't you read Julian's posts? Haddin is actually Australia's best batsman and should be batting in the top four; he'll be the one to go up to three. He'll also open the bowling.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Watson
Hughes (will ton up)
Hussey
Khawaja
Clarke (c)
Haddin
Smith
Johnson (eurgh)
Siddle
Bollinger
Beer (HAURITZ)

really doesn't feel like theres much better out there.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Making loads of changes for the last test does not make a great deal of sense anyway (how many one or two cap wonders did England hand debut's to in the last test of the summer?) so I can understand the selection apart from the continued omission of Hauritz. Australia not got a test for a good while after this series so makes sense to let these players try and recover some pride before taking stock, would give Ponting the world cup as captain and then move on.

biased indian

International Coach
what happens if both Khawaja and clarke score tons..will you still pick ponting for the next test and if so drop whom ?

just a silly thought i know there is no test coming any time soon for australia

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep. Played one Shield game for figures of:

18-6-55-3
20-5-64-3

Also played a couple of one dayers in that time:

10-0-59-3
8-0-44-1

He's been good basically. Still doesn't look nearly fully fit IMO, but he's bowled well and it's been long spells too. You could've said the same thing before Adelaide too though; he's actually having a really good Shield season.
Yeah well that's cos he's actually a good bowler. Idiot selectors and managers... Don't play before Adelaide and over do it. Bowl crap in Adelaide. Get dropped because "you aren't fit enough".

Dire.

vcs

Captaincy, I think it's time for a change. As a player, definitely not finished IMO.

Ruckus

International Captain
I agree it's time for a change, but I can't see it happening. The injury concerns look absolutely genuine (not an excuse), and I think the selectors would have gone with Ponting had he been fit. Also, given G Chappells recent comments on Ponting, I'd be highly suprised if Clarke was now the permanent option.

morgieb

If Clarke captains Australia to victory here and Khawaja does something with the bat then I can see Punter getting the dreaded tap on the shoulder, sadly.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Ponitng really has looked a walking wicket all series, against all our better judgement we've hoped he'd show some of that class. I hope he does have a second coming, I hope.