• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

pup11

International Coach
Well.... can't say that I'm really surprised at the decision of them playing Siddle ahead of Bollinger, became pretty obvious when they rested Siddle from the Shield game.
Though as an Aussie fan this bull**** has got to a point where one starts to think whether likes of Hilditch, Nielsen or Ponting are even serious about their jobs.
I really can't get these double standards, on one hand Clarke says he is fit and he is drafted into the XI, now Bollinger is also saying he is fit and ready to play then why can't they go with word on this!?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
With all this criticism, Siddle's bound to get a 5-fer :)
Haha yeah, he's a good bowler; he's probably being a bit under-rated on here at the moment. He's just not anywhere near as good as Bollinger, which is where the frustration is coming from.

I'm just as annoyed about Hilfenhaus and Doherty being picked ahead of Bollinger to tell you the truth.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha yeah, he's a good bowler; he's probably being a bit under-rated on here at the moment. He's just not anywhere near as good as Bollinger, which is where the frustration is coming from.

I'm just as annoyed about Hilfenhaus and Doherty being picked ahead of Bollinger to tell you the truth.
I'd say Hilf should be the first pick out of the Aussie bowlers TBH. It's certainly close between him and Bollinger though and both should be automatic choices based on performances in the last couple of years.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd say Hilf should be the first pick out of the Aussie bowlers TBH. It's certainly close between him and Bollinger though and both should be automatic choices based on performances in the last couple of years.
Hilfenhaus flatters to deceive. Unlucky bowlers don't win Test matches. I'd pick Johnson and Bollinger both ahead of him.

Ruckus

International Captain

I don't think many people are saying Siddle is a bad bowler, it's just, as you said, that Bollinger is easily our best bowler atm. That's why the decision is so ridiculous - it's like deciding to replace Clarke or Watson. Hilditch and co. have been copping a lot, but I think Ponting is involved in this calamity as much as the others:

"Lack of bowling [for Bollinger] over the last few weeks has been as much to do with it as anything," Ricky Ponting said as he announced his side. "Just the fact this line-up had good success in South Africa and at times in England last series. We feel that [Ben] Hilfenhaus and Siddle are very well advanced in their preparations for this series and [Mitchell] Johnson has a lot of cricket under his belt."

What a load of horse ****. He talks about lack of bowling when Siddle himself hasn't even played a test since January. Who cares if Bollinger hasn't played as many domestic games, he was already back to good form in the one he did play, and he toured India just over a month ago...Clearly favouritism, as Spark suggested, is at work here...

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I really think it's shaping up for Ponting's last hurrah. He's getting everything done the way he wants so if they don't regain the ashes who's the one who's going to take the blame? Does anyone know why Harris hasn't made the squad? He's fit enough to be playing in a one dayer today vs the vics.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Hilfenhaus flatters to deceive. Unlucky bowlers don't win Test matches. I'd pick Johnson and Bollinger both ahead of him.
I think Hilfenhaus is on the verge of a real breakout series where he'll just take a bundle of wickets. He has the weapons, the control and the pace. It's only a matter of time before he cleans up.

Id go

Hilfenhaus=Bollinger>Johnson>>>Siddle

Don't necessarily think Siddle is bad but he's just a cut below the others.

Johnson way too eratic to be ahead of Hilf or dougy

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I really think it's shaping up for Ponting's last hurrah. He's getting everything done the way he wants so if they don't regain the ashes who's the one who's going to take the blame? Does anyone know why Harris hasn't made the squad? He's fit enough to be playing in a one dayer today vs the vics.
Think his knee pulled up badly after a FC match