• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Doherty and maybe Siddle the surprises. As has already been said - SO much hangs on this next week. Pray for good weather.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I went down for the announcement and it started to absolutely pour down with rain. Now I'm back at my desk soaking wet.

Damn weather!

JBMAC

State Captain
Ricky Ponting (c),
Michael Clarke (vc)
Doug Bollinger
Xavier Doherty
Callum Ferguson
Brad Haddin
Ryan Harris
Nathan Hauritz
Mike Hussey
Ben Hilfenhaus
Mitchell Johnson
Simon Katich
Usman Khawaja
Marcus North
Peter Siddle
Steven Smith

Shane Watson

17 man squad.Who will be in first eleven?

howardj

International Coach
Ricky Ponting (c),
Michael Clarke (vc)
Doug Bollinger
Xavier Doherty
Callum Ferguson
Brad Haddin
Ryan Harris
Nathan Hauritz
Mike Hussey
Ben Hilfenhaus
Mitchell Johnson
Simon Katich
Usman Khawaja
Marcus North
Peter Siddle
Steven Smith

Shane Watson

17 man squad.Who will be in first eleven?
I already out scooped you by exclusively revealing this squad much much earlier lol

On your question, I think Usman, Ferguson, Smith, Doherty, Siddle and Harris (because he is injured) will miss.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Squad is a bit baffling but anyway. Still don't think we'll see any major changes for the first test barring ones forced through injuries.

Ruckus

International Captain
Can someone explain how naming squads works? They announce a massive 17-man squad, yet will trim it down to 12-13 players next week. Isn't there like an upper limit to how big the initial squad can be?

howardj

International Coach
Can someone explain how naming squads works? They announce a massive 17-man squad, yet will trim it down to 12-13 players next week. Isn't there like an upper limit to how big the initial squad can be?
limited only by the number of players that can fit on the Opera House steps :ph34r:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Doherty? I know he stands only a 5% chance of being selected, but it is seriously frightening that he was included in the squad. The Australian selection policies when it comes to spinners is terrible. One good game and you will make the Test squad.

The other selections are fine; Ferguson was always going to be selected. Some may complain that McDonald should be selected, but he wasn't selected for Australia 'A', so he was never going to get a crack in the Test squad.

If I was picking a bloated squad that was to be cut back, I would simply have selected the Test and Australia 'A' squad and then cut it back when need be. I'm not sure what attitude the likes of Hughes and White may carry into the tour game knowing they aren’t seen as part of a 17 man Test squad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Doherty? I know he stands only a 5% chance of being selected, but it is seriously frightening that he was included in the squad.
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when he wasn't picked for Australia A. Evidently he wasn't picked because he was a shoe-in regardless. :confused:

Ruckus

International Captain
I'm really suprised Hughes isn't in the squad because I thought Katich was one of their main concerns. If he is injured, or his injury becomes exacerbated and he can't play, I wonder who is the replacement opener?

outbreak

First Class Debutant
It's stupid announcing the squad so early. Should be happening after the Aus A game has been played. What happens if players go out next round and ton up against England or in their shield games and players in the squad make ducks? No chance of bringing them in for the first test now?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I'm really suprised Hughes isn't in the squad because I thought Katich was one of their main concerns. If he is injured, or his injury becomes exacerbated and he can't play, I wonder who is the replacement opener?
The Australian selectors don't have to stick to the squad selected. If Katich couldn't play they would just call in Hughes. This isn't like the World Cup, Australia can select 50 players for the squad if they really wanted too.