Cricket Player Manager
Page 15 of 405 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: *Official* First Test at the Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Predictable that he would say that,hardly going to come out and say England will thrive in the conditions is he.

If i was Ponting i'd be more concerned by his own record of 1 ton in his last 16 tests and he reckons Cook is under pressure but he has 4 in his last 11 games.
    Fair point, but I wouldn't be too hasty dismissing Ponting's form. Despite not getting hundreds he has 4 fifties in his last 5 innings, he was Aus' best bat in India.

Cook, like North, seems to get nothing between hundreds, hence why he's under pressure so often.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

He's actually not looked out of form. What's concerning is precisely that he's not converting - he used to be one of the best, if not the best, in converting a start into a hundred. I think it was in 2003 or so I saw a stat that showed his average once he got past 20 was 80 or something - so rather like North, except whilst North is fail fail fail fail fail win, Ponting was win win fail win fail win win. But now he's just throwing it away, playing across to otherwise inoccuous straight ones, chasing wide balls that there is zero need to play at, pulling balls that are miles outside off and hence should probably be cut or even better left alone, or (worst of all) running himself out.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    For me it depends if we get much sunshine before this Test. Last Ashes it was baking in the sun, hence was a very sporting wicket. This time I reckon it will be a bowlers paradise.
    Understand your thinking, but Kevin Mitchell doesn't do bowlers' paradises for Test wickets. The pitch is always to the extreme East of the square (it's to the West in Shield cricket) and is generally a very good batting wicket. Even in 2003 against India when there was a ton of rain, it was still a ripping wicket - Ganguly peeled off a century and Martyn and Waugh from memory batted beautifully.

It may be sporting in the first session or so, but I will be stunned if it doesn't flatten out into a ripping cricket wicket.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    The only time we need to worry about Chimpy's form is the first dig of the first Test. After that, we can focus on the rest of the filth.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Far more important than any of this is KP's new tache imo. Could well be a deciding factor.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Opener View Post
    Far more important than any of this is KP's new tache imo. Could well be a deciding factor.
    Well the SKUNK worked in 05 so will the SLUG work in 10/11?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer sifter132's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    He's actually not looked out of form. What's concerning is precisely that he's not converting - he used to be one of the best, if not the best, in converting a start into a hundred. I think it was in 2003 or so I saw a stat that showed his average once he got past 20 was 80 or something - so rather like North, except whilst North is fail fail fail fail fail win, Ponting was win win fail win fail win win. But now he's just throwing it away, playing across to otherwise inoccuous straight ones, chasing wide balls that there is zero need to play at, pulling balls that are miles outside off and hence should probably be cut or even better left alone, or (worst of all) running himself out.
    This is the one that annoys me most. Ricky's turned into a ball watcher. Put your head down mate Flintoff would never have caught him short last Ashes if he'd run hard instead of watching it.

Honestly if Australia pick any of North, Siddle, White, Smith, McKay, Marsh for any of the Ashes tests, then they will at the very minimum lose those tests, if not the whole series. North should never play internationals again and the damage he has done by being in the team is greater than the retirement of say an Adam Gilchrist or Matt Hayden. At least guys like White and Smith have some potential for the future. The only way we can beat England this summer is to have a squad like this:

Hughes
    Katich
    Watson
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Hussey
    Haddin
    Bollinger
    Hilfenhaus
    Harris
    Clark
    Johnson (Maybe)
    Hauritz

With guys like Ferguson to come in for any injuries. I still can't believe they dropped Clark. Sure on an absolute road in India he may not have that much success, but any hint of green and he can run through teams. With David Hussey at 6 you won't have a giveaway wicket as compared to North.
    Last edited by inbox24; 11-11-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    Honestly doubt anyone else (now that hodge is retired) would walk straight into the middle order and do a good job from the get go in the most important test series there is. Then there's also the fact that north's bowling is about on par with Hauritz's allowing the selectors to pick 4 out and out quicks and have a reliable finger spinner on top of that.

An English fan or the England team might just see this as a verbal jibe from Punter prior to the start of the series, but he is absolutely spot on here.
    The Gabba is arguably the safest ground in the world for the Australian side, as the pitch there has always been very sporting and the bounce and pace have been true, and these are the conditions that most Australian cricketers feel pretty comfortable in and it suits their game very well.
    So to put it simply, if we start losing test matches at the Gabba then we would be in real trouble.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    So to put it simply, if we start losing test matches at the Gabba then we would be in real trouble.
    So when we go 1 up there then you lot will concede defeat

Heading into the last day of fc matches before the Oz team is chosen for the first test, here are my thoughts on the contentious players

1. Has done more than enough but wont be chosen in the squad under virtually any circumstances

Ronald McDonald

2. Has proven his fitness/form and should be chosen in squad

Ryan Harris

3. Has done 2/3 of **** all but is guaranteed a place in the team

M Hussey, M Johnson and N Hauritz

4. Has done little more than prove what we all know (i.e. excellent on his odd good day but they come about as regularly as a lunar eclipse) but is guaranteed a place in the team

M North

5. Has done **** all but is guaranteed a place in the squad despite no-one knowing whether they are fit

Dougeh and Katman

6. Havent done enough so honourable mention, blah blah blah

Ferguson, Hughes and Usman

In other words, same team as against India in recent first test with only contentious issue being whether Harris replaces Dougeh in the X1

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    I guess what Ponting is saying to Strauss is, think twice about batting first after winning the toss sucker
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Heading into the last day of fc matches before the Oz team is chosen for the first test, here are my thoughts on the contentious players

1. Has done more than enough but wont be chosen in the squad under virtually any circumstances

Ronald McDonald

2. Has proven his fitness/form and should be chosen in squad

Ryan Harris

3. Has done 2/3 of **** all but is guaranteed a place in the team

M Hussey, M Johnson and N Hauritz

4. Has done little more than prove what we all know (i.e. excellent on his odd good day but they come about as regularly as a lunar eclipse) but is guaranteed a place in the team

M North

5. Has done **** all but is guaranteed a place in the squad despite no-one knowing whether they are fit

Dougeh and Katman

6. Havent done enough so honourable mention, blah blah blah

Ferguson, Hughes and Usman

In other words, same team as against India in recent first test with only contentious issue being whether Harris replaces Dougeh in the X1
    That's like the whole team......

Are you saying Aussies are underdogs going into first test?

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    An English fan or the England team might just see this as a verbal jibe from Punter prior to the start of the series, but he is absolutely spot on here.
    The Gabba is arguably the safest ground in the world for the Australian side, as the pitch there has always been very sporting and the bounce and pace have been true, and these are the conditions that most Australian cricketers feel pretty comfortable in and it suits their game very well.
    I think the point has been raised been raised before thast most teams are horribly under done for the 1st test (not Australia's fault) and therefore generally cop a pasting at the Gabba. England's prep has been a lot better this tour so expect them to be a lot more competative.

Thread Information