• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2005 series - Umpiring error tally

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Kasper's caught behind with 3 runs to get is another one and I'm sure I remember Martyn being unlucky more than once. I wasn't sure if this was counted in what you were looking at though.
If his hand was off the handle of the bat then it's handled the ball surely? :p

Martyn at Old Trafford was an absolute shocker. I was absolutely dumbfounded at the time, it wasn't even a case of edging it onto his pads, he practically middled the ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm almost certain this was off Glenn McGrath, bowling around the wicket.
Nah, it was definately Brett Lee, it was at Edgbaston and came 2 runs before Flintoff was out to end the innings - I checked after posting that. Unless there was another one in the previous game (couldn't have been at Edgbaston, Trent Bridge or The Oval obviously, and wasn't at Old Trafford as he didn't face him), and given he only faced 8 dot-balls from McGrath in the Lord's Test it seems remarkably unlikely.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, it was definately Brett Lee, it was at Edgbaston and came 2 runs before Flintoff was out to end the innings - I checked after posting that. Unless there was another one in the previous game (couldn't have been at Edgbaston, Trent Bridge or The Oval obviously, and wasn't at Old Trafford as he didn't face him), and given he only faced 8 dot-balls from McGrath in the Lord's Test it seems remarkably unlikely.
Bowling round the wicket, swinging it from leg to off?

Another poor decision has come to mind - Steve Harmison batting about a yard out of his crease and hit at the top of his pads against Glenn McGrath (might have been Oval 1st innings.) Given Harmison's height and how far he was out of his crease, that should have been a straightforward "not out", instead he was sawn off.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bowling round the wicket, swinging it from leg to off?
I can't recall ever seeing Lee do such a thing to a LHB so I imagine it was over-the-wicket, but might be wrong.
Another poor decision has come to mind - Steve Harmison batting about a yard out of his crease and hit at the top of his pads against Glenn McGrath (might have been Oval 1st innings.) Given Harmison's height and how far he was out of his crease, that should have been a straightforward "not out", instead he was sawn off.
Haha, remember that one now. Obvious "well he's a tailender so let's get this over with and get on with the proper business of batsmen doing the batting" case.