• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2005 series - Umpiring error tally

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apparently Gelman doesn't want this done in the thread to tally those for this year, so separate thread it is.

I've heard some people (Australians, in fact) claim that there was an avalanche of errors in 2005. Truth is otherwise, as far as I'm concerned. So let's hear it: which were these obvious and clear errors that should never, ever happen; and which were these other ones that were clearly wrong decisions but the type which, absolutely inevitably, will happen from time to time?

Off the top of my head I can think of:
Katich lbw Trent Bridge second-innings - worst decision of the series, pitched a foot or so outside leg.
Pietersen non-caught off Lee Edgbaston second-innings - obvious error, but not a rank shocker.
Pietersen caught off Warne Edgbaston second-innings - pretty much inverse of above.
Bell caught off Warne Edgbaston second-innings - same as Pietersen above. Remember these three as they came in quick succession.
Kasprowicz non-lbw Edgbaston second-innings - plumb to his 1st ball, Bowden somehow gave it n\o.
Geraint Jones non-caught off Lee Trent Bridge first-innings - very poor, was an obvious edge.
Martyn lbws Old Trafford second-innings and Trent Bridge first-innings - obvious errors but the sort that does happen from time to time.
I'm also sure Simon Jones was plumb lbw and not given at some point but looking back I'm less sure of exactly when it was than I'd thought.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
93 English wickets, each one taken by a cheating convict. There's your total.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It took me years to get the Aussies to like me after the footy Wc in 06 and then the 06-07 Ashes. All that hard work, down the drain. Ah well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I believe that one of the umpires in the third test miscounted the number of deliveries bowled in an over resulting in a five ball over, another error was the failure of the umpire in the oval test or was it Lords (it felt like London) to award runs when clearly the gentleman hit the ball.

Seriously I'm not too concerned about the 2005 series when Hughes, Hussey, Haddin, Johnson, Siddle, Hauritz, Clark, Cook, Bopara, Prior, Swann, Anderson, Onions didn't take part.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The two major umpiring errors in 2005 were the appointments of Bowden and Bucknor.

Top_Cat

Bell caught off Warne Edgbaston second-innings - same as Pietersen above. Remember these three as they came in quick succession.
No kidding, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this one - it looked stone-cold out to me. I've watched it a few times myself and every time I see the bat move at the exact time the ball went past it, the sequence of events ruling out the pad being involved. Surely.

I'm also sure Simon Jones was plumb lbw and not given at some point but looking back I'm less sure of exactly when it was than I'd thought.
Again, stone-cold; hawkeye showed it swinging back from leg-stump to hitting him 1/3 the way up middle. In real-time, though, it looked like it was tailing towards leg so I can understand why the umpire gave it not. But it was goneskis and Lee whould have ended the English innings right there instead of Flintoff spanking a few more over the fence before trying to slog Warnie.

Not that I'm suggesting it cost Aus the match.

Last edited:

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Over commenting on umpiring errors (and dropped catches too) is just the most boring topic to talk about in cricket. They should be forgotten immediately after the game IMO. Just not worth the brain space.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The thread's pretty clearly marked; people who don't want to take part don't need to.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No kidding, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this one - it looked stone-cold out to me. I've watched it a few times myself and every time I see the bat move at the exact time the ball went past it, the sequence of events ruling out the pad being involved. Surely.
You could, possibly, argue that it was unclear.
Again, stone-cold; hawkeye showed it swinging back from leg-stump to hitting him 1/3 the way up middle. In real-time, though, it looked like it was tailing towards leg so I can understand why the umpire gave it not. But it was goneskis and Lee whould have ended the English innings right there instead of Flintoff spanking a few more over the fence before trying to slog Warnie.

Not that I'm suggesting it cost Aus the match.
I've now looked the thing up, and in fact England added a whole 2 runs after the Jones would-be lbw. That made no difference whatsoever (in fact might've helped Australia mentally as they then dismissed Flintoff instead of the tailender), however the Kasprowicz non-lbw so nearly cost England the Test.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The two major umpiring errors in 2005 were the appointments of Bowden and Bucknor.
Be that as it may, Bucknor turned-out to do much better than anticipated (he'd been poor for the last 2 years) and Bowden didn't, as he usually does, give a heap of decisions in Australia's favour.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kasper's caught behind with 3 runs to get is another one and I'm sure I remember Martyn being unlucky more than once. I wasn't sure if this was counted in what you were looking at though. I read your description of the dismissals you were looking at twice and I'm still not sure :happy:

I don't think it's that big a deal really. It was a top series and England played the better of the two teams overall I thought. Their bowling was definitely better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kasper's caught behind with 3 runs to get is another one
I don't tend to count that given that it wouldn't even have happened if it wasn't for another error from the same Umpire to give him n\o about 60 runs earlier. The Umpire that nearly cost England the Test with one obvious eventually handed it back to them with a not-so-obvious one.
and I'm sure I remember Martyn being unlucky more than once. I wasn't sure if this was counted in what you were looking at though. I read your description of the dismissals you were looking at twice and I'm still not sure :happy:
Yeah - lbws in the second-innings at Old Trafford and first-innings at Trent Bridge, where he got inside-edges on both.

Top_Cat

You could, possibly, argue that it was unclear.
In my view, you'd be nuts.

I've now looked the thing up, and in fact England added a whole 2 runs after the Jones would-be lbw. That made no difference whatsoever (in fact might've helped Australia mentally as they then dismissed Flintoff instead of the tailender), however the Kasprowicz non-lbw so nearly cost England the Test.
Ah, haha, thought it was more than that. Anyway, like you said, would have made no difference.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should have a Selectorial errors thread, judging on the first morning there may be more of them.

Top_Cat

Right then, we've just had the first error of the series. Strauss n\o to a pretty obviously out lbw against Johnson.

Cost is precisely zero - Strauss out to the same bowler, the same over, without adding to his score.
Was going down leg, hawkeye showed it JUST touching. As good as a miss, I reckon.