• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Full Ashes coverage on FTA

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yep. I went out and bought a set-top box last weekend for the Ashes and Tour. Got one with a recorder because I can't do the 2005 zombie act again - well not every night.

In all seriousness, is there anything better than watching 6 hours of test cricket, or 6 hours of Le Tour? While others sit there saying "but nothing happens!"

howardj

International Coach
Will Mo Matthews again be providing his unique insights from the SBS studio, like in 2005?

"Dig it man".

"Part of the brotherhood".

"He's such a cat".

Matt79

Global Moderator
"SssssBSssss seem to think he's worth another 10,000 bums on seats, they regard him as a bit of a loosh cannon"

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep. I went out and bought a set-top box last weekend for the Ashes and Tour. Got one with a recorder because I can't do the 2005 zombie act again - well not every night.
Distinctly remember staying up until 3:30am watching the cricket then getting to work for a 7am start and almost literally praying no crime had happened. Was disappointed so many times.

redhotchilipepa

U19 Vice-Captain
Distinctly remember staying up until 3:30am watching the cricket then getting to work for a 7am start and almost literally praying no crime had happened. Was disappointed so many times.
I wonder if my work would consider it over-time if i stayed up to watch the Ashes - and then be impressed by my dedication....

Those damn criminals.... how inconsiderate can you get??? :ph34r:

Josh

International Regular
May have to find myself unemployed by choice come The Ashes/Le Tour period!

pasag

RTDAS

In all seriousness, is there anything better than watching 6 hours of test cricket, or 6 hours of Le Tour? While others sit there saying "but nothing happens!"
Finish exams on the week before, will be awesome. Assuming we don't stuff up.

The Tour de France is a 'sporting blockbuster'. Really?
Always amazed me how many people stay up watching it here. Don't understand it tbph.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Watched bits and pieces of the Tour last year. Found it not bad, but couldn't watch it by myself. Was good with a few mates, and better with a few beers.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Awesome! I'm hoping the digital television revolution will either make Foxtel not as desirable or bring the price down significantly.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I find it is the one sporting event that matches, or often exceeds, a good test match for managing to be hypnotically interesting, and yet also ok if you have to get up and go have a meal and come back, and be able to pick up what's gone on very quickly.

Tbf however, I didn't really get it at all until I worked with a guy who was fanatical and would talk me through what had happened the night before and give me hints as to what to watch for the next night. Since then, even with the spectre that whoever your watching being amazing is doing so on roids, it's absorbing stuff.

For me, has the same scope for epically heroic cameos by anyone at anytime that cricket does, even if at times the main result is not really in doubt.

Having Cadel Evans as a seemingly genuinely clean (although unfortunately, I don't think anyone can afford to be completely sure about this in cycling) competitor who is both Aussie and seemingly perpetually battling with insane bravery one-out against better staffed teams certainly has added to the interest for me in the last few years.

Will probably record both, and flick back and forth live.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Suppose it's got bigger Down Under with recent Aussie hopes of a win.
Interesting. I never would have guessed. I always assumed it was a minority sport with a small hardcore following but no real large scale public interest.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think the jaw dropping scenery and some very good coverage by SBS have helped. But yeah, the success of guys like Robbie McEwan and Baden Cook in the sprinters category has built up awareness over the past decade and then Cadel Evans emergence as a genuine contender has caused it to really take off.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
My flatmate loves the Tour, so he explained it to me and got me into it last year. Lots of reasons for getting into it.

inbox24

International Debutant
Cycling is very much like cricket. On the surface it looks so boring and shallow, but once you get into it's quite interesting.