Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashes Blog - http://www.cricketweb.net/blog/asheshq/

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Couple more

- Any time a substitute fielder comes on the commentators will reference Gary Pratt's run out of Ricky in 2005.
    - Any time a batsmen is asked if he is okay after being hit commentators will reference the great sportsmanship of the 2005 series.
    - Hauritz being tonked will inevitably bring forth variatons on "There's a certain Australian spinner who took 40 wickets last time, but he's in the box with us now. Why aren't you out there Warney?"

- Any dropped catch will be compared to Warne shelling KP on the final day at The Oval.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Cricket Web - Ashes HQ: Freddie's Ashes - The Sequel

Can't hold back the Freddie love any longer, his time is now (again)
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    What it all means to me, as a supporter and a parent.

Ashes Blog - Ashes HQ
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Is there any way I can stop getting ****tons of emails about this thing a day? Would be greatly appreciated, as I don't care.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Who will take the most wickets?
    Will: I'm going to take a punt and say Stuart Clark.
    Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    - Hauritz being tonked will inevitably bring forth variatons on "There's a certain Australian spinner who took 40 wickets last time, but he's in the box with us now. Why aren't you out there Warney?"

Called it. Nasser showed a montage of Warney's wickets & went for "he'll be here with us for the rest of the week" this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Alfresco View Post
    Hmmm
    Haha, looking dodgy.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Well, my leading runscorer is correct so far

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    England had two fall to play ons today...think i only remember one maybe two inside edges past the stumps..not a great ratio given how much you see chinese cuts happen in cricket these days. Similarly i only remember a couple at most edges short of a fielder.

Thought Australia bowled well in periods but also at times bowled poorly...wouldn't say they were the better team by a country mile. They went missing for the whole of the middle session and had a very poor spell around the second new ball before coming back at the end.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    England had two fall to play ons today...think i only remember one maybe two inside edges past the stumps..not a great ratio given how much you see chinese cuts happen in cricket these days. Similarly i only remember a couple at most edges short of a fielder.

Thought Australia bowled well in periods but also at times bowled poorly...wouldn't say they were the better team by a country mile. They went missing for the whole of the middle session and had a very poor spell around the second new ball before coming back at the end.

Yep agree with this, and they (the Aussies) didn't actually look like taking a wicket at first until Cook did one of his trademark prods. Think there were massive periods of the game when we were comfortably on top and the Crims looked clueless.

but it's a game of opinions I suppose...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Yeah, think UC watching a different game to me. At least twice (with KP/Colly and Fred/Prior going) we were in the driving seat and then handed the initiative back with daft shots.

Australian fielding would get a pass mark at best too. Clarke shelled a difficult chance from KP, overthrows were conceded because of no backing up and twice Hughes allowed boundaries he might've stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Yep agree with this, and they (the Aussies) didn't actually look like taking a wicket at first until Cook did one of his trademark prods. Think there were massive periods of the game when we were comfortably on top and the Crims looked clueless.

but it's a game of opinions I suppose...
    Tbf, England scored 21 runs before that Cook prank-shot. The match effectively didn't begin until he got out.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, think UC watching a different game to me. At least twice (with KP/Colly and Fred/Prior going) we were in the driving seat and then handed the initiative back with daft shots.

Australian fielding would get a pass mark at best too. Clarke shelled a difficult chance from KP, overthrows were conceded because of no backing up and twice Hughes allowed boundaries he might've stopped.
    I probably missed the bits where England were on top. I'm not being cheeky, I mean I genuinely missed a lot of them.

More to the point though, I'd say England played poorly because there's not a single contribution you'd be particularly happy with. Cook? Let's not go there. Strauss? Didn't score enough runs. Bopara? Looked like getting out, then got out. Colly looked solid, then lost his concentration when he could have been on for a big one. KP looked worse than I've ever seen him, but did well to get into the 60s before playing the most horrendous shot I've ever seen. You really want something more substantial from Prior and Flintoff.

Anyhow, I can only call it as I see it, and Australia definitely looked the better side to me. So it's a bit surprising to look at the scoreboard at the end of the day and see England in such a strong position.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information