Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trent Bridge & The Ashes

Cricket Spectator

Trent Bridge & The Ashes

I don't think there's a right minded cricket fan in the country who can believe TB has missed out on hosting an Ashes Test next summer. Whats all the more galling is the fact that its been ignored in favour of a ground that's basically not much more than an outground and thats not hosted a Test before. Surely Cardiff should have done its 'apprenticeship' like The Riverside and hosted the minor sides like Zimbabwe,Bangladesh and The Windies 1st in Tests. Even the press have noted with astonishment the lack of Ashes action in Nottingham next season and outside of London there is no better cricket ground in the country.

I know I'm biased being a member but yesterday brought home what a special venue TB is and what a shameful decision it is to deny it such a prestigious game on what seems political grounds. To add insult to injury there isn't even a test match there next season, and the T20 World Cup is a pretty poor consolation prize.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Can say the same every time Old Trafford or Headingley doesn't get a Test.

Shame of the matter is, it'd be so much best to have six-Test Ashes series, but that simply isn't viable any more, unless you reduce the number of Tests per summer by 1. Or, even, increase it by 1, getting rid of all international Twenty20 and all bar maybe 5 ODIs.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Regular
    Does anyone know where I can find all the information on the 2009 Ashes and the venues? Also, has it been announced?

'Course it has, ages ago. There's pages here there and everywhere.

International Regular
    I haven't come across any yet.

Banned
    hopefully they picked 5 venues that only rain 20 hours a day.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    hopefully they picked 5 venues that only rain 20 hours a day.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Shame of the matter is, it'd be so much best to have six-Test Ashes series, but that simply isn't viable any more, unless you reduce the number of Tests per summer by 1. Or, even, increase it by 1, getting rid of all international Twenty20 and all bar maybe 5 ODIs.
    Chances are next year it will be a 5-Test summer...

I say we make the Ashes 7 Tests long
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Haha, yeah, what with this Twenty20 stuff, it presumably will. International tournaments mean rules have exceptions, though.

I don't like the idea of a seven-Test series though, it's never been done (yeah yeah, I know, some records have the 1970\71 series as seven games, but it wasn't, it was six and everyone knows it was six - there was one washed-out entirely and the extra game was only added because of this) and never should for mine. Six is good (The 'Gabba, Bellerive Oval, Adelaide Oval, The WACA, The MCG, The SCG; Edgbaston, Lord's, Old Trafford, Headingley, Trent Bridge, The Oval). Seven is not.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Haha, yeah, what with this Twenty20 stuff, it presumably will. International tournaments mean rules have exceptions, though.

I don't like the idea of a seven-Test series though, it's never been done (yeah yeah, I know, some records have the 1970\71 series as seven games, but it wasn't, it was six and everyone knows it was six - there was one washed-out entirely and the extra game was only added because of this) and never should for mine. Six is good (The 'Gabba, Bellerive Oval, Adelaide Oval, The WACA, The MCG, The SCG; Edgbaston, Lord's, Old Trafford, Headingley, Trent Bridge, The Oval). Seven is not.
    I was joking tbh

The reason it's five isn't because of the T20 - it's because we're due to play ZImbabwe

Breakout Champion!
    Headingley can have a Test when France gets Test status. Until then, it can gagf.

Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    Headingley can have a Test when France gets Test status. Until then, it can gagf.
    Sweet. Test cricket at Sheffield and Scarborough. Just what the citizens of a 'free' 'Broad Acres' would want.

Its already 4 counties, so its own CC wouldnt be an issue.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

School Boy/Girl Captain leepayne's Avatar
    I completely agree, Trent Bridge is an incredible ground. I have been there for the Tests for the last two years and I have absolutely loved it. The players love playing there, the media love working there and the crowd loves going there. It is in a brilliant position in Nottingham too.

It was a strange decision to leave Trent Bridge and Old Trafford out of the venues to host the Ashes next year, they both had very special matches in 2005. I have nothing against Cardiff having a Test venue, but it is peculiar - would Cricket Australia allow the first Ashes Test to be played in Canberra? Why, also, has it taken the traditional first Test of the series away from Lord's?

There's no long-standing tradition about Lord's having the opening Test. It's only been the last 5 years that the opening Test of both series has been at Lord's. As recently as 2003, the series against South Africa started at Edgbaston. So did The Ashes 2001, so did the Wisden Trophy series in 2000, so did the series against New Zealand in 1999, so did the series against South Africa in 1998, so did The Ashes 1997.

There might be patterns before then but I CBA looking for 'em really.

Old Trafford & especially Headingly are **** holes though. Neither compare with Trent Bridge for me TBH.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information