• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For the love of Plunkett and Piscine, why Dunc why ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Why won't England consider The SAJ aka Sajid Mahmood for selection.....?

I hear the common refrain that he is simply not good enough -- well I have a question then, why was Mahmood then picked in the squad in the first place. Surely if he was picked in the squad, then you have gotta be prepared for him to play.......
And the way Anderson (who I can't ever see being consistently successful at test level with his action) and Steve 'I'm from Literate Durham' Harmison bowled in the first test, surely the Saj can't be any worse ? Plus, he's got a bit of that X-factror which might just give the Aussies a nasty surprise.

Also, Mudhsudhan Singh - I don't think Giles is abad cricketer - but if England are not getting out of their mindset of playing two spinners (then I think Panesar must play).
I mean seriously, how much is Giles going to contribute with the bat....at best he'll make a 20 or so....if you're relying on your tailender to get you runs you know you're in trouble.
In any case, I think Strauss, Cook, Colly, Belly, King VIv Petersen and Freddy are nmore than good enough to get some decent runs.
I would look to maximise my chance of taking 20 wickets - which I think is Engand's biggest challenge on this tour by picking the better spinner in Panesar and by dropping non-performing pacemen (Anderson/Harmison).

techno t

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Salamuddin said:
Why won't England consider The SAJ aka Sajid Mahmood for selection.....?

I hear the common refrain that he is simply not good enough -- well I have a question then, why was Mahmood then picked in the squad in the first place. Surely if he was picked in the squad, then you have gotta be prepared for him to play.......
And the way Anderson (who I can't ever see being consistently successful at test level with his action) and Steve 'I'm from Literate Durham' Harmison bowled in the first test, surely the Saj can't be any worse ? Plus, he's got a bit of that X-factror which might just give the Aussies a nasty surprise.

Also, Mudhsudhan Singh - I don't think Giles is abad cricketer - but if England are not getting out of their mindset of playing two spinners (then I think Panesar must play).
I mean seriously, how much is Giles going to contribute with the bat....at best he'll make a 20 or so....if you're relying on your tailender to get you runs you know you're in trouble.
In any case, I think Strauss, Cook, Colly, Belly, King VIv Petersen and Freddy are nmore than good enough to get some decent runs.
I would look to maximise my chance of taking 20 wickets - which I think is Engand's biggest challenge on this tour by picking the better spinner in Panesar and by dropping non-performing pacemen (Anderson/Harmison).
dude i agree with you. Its been my arguement all along. The best way in which we, england are gonna win is by taking 20 wickets. We really should not be relying on tailenders to bat us to a good total.

If Harmy bowls pap again, i say bring in mahmood cos he is a very nippy bowler.

But i dont think fletcher will do it though :wacko:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Salamuddin said:
Don't even go there.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Because he's ****.
And so is Plunkett TBF. If thats the future of English quicks then its a sorry state. Hopefully Broad and Tremlett can push on and overtake them.

Saj brings nothing to the table that the other guys dont apart from less experience.

Now Im not saying the other guys are great, and when they are **** they are as **** as Saj can be. However, when they are good they are better.

There is an expression in American sports "The backup Quarterback is always the most popular man in town"

In otherwords if you are not playing then you cant mess up and people can speculate about what an improvement you would be without you actually having to do anything.

The grass isnt always greener my friend. :)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Smith is the saviour, mark my words
Indeed. Him and Simon Marshall, who will solve the "spinner who takes wickets vs. spinner who can bat" problem.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Big case for Saj in this test for mine. Yes, he'll be expensive but he does bowl wicket taking deliveries & can bat a bit, which is two points to lift him above Anderson & Harmison just now.

chalky

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
Big case for Saj in this test for mine. Yes, he'll be expensive but he does bowl wicket taking deliveries & can bat a bit, which is two points to lift him above Anderson & Harmison just now.
I would have brought in Saj & Monty for Giles and Anderson for this test. I think Australia will score at decent rate no matter who is bowling but as you said at least Saj will bowl the odd wicket taking delivery.