• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Commentary

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
oh geez Sky's team is poor, i rather the channel 9 team TBH, hopefully i can get to hear them somehow.

straightbat

Cricket Spectator
ABC has the best team around.Just turn the sound down on the TV and the sound up on the radio. The sooner channel 9 get rid of Greig and Taylor the better. When Taylor comes on this summer just wait for him to repeat what the last commentator just said especially if it was Chappell. Taylor likes nothing more than a good repeat. Just listening to him makes me really wonder if he was such a good captain. Maybe it was having the Waugh's Healy Warne around him!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Yeah, I can't believe people like Lawry, but I live in a glass house myself enjoying Greiggy. And to be fair (it's quite important, after all), it's Greig that makes all the terrible "Oh, he's done that beautifully.... oh, he's out!" calls. Lawry's crimes are of a different variety.

I remember Kate Fitzpatrick quite well, that was a real fiasco. She spent all her time asking idiotic questions and laughing about the bowlers rubbing the ball on their pants (and the mark it leaves behind) - you know, the stuff somebody who's really bored, or seeing the game for the first time laughs at. I don't know what they were thinking, one of those patronising "what about a women's touch?" things that used to float about back then, because nobody could possibly believe that you could find a woman anywhere in the country (maybe the world) who would actually know something about cricket and be able to talk about it. 8-) Fitzpatrick's credentials were only as a second-rate actor.

Anyhow, hopefully Brantz, the new addition, will be decent. With Lawry, Healy and Tubbs (I will forever call Taylor this after Pedro's post) to compete with, she's got a fair chance of not being the worst on the team.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I just noticed Tuffers on the team - I can see him getting old after a while, but he might be amusing early. :)

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Why do Channel Nine need nine commentators - plus some token bimbo we've never heard of and won't kmow anything about cricket anyway. As usual the best team would be a combination of the two - say Benaud and Chappell from Nine, Bunble and Beefy from Sky plus Willis - sadly only in the studio - and Boycott - sadly not there at all. We'd need to keep Beefy and Chappell apart but at least us Brits won't have to suffer "tweedle dee and tweddle dum" aka Greig and Lawry. Will Nine EVER sack them?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Poker Boy said:
Why do Channel Nine need nine commentators - plus some token bimbo we've never heard of and won't kmow anything about cricket anyway.
Haha, nice generalisation in assuming she's a "token bimbo". FYI, she's a respected journalist and did studio work during the Football World Cup earlier this year on SBS. Besides, she won't be commentating, she'll be doing hosting stuff and interviews and so on, presumably.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
A female Charles Colville (Sky cricket host) in other words. Sky let Charles commentate on domestic cricket but when the big boys come out to play he's stuck in the studio....

pasag

RTDAS
FaaipDeOiad said:
Haha, nice generalisation in assuming she's a "token bimbo". FYI, she's a respected journalist and did studio work during the Football World Cup earlier this year on SBS. Besides, she won't be commentating, she'll be doing hosting stuff and interviews and so on, presumably.
Was she the one that pissed Warne off by asking him about Simone as he was walking back to the pavillion after getting out a month or so ago?

Anyways, yeh she's not commentating but doing interviews and other bits and pieces around the place.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Poker Boy said:
A female Charles Colville (Sky cricket host) in other words. Sky let Charles commentate on domestic cricket but when the big boys come out to play he's stuck in the studio....
I'm not familiar with the role he plays, but from what I've read she will be like a roving reporter. She'll probably talk about the crowd atmosphere, weather conditions, conduct interviews with the players and that sort of thing, and may even be involved in the pitch reports in some way. Basically she will be a host, not a commentator, as she is a presenter and not a cricket player by profession. It's basically the same sort of role that Simon O'Donnell plays for Channel 9 currently, where he hosts things from the studio and so on but isn't actually in the commentary box.

She was apparently headhunted by 9 specifically for the job because of the work she did hosting the World Cup.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking forward to the cricket starting, and to hear Mark Nicholas doing his pre show television stuff. Love listening to that guy.

archie mac

International Coach
pasag said:
Was she the one that pissed Warne off by asking him about Simone as he was walking back to the pavillion after getting out a month or so ago?

Anyways, yeh she's not commentating but doing interviews and other bits and pieces around the place.

Just on female commentators, I did not enjoy Belinda Clark on ABC last season, a little too boring. Maybe this year she will come out of her shell a little more

pasag

RTDAS
vic_orthdox said:
Pretty sure that it wasn't her, pasag.

Most likely to be Richard Wilkins, TBH.
Haha

Someone needs to put him out of his misery. When they interviewed him when Belinda Emmett died, it was so cringeworthy.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I just want to say about the girl on Channel Nine..it wouldn't happen in Britain. Sky don't use a female commentator (except for women's cricket) or even a female host...Channel 4 tried Claire Connor in 2003 but only for Zimbabwe Test..she had disappeared by the time of the SA series. I don't think cricket fans in Britain would stand for it. And the only woman I've heard on BBC Radio is a foreinger (Donna Symonds from WI).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Poker Boy said:
I just want to say about the girl on Channel Nine..it wouldn't happen in Britain. Sky don't use a female commentator (except for women's cricket) or even a female host...Channel 4 tried Claire Connor in 2003 but only for Zimbabwe Test..she had disappeared by the time of the SA series. I don't think cricket fans in Britain would stand for it. And the only woman I've heard on BBC Radio is a foreinger (Donna Symonds from WI).
What makes you think people wouldn't stand for it? They've even used female reporters/hosts on the AFL over here and it's never been an issue. She's just going to be talking to people ffs, it's not like she's calling the game.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
What makes you think people wouldn't stand for it? They've even used female reporters/hosts on the AFL over here and it's never been an issue. She's just going to be talking to people ffs, it's not like she's calling the game.
I said people in Britain wouldn't stand for it. If the Aussies want her, good luck to them. But I'm sure if Sky thought the British people would stand for it they would employ one. Each country is different! I'm convinced it will never happen in Britain. IMO men's sports should be played, umpired commentated on and hosted by MEN.