• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Enforcing the follow-on is the sensible move, but Ponting always likes to bat again. The main motivation is presumably that McGrath has just bowled 9 overs in a row and asking him to take the new ball again in 10 minutes is a tad harsh. If Australia do bat again, they will presumably look to bat through to tomorrow and grind England into the dust a bit. A bit of a waste of time, though.

Anyway, what a performance from McGrath. His post-lunch spell was nothing short of magical, and the fact that he's still bowling like that at 36 is a testament to his brilliance. Once again, he not only proves his critics wrong, he makes them look absolutely foolish.

Good performance form Clark too. Certainly the right choice on this surface.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Surely they'll bat again. The aussies have only been in the field for two and half sessions.

How good is Clark going. Its going to be a poser for Adelaide, even if Watson is fit again. Can they leave out Clark after this performance in favour of MacGill?

Matt79

Global Moderator
So bowl McGrath as first change. Lee's had a bit of a break and Clark is a "young" guy, and had only bowled a short spell just then.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
SirBloody Idiot said:
They very rarely enforce the follow on after that match in India.
True - but personally I would have had no hesitation in asking England to bat again, open the bowling innings with Brett Lee and Stuart Clark is necessary. McGrath will obviously get a rest now so that does work in Australia's favour but just seems a bit odd to me. How long will they need to bat for then? An hour before tea today?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
McGrath has bowled 23 overs. Shows how ludicrous the idea that England players are "overbowled" is.
Yeah that's a fair point. McGrath's bowled nearly as many overs as any of the England bowlers did in a 150+ over innings. He's 36 and hasn't played cricket for 11 months. Yet there's concern about Harmison and Flintoff bowling 25 or so over two days. Mind you, it's more justified with Flintoff because of his other workload, but certainly a bowler should be able to bowl 20 overs in a day in a test match without it being a major fitness concern.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Ponting is ****ing insane. 450 ahead, I'm pretty sure that'd be close to a world record chase, yet alone needing to set a total. You're just wasting time England need for a draw, and giving them a chance to get some form.

Got to be one of the worst decisions I've ever witnessed in my life. I'd almost shoot the idiot.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, and Warne hasn't bowled that many overs by his standards, so if necessary he can hold up an end for the entire last session and use the three quicks in rotation.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That Indian lineup had Sehwag, Sachin, Dravid, Laxman. On home pitches to boot. England haven't got anyone close who can do a 281 and 180 like Laxman and Dravid.

But I can understand why they will bat again, just to give McGrath a break for a bit.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Matt79 said:
Surely they'll bat again. The aussies have only been in the field for two and half sessions.

How good is Clark going. Its going to be a poser for Adelaide, even if Watson is fit again. Can they leave out Clark after this performance in favour of MacGill?
I would most certainly maintain Clark.

I think one of Martyn and Clarke will make way in the second test no matter the result for either Watson or MacGill. I hear MacGill took 6/118 today in a domestic four day match so that sends a clear message to the Australian selectors. As I have maintained however, Shane Watson provides more balance to the Australian side and should be given the opportunity to play when fit.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Matt79 said:
So bowl McGrath as first change. Lee's had a bit of a break and Clark is a "young" guy, and had only bowled a short spell just then.
Yeah. I usually agree with Ponting about not enforcing the follow-on, as it's relatively rare that you get much of an advantage out of it and batting last is always tough, but in this case with a 450 run lead it's a bit stupid. McGrath can bowl one or two overs and then give the ball to Clark, and Warne has bowled 9 overs for the whole match.

greg

International Debutant
AussieDominance said:
mmm not sure why? if correct
Because McGrath has just bowled 23 overs in a 2/3 of a day. And there's a test match next week. Australia will only bat for a couple of hours.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah. I usually agree with Ponting about not enforcing the follow-on, as it's relatively rare that you get much of an advantage out of it and batting last is always tough, but in this case with a 450 run lead it's a bit stupid. McGrath can bowl one or two overs and then give the ball to Clark, and Warne has bowled 9 overs for the whole match.
As much success as Oz has had over the years and as good a position as they're in in this match, this is why I hate 4 man attacks.

You'd think only rain could save Eng but they could strike psychological blows against some batsmen, Harmy could bowl his way into form etc

And all because we've only got 4 bowlers and it's deemed necessary to give them a rest

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I understand why Australia would want to bat again for an hour or two and score some quick runs to make sure that England don't have a chance of winning but still, what happens if some of the English batsman really get stuck in and they do manage to save the test by batting through two days? It would be quite an acheivement but make Ponting look silly.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Perm said:
I understand why Australia would want to bat again for an hour or two and score some quick runs to make sure that England don't have a chance of winning but still, what happens if some of the English batsman really get stuck in and they do manage to save the test by batting through two days? It would be quite an acheivement but make Ponting look silly.
It'd be a sackable offence in my mind if England can save this test and Ponting batted a session or two while 450 runs ahead.

I'd almost advocate the death penalty being reinstated for offences such as that.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
social said:
As much success as Oz has had over the years and as good a position as they're in in this match, this is why I hate 4 man attacks.

You'd think only rain could save Eng but they could strike psychological blows against some batsmen, Harmy could bowl his way into form etc

And all because we've only got 4 bowlers and it's deemed necessary to give them a rest
Well, we would have had a five man attack, but we had an injury and there's no one else good enough.

shortpitched713

International Captain
In other news, Ponting proves once again that he is an absolute git. With enforcing the follow-on even if everything went wrong and England batted through the day without losing any wickets Aus would still have had two days to take the wickets, and score the runs. Really don't see the need to bat again as England look nowhere near capable of getting 450. Batting now is a lose-lose situation. If they bat for too long, they would have lost valuable time in trying to bowl out the English. If you bat for too short of time before declaring, then there really wasn't any point and you've wasted an innings.