• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Ashes Thread***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
well in most bowler friendlly conditions i would still want McGrath over Jones..
Define "bowler-friendly conditions". Both McGrath and Jones have the capability to make pretty much any conditions friendly to them.
McGrath is, in my estimation, better on a seamer or an uneven pitch (like... Lord's 2005, for instance - or Trent Bridge 2003), but if Jones can continue his development he's unquestionably better on pitches offering no seam and only a hint of unevenness (eg Edgbaston and Old Trafford 2005).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
well its not like McGrath doesn't have the ability to reverse swing the ball once the conditions suite.
Jones is still the more capable practitioner, though - McGrath still seems to use the thing only reluctantly. I can't think of him using it much last winter (summer in Australia).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Define "bowler-friendly conditions". Both McGrath and Jones have the capability to make pretty much any conditions friendly to them.
McGrath is, in my estimation, better on a seamer or an uneven pitch (like... Lord's 2005, for instance - or Trent Bridge 2003), but if Jones can continue his development he's unquestionably better on pitches offering no seam and only a hint of unevenness (eg Edgbaston and Old Trafford 2005).
fair enough then, i'll take that.

Hoggy31

International Captain
I would take Jones over McGrath if the conditions were well suited for swing bowling. But in all other cases I'd definately take McGrath

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Point is, "conditions" depend very much on the controllable.
If you put the ball into the condition for either conventional or reverse swing, conditions are fabourable for swing. And by-and-large, the players can control what condition the ball is in.
That's what's so useful about being able to bowl both conventional and reverse swing.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jones is obviously the better reverse swing bowler, and therefore if the ball was reversing you'd give it to Jones first, but in terms of actual selection for a side you'd go for McGrath every time. He's the far more complete bowler, and has shown time and again that he can perform on absolutely any pitch against any batsman.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hoggy31 said:
I would take Jones over McGrath if the conditions were well suited for swing bowling. But in all other cases I'd definately take McGrath
With the schedule for the 2006/07 Ashes being as it is, I doubt they'll play 5 tests between them.

greg

International Debutant
krishneelz said:
time for an official thread

hayden > strauss
langer < tresko
ponting > vaughn
marto < pietersen
hussey > collingwood
clarke < freddy
gilli > jones
lee > hoggard
warne > giles
kaspa < harmison
pegion > jones

batting pretty even but aussies bowling attack will rip through the english. Remember pegion was injured and not fully recovered when the aussies lost their matches
Is this really the team that you expect Aus to put out? Where can i back England? ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
To suggest Lee is better than Hoggard and that either McGrath or Kasprowicz are better than Jones is frankly stupid.
McGrath is so much better than Jones it's not even a contest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Jones is obviously the better reverse swing bowler, and therefore if the ball was reversing you'd give it to Jones first, but in terms of actual selection for a side you'd go for McGrath every time. He's the far more complete bowler, and has shown time and again that he can perform on absolutely any pitch against any batsman.
You who are normally the "he's performed 3 or 4 times, he's already proven himself" type... :blink:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
McGrath is so much better than Jones it's not even a contest.
Not really, McGrath hasn't bowled especially well in his last 8 Tests.
Obviously earlier in his career he was far better than Jones is ever likely to be, but we're not talking about earlier in his career, we're talking about 2006\07.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
You who are normally the "he's performed 3 or 4 times, he's already proven himself" type... :blink:
Compare that with your 'Flintoff is rubbish and McGrath is lucky'

;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Flintoff was rubbish and McGrath was lucky between The Oval 2001 and The 'Gabba 2004\05.
In any case - the point I was making was that Sean appeared to be using a policy alien to his common one. McGrath\Flintoff isn't really relevant to what I was saying?

(Yes, I'm aware your post was in jest)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Not really, McGrath hasn't bowled especially well in his last 8 Tests.
Obviously earlier in his career he was far better than Jones is ever likely to be, but we're not talking about earlier in his career, we're talking about 2006\07.
just early in his career, even if McGrath hasn't bowled to his usual superb standards in his last 8 test, he is still way ahead of Jones & any other bowler in the world.