• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will England Choke in 2006/07 Ashes And wats your best aussieXI

What will the score be in the 2006-07 Ashes series?

• 5-0 Aussies

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 3-2 poms

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 5-0 poms

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 4-1 aussies

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 3-2 Aussies

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 4-1 poms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drawn series

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RoyForPM

Cricket Spectator
I Believe England's 2005 triumph was a fluke on their home turf. When the Poms come down under they are gonna cop some, for example 90 000 Melbournians on Boxing Day.
England past away performances have shown they cant play away from home Aussies to win 5-0. Reasons Why?
England Lack in openers, Trescothik hasn't scored a ton against Aussies, Strauss struggled against leg spin
W/Keeper Jones poor glovemen/batsmen need some new talent
Bowlers, not much swing down under
Aussie tracks compleelty differnt to pommy tracks, WACAs steepling bounce, adelaide and Sydney turning wickets
Middle order if aussies had of taken catches in 2005 Pietersen would average about 15 as would Flintoff, and Bell shouldn't even be playing county cricket
Final reason, Brett Lee has matured and is the best bowler in the world, is bowling quicker than ever.
The Aussie team i think for 2006/07 will Be:
M.Hayden
J.Langer
R.Ponting
M.Cosgrove
M.Hussey
A.Symonds
A.Gilchrist
B.Lee
G.McGrath/J.Gillespie
S.Tait
S.Macgill

Maybes: B.Dorey, P Jaques, B Haddin,
What Do You Think?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'll limit myself to suggesting that Chris Hinton is now no longer the CW forumite least capable of forming a coherent sentence, and allow everyone else to rip into the rubbish contained within the inelegance.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
RoyForPM said:
I Believe England's 2005 triumph was a fluke on their home turf. When the Poms come down under they are gonna cop some, for example 90 000 Melbournians on Boxing Day.
England past away performances have shown they cant play away from home Aussies to win 5-0. Reasons Why?
England Lack in openers, Trescothik hasn't scored a ton against Aussies, Strauss struggled against leg spin
Aussie tracks compleelty differnt to pommy tracks, WACAs steepling bounce, adelaide and Sydney turning wickets
Middle order if aussies had of taken catches in 2005 Pietersen would average about 15 as would Flintoff, and Bell shouldn't even be playing county cricket
Final reason, Brett Lee has matured and is the best bowler in the world, is bowling quicker than ever.
M.Hayden
J.Langer
R.Ponting
M.Cosgrove
M.Hussey
A.Symonds
A.Gilchrist
B.Lee
G.McGrath/J.Gillespie
S.Tait
S.Macgill

What Do You Think?
I think England might even manage 5 an over for a series against that bowling lineup (unless someone manages to wheel McGrath out for a bowl for most of the series)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Alright, I`m saying it now...

Australia will win the Ashes 4-0. Let`s see what happens. :laugh:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
RoyForPM said:
M.Hayden
J.Langer
R.Ponting
M.Cosgrove
M.Hussey
A.Symonds
A.Gilchrist
B.Lee
G.McGrath/J.Gillespie
S.Tait
S.Macgill

What Do You Think?
Right, someone's gotta deconstruct this rubbish, it might as well be me.

When the Poms come down under they are gonna cop some, for example 90 000 Melbournians on Boxing Day. - the Barmy Army will outsing them all. That's not a joke - Australian crowds might make noise when there's a wicket or a six, but the Barmy Army don't shut up for entire days.

England past away performances have shown they cant play away from home Aussies to win 5-0 - by the same token, Australian performances against the current England side have shown that they are incapable of winning a series against them. Past performances mean nothing, in cricket or any other sport.

England Lack in openers - yes, three of them averaging over 45 with one having 5,500 Test runs to his name is a real gaping hole.

Trescothik hasn't scored a ton against Aussies - no, but he was England's second top run-scorer last summer and averaged 43.10. Also he did score 90 on one occasion.

Strauss struggled against leg spin
- only remotely valid points you make. However, Strauss still managed to make two centuries last summer and Jones' keeping is improving.

- Reverse swing, which is what Australia were unable to handle last summer, happens everywhere. Aussie tracks are different, yes - but that will mean more bounce and pace for the likes of Flintoff, Jones and Harmison as well as the likes of Lee and (s******) Tait.

Middle order if aussies had of taken catches in 2005 Pietersen would average about 15 as would Flintoff - patently not true. Pietersen was not dropped all series until the Oval, and Flintoff was not dropped all series.

Bell shouldn't even be playing county cricket - yes, a first-class average of 48.84 in 2005, even including his poor Ashes, is clearly unacceptable. More than Justin Langer's averaging this Australian season by some distance, incidentally.

Final reason, Brett Lee has matured and is the best bowler in the world, is bowling quicker than ever. - Brett Lee's last 20 Tests: 83 wickets @ 34.45, with an economy rate of 3.77. That's actually worse than his career statistics overall.

M.Cosgrove - does not have a hope in hell of playing in the Ashes. If he does, Australia will have either had a distastrous 2006 season, or will be in the midst of a huge injury crisis.

That's all I can think of at the moment. 8-)

RoyForPM

Cricket Spectator
Reply to the loser pomy

Ian Bell averages 48.84 after a test series against bangladesh i could have an ave of 100 after playing them, barmy army wont get into the mcg, brett lee's recent one day series shows he is best bowler in world, langer had off year due to injury, and how did england go against pakistan?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
brett lee's recent one day series shows he is best bowler in world
hes not even australias best bowler. In fact hes not better than any of englands bowlers either.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
RoyForPM said:
Ian Bell averages 48.84 after a test series against bangladesh i could have an ave of 100 after playing them, barmy army wont get into the mcg, brett lee's recent one day series shows he is best bowler in world, langer had off year due to injury, and how did england go against pakistan?
On the subject of how England went against Pakistan, Bell averaged 52.16.

The fact that Langer had a year off due to injury has no relevance to this season's stats anyway, as he clearly hasn't been injured this season - he's been playing!

As for not letting the Barmy Army into the MCG, I forgot - they'd prefer to let in more Aussie fans so the England players can have beer cans full of urine thrown at them. Still, at least we don't have any black players, eh? God knows what'd happen to them. 8-)

Brett Lee's ODI performances are a stupid way to infer that he's the best bowler in the world. He's one of the best ODI bowlers in the world, possibly - but in Tests he's inconsistent at best.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Brett's last seven ODIs:

6 0 31 1 5.17 2 W VB Series 11 v SA in Aus 2005/06 at Sydney (d/n) [2323]
10 1 48 0 4.80 1 L VB Series F1 v SL in Aus 2005/06 at Adelaide (d/n) [2326]
8 0 42 0 5.25 2 W VB Series F2 v SL in Aus 2005/06 at Sydney (d/n) [2328]
10 0 58 0 5.80 1 W VB Series F3 v SL in Aus 2005/06 at Brisbane (d/n) [2330]
10 0 59 0 5.90 2 L 1st ODI v SA in SA 2005/06 at Centurion [2341]
8 0 51 1 6.38 1 L 2nd ODI v SA in SA 2005/06 at Cape Town (d/n) [2345]
9 2 48 4 5.33 2 W 3rd ODI v SA in SA 2005/06 at Port Elizabeth [2347]

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I will be the forty-seven-thousandth to say that I am not racist, and just because my location says Australia doesn't mean I heckled Murali or the South Africans from the stands.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I will be the forty-seven-thousandth to say that I am not racist, and just because my location says Australia doesn't mean I heckled Murali or the South Africans from the stands.
Yes, I know. I'm not accusing you of anything, or any of the other Australians on this forum. :)

But the fact remains that Australian crowds do have a pretty terrible track record - they say every country has its idiots, and that's true, so I guess in Australia the idiots must go to the cricket, rather than the football like they do over here.

simmy

International Regular
RoyForPM said:
M.Hayden
J.Langer
R.Ponting
M.Cosgrove
M.Hussey
A.Symonds
A.Gilchrist
B.Lee
G.McGrath/J.Gillespie
S.Tait
S.Macgill

What Do You Think?
Dont talk rubbish. How was it a fluke? England could easily have won by more... and after the first test never looked the worst side.

Things will be tougher for them this time round and they probably wont be retaining the Ashes, but fully fit they should win them back in the next home series.

England in England is a extremely tough challenge for any team, as the touring sides will see this summer and have for the past 2.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
I'll limit myself to suggesting that Chris Hinton is now no longer the CW forumite least capable of forming a coherent sentence, and allow everyone else to rip into the rubbish contained within the inelegance.
I'll give it a bash myself, too... when I've had tea.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
RoyForPM said:
Wow, good players aren't bothered by the crowd.
England Lack in openers
No, England have plenty of openers.
Trescothik hasn't scored a ton against Aussies
No, he hasn't, but he did manage to average over 40, which says a lot about how poor Australia's fielding was. The chances of it being any better this time around are very slim, as they lack the talent.
Wow, I'm sure he'll correct that if he gets to face enough pies from MacGill.
Not really, Jones' glovework has been first-rate of late.
Good bowlers can swing a ball anywhere.
With Giles and possibly Panesar in the attack England have the armoury if we get a SCG turner. When, prey, was the last time we had a proper WACA bouncer? Even if so, England's seam attack is infinately stronger so they're very likely to win out on such a pitch.
Middle order if aussies had of taken catches in 2005 Pietersen would average about 15 as would Flintoff
Yes, they might have done - but Australia didn't take catches, and haven't been doing for a long time (3-and-a-half years, now). To suggest they won't drop a load more in 2006\07 is fanciful.
and Bell shouldn't even be playing county cricket
You clearly don't know anything about the domestic game if you think so.
That is perhaps the most ludicrous thing I've ever answered to. Even if he was bowling quicker than ever (which he's not) he's still not even in the top 20 in The World and I'd back him to get hammered again in 2006\07.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If that Australian line-up was the team, I'd most definitely go for a comfortable England victory. The bowling attack looks mediocre at best, and positively rubbish at worst. Australia have one absolute world-class match-winner of the highest order, and you've dropped him.

A couple of careless cricket balls left around the field of play before the toss to put paid to Glenn McGrath and Symonds is likely to be your most economical bowler.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
Right, someone's gotta deconstruct this rubbish, it might as well be me.

When the Poms come down under they are gonna cop some, for example 90 000 Melbournians on Boxing Day. - the Barmy Army will outsing them all. That's not a joke - Australian crowds might make noise when there's a wicket or a six, but the Barmy Army don't shut up for entire days.

England past away performances have shown they cant play away from home Aussies to win 5-0 - by the same token, Australian performances against the current England side have shown that they are incapable of winning a series against them. Past performances mean nothing, in cricket or any other sport.

England Lack in openers - yes, three of them averaging over 45 with one having 5,500 Test runs to his name is a real gaping hole.

Trescothik hasn't scored a ton against Aussies - no, but he was England's second top run-scorer last summer and averaged 43.10. Also he did score 90 on one occasion.

- only remotely valid points you make. However, Strauss still managed to make two centuries last summer and Jones' keeping is improving.

- Reverse swing, which is what Australia were unable to handle last summer, happens everywhere. Aussie tracks are different, yes - but that will mean more bounce and pace for the likes of Flintoff, Jones and Harmison as well as the likes of Lee and (s******) Tait.

Middle order if aussies had of taken catches in 2005 Pietersen would average about 15 as would Flintoff - patently not true. Pietersen was not dropped all series until the Oval, and Flintoff was not dropped all series.

Bell shouldn't even be playing county cricket - yes, a first-class average of 48.84 in 2005, even including his poor Ashes, is clearly unacceptable. More than Justin Langer's averaging this Australian season by some distance, incidentally.

Final reason, Brett Lee has matured and is the best bowler in the world, is bowling quicker than ever. - Brett Lee's last 20 Tests: 83 wickets @ 34.45, with an economy rate of 3.77. That's actually worse than his career statistics overall.

M.Cosgrove - does not have a hope in hell of playing in the Ashes. If he does, Australia will have either had a distastrous 2006 season, or will be in the midst of a huge injury crisis.

That's all I can think of at the moment. 8-)
I forgot. You left out Shane Warne - you know who he is, right?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I forgot. You left out Shane Warne - you know who he is, right?
I don't think I do. I just googled him, but all I got was some fat guy with bleach blonde hair. So I thinks to myself "that can't be someone who could win an Ashes test. That's the stumpy dude who knocks about in the pub thinking he's a ladies man." So's I gives up looking for him.