Cricket Player Manager
Page 45 of 56 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    The notions of a 24 games game or 2 year ban should be reserved for serious stuff. This is a bit weird but it's comical more than it is malicious. And before people level the accusation that it is a Liverpool player otherwise I would be saying the opposite I absolutely wouldn't. Is a sneaky pinch that bruises an opponent something that would garner that kind of ban? You can go two footed and try to break an opponent's leg and you still wouldn't get anywhere near that kind of ban. There's just no consistency.
    I'll never understand this sort of thought process. There's a world of difference between doing something that is part of the game or designed to win a football match and ****ing biting someone for no reason. If you slide in recklessly and break someone's leg playing football you should get a red card, maybe a ban. If you grab someone off the ball and bite them you should get a much longer ban. Not because being bitten is worse than getting a broken leg, but because one of them is a reasonable and legitimate risk in the sport - you might get a broken leg, you might get concussion, you might tear a hamstring, you probably shouldn't have to worry about getting bitten. The only way it could be even remotely equivalent would be if you knew a player picked someone out and intentionally broke their leg with an unnecessary tackle with no intent to win the ball, which obviously isn't going to be something you can be sure of. We know Suarez has bitten people off the ball repeatedly, for no reason other than that he apparently likes to bite people. It has nothing to do with the sport. It's the difference between injuring someone with a bouncer that was intended to intimidate them but also get a wicket and just hitting them with a bat.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Biting in rugby union is generally a six monther across domestic, international club comps & internationals. Dylan Hartley copped one a coupla years back.

Lot more opportunity to do it in the fifteen man code too, what with scrums and rucks.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I largely agree with Faaip (not happy about how often that seems to happen lately). I'd say Roy Keane on Haaland is worse than what Suarez did last night but can scarcely think of many other tackles I would put on the same pedestal. Even most tackles we brand a disgrace aren't out and out assaults

Ben Thatcher on Pedro Mendes probably the worst thing I've seen on a football pitch, possibly

Schmacher on Battiston is probably the worst thing I've seen.

&, much as I love him, Paul Davis sucker punching a Southampton player (Glen Cockerell?) and busting his jaw was pretty poor form too.

Yeah Schumacher a good shout.

Did you watch Baddiel and Skinner back in the day? They did an awesome re-enactment of it on their Phoenix segments. Random.

Anyway I read that it would be unprecedented for them to give a club ban for anything other than a drugs ban. Would expect that to continue here.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Yeah Schumacher a good shout.

Did you watch Baddiel and Skinner back in the day? They did an awesome re-enactment of it on their Phoenix segments. Random.
    Ha, yeah. I loved their "Pele was shyte" feature too, which showed a different clip of the great man stuffing up each episode.

I think the theme song was "Pele, Pele, Pele was shyte; he was worse than Jason Lee..."

IIRC it grew out of their "Old Football was shyte" thing for their world cup progs.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Anyway I read that it would be unprecedented for them to give a club ban for anything other than a drugs ban. Would expect that to continue here.
    It's not for something done on the pitch but I'd be surprised if that is true as I imagine that people have got world bans for match-fixing and suchlike as well tbf.

Anyway all that we are hearing does sound like it won't be a club ban, yeah.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Ha, yeah. I loved their "Pele was shyte" feature too, which showed a different clip of the great man stuffing up each episode.

I think the theme song was "Pele, Pele, Pele was shyte; he was worse than Jason Lee..."

IIRC it grew out of their "Old Football was shyte" thing for their world cup progs.
    I remember Skinner ranting about Pele's 1000th goal and all the fuss it got, one time. He was saying he had just discovered that the 1000 included goals in exhibition matches and America ()

"it'd be like me celebrating my 25th joke on TV even though 9 of them were on Richard & Judy"
    Uppercut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    It's not for something done on the pitch but I'd be surprised if that is true as I imagine that people have got world bans for match-fixing and suchlike as well tbf.

Anyway all that we are hearing does sound like it won't be a club ban, yeah.
    My guess would be those bans were originally given out by the national association and then rubber-stamped by FIFA to apply worldwide. Whereas this would be disciplinary action dished out by FIFA. Maybe.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    I'm slightly miffed that Suarez hasn't, and presumably won't, face any criminal sanctions for his behaviour to be honest. Being bitten by someone is so far removed from what one could reasonably expect to be on the receiving end of whilst playing in a football match that it must surely fall outside the consent to harm that one would acquiesce to when taking part. It's an assault, pure and simple, there's no way it can be dressed up as part of the game. Not that what Keane did could be considered to be either; it just irks me that so often the limits of the law seem to end at the touchline, for no logical reason whatsoever.

Anyway, Uruguay seemingly doing their best to make themselves appear like obnoxious and thoroughly objectionable oiks by accusing Chiellini of pointing to an old scar, and saying Suarez's head inadvertently fell onto his shoulder.

Suarez's lawyer being quoted as saying that this is only a story because it's Suarez, that Italy are bitter about losing and the English media is again out to get him.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Suarez's lawyer being quoted as saying that this is only a story because it's Suarez, that Italy are bitter about losing and the English media is again out to get him.
    Yeah, the English media can't be trusted because they celebrated the phantom goal in 1966, apparently.

Well he's right, it wouldn't be quite as big a deal if it was someone else as they wouldn't have form for it.

Page 45 of 56 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread Information