• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Zimbabwe

GGG

State Captain
That would be so unfair to SL if they got it, DL needs to be rewritten for 20/20 cricket.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Real pity rain ruined the game for Zimbabwe.
They had such a great pre tournament preparation. I reckon SL should be very thankful that got that victory so easy.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, but NZ would much prefer to play Zimbabwe in the final then play Sri Lanka. I know Zimbabwe shouldnt make the final, but it would still be in their minds.
one of the idiotic statements I have seen in the CW lately

Raghav

Get ****ed, ****.

Seriously though, I bet they would have threw the game. We'll never know now though.
throwing the game away to get ZIm in super 8's will do more harm for NZ than any good... Other teams will easily get points (improving nrr also) and we need to struggle for wins against others..that may risk our semifinal spot hugely.

A clever headed Vettori knows this better

Sir Alex

Banned
throwing the game away to get ZIm in super 8's will do more harm for NZ than any good... Other teams will easily get points (improving nrr also) and we need to struggle for wins against others..that may risk our semifinal spot hugely.

A clever headed Vettori knows this better
:huh: How's Zim getting into super eight affect NZ's chances? They still have to finish in the top 2 in their group regardless right? And if Zim pull off some improbale wins and gains some points by virtue of rain etc and get into semis, won't NZ be happier to face them?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
:huh: How's Zim getting into super eight affect NZ's chances? They still have to finish in the top 2 in their group regardless right? And if Zim pull off some improbale wins and gains some points by virtue of rain etc and get into semis, won't NZ be happier to face them?
Not that I'm sure about this tournament, but previously in Super 8s in other ICC tournaments, the points from the team in your group would carry on through to the next stage.

Thus, if NZ lost to Zimbabwe to get them through, they'd actually have no points at the beginning of the stage, and wouldn't get to play Zims in the Super 8s stage, giving everyone else a free leg-up.

Raghav

It will not affect NZ's chances.. however things will get tough for NZ

Raghav

Try and be a bit more courteous than that in the future, Raghav.
There is no wrong in stating that it is one of the idiotic statements I have ever seen. That's not my fault

far better than ppl using **** words in this forum

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Not that I'm sure about this tournament, but previously in Super 8s in other ICC tournaments, the points from the team in your group would carry on through to the next stage.

Thus, if NZ lost to Zimbabwe to get them through, they'd actually have no points at the beginning of the stage, and wouldn't get to play Zims in the Super 8s stage, giving everyone else a free leg-up.
There is no carry forward of points from group stage afaic.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There is no wrong in stating that it is one of the idiotic statements I have ever seen. That's not my fault

far better than ppl using **** words in this forum
I can say that what any post is idiotic, stupid, crass or whatever, but it does nothing to add to the forum atmosphere, nor does it come with any worth unless you qualify your opinion.

Sir Alex

Banned
It will not affect NZ's chances.. however things will get tough for NZ
How so? Regardless of whether Zim or SL qualify from their group isn't going to change the opponents they have to face in super eight right? Also there is no carry forward of points either.

Last edited:

Raghav

How so? Regardless of whether Zim or Eng qualify from their group isn't going to change the opponents they have to face in super eight right? Also there is no carry forward of points either.
In Super 8's, Top 4 teams go to semis..

If there is a lower ranked team like Zim in 8's, Most of the teams will win against ZIM (ideally) and get that two points and while NZ will need to win hard to earn that two points against a nation except ZIM to be in contention...

Sir Alex

Banned

If there is a lower ranked team like Zim in 8's, Most of the teams will win against ZIM (ideally) and get that two points and while NZ will need to win hard to earn that two points against a nation except ZIM to be in contention...
Well, duh. How is Zim getting into super 8 going to increase NZ's workload an iota in their super 8 matches?

GGG

State Captain

Exactly.

GGG

State Captain
Well, duh. How is Zim getting into super 8 going to increase NZ's workload an iota in their super 8 matches?
Its not directly, but its going to give the other teams an advantage, hence it make it harder for NZ to make the semis.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Its not directly, but its going to give the other teams an advantage, hence it make it harder for NZ to make the semis.
Group 1
India
Australia/Bangladesh
England/ireland
Sri Lanka/Zimbabwe

Group 2
New Zealand
South Africa/ Afganistan
Pakistan/Australia
West Indies

Each team will play the other 3 in it's group, and the top 2 from each group shall qualify for semis.

So considering either of Zim or SL shall go to the other group, New Zealand will be least bothered about the same as far as super 8 is concerned. They can make it to semis if they finish among the top 2 in THEIR OWN GROUP, regardless of what happens in Group 1.

In other words the theory that New Zealand's work will get harder should Zim qualify is not tenable.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Group 1
India
Australia/Bangladesh
England/ireland
Sri Lanka/Zimbabwe

Group 2
New Zealand
South Africa/ Afganistan
Pakistan/Australia
West Indies

Each team will play the other 3 in it's group, and the top 2 from each group shall qualify for semis.

So considering either of Zim or SL shall go to the other group, New Zealand will be least bothered about the same as far as super 8 is concerned. They can make it to semis if they finish among the top 2 in THEIR OWN GROUP, regardless of what happens in Group 1.

In other words the theory that New Zealand's work will get harder should Zim qualify is not tenable.
OK I stand corrected, thought it was super 8's where every team plays each other once (besides who you have already played) and top 4 make semis.