• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals and Final Discussion

Shri

Mr. Glass
awtj re: Afridi.

You need solidity at the start, not a rumble tumble of wickets.
Come on, it doesn't matter how good a player is defensively in the first 6 overs of a T20 game. Maybe in the middle overs but not in the first 6 overs. Afridi can finish a match like this in 4 overs if he plays during the field restrictions. I dont fancy his chances against Murali and Mendis in the middle overs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great recovery from SL. Looked gone at 70/6.

Pleased too 'cos I thought the final was going to fizzle at one point, at least they have a target to bowl at now.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Come on, it doesn't matter how good a player is defensively in the first 6 overs of a T20 game. Maybe in the middle overs but not in the first 6 overs. Afridi can finish a match like this in 4 overs if he plays during the field restrictions. I dont fancy his chances against Murali and Mendis in the middle overs.
This pitch isn't one where slogs will succeed as it is on the slower side more often than not. You don't need huge runs to get. Why lose a wicket when Afridi can play a much more responsible inning later on when required.

Last edited:

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
good enough start from Pakistan
they've to keep wickets in hand
Murli coming to bowl an important over

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Luck not going Lanka's way as skiers are not going to fieldsmen. You feel a wicket is about to fall though. It is inevitable.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If anyone is going to win SL the World Cup, its Murali with the ball IMO.

A lot of talk about Mendis and Malinga, and fair enough as they've been taking the wickets. But Murali is the man IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tbh, this is a better start than if Pakistan were 2-45 with Afridi scoring a quick-fire 15 before going out.

Depending when the first wicket falls, then maybe Afridi is worth a punt at 3. But not yet.

Shri

Mr. Glass
This pitch isn't one where slogs will succeed as it is on the slower side more often than not. You don't need huge runs to get. Why lose a wicket when Afridi can play a much more responsible inning later on when required.
Yeah. That brings me to my previous post. Mis-hits will be common in this pitch when slogging and with the fielders inside the circle, mistimed shots have a good chance of getting to the boundary if it clears the in field. If its done in the final overs, he might get caught at the boundary going for a six.

The batsman also gets time to adjust himself to the pace and turn of the pitch as he comes in to bat sooner.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mendis, get some wickets !!! Some strange decisions in the field, removeing Mathews/Malinga after 1 over each , why ?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
6 overs is finished anyway, so whether Afridi's mis-hits go over the top of the infield or not are pretty irrelevant.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah. That brings me to my previous post. Mis-hits will be common in this pitch when slogging and with the fielders inside the circle, mistimed shots have a good chance of getting to the boundary if it clears the in field. If its done in the final overs, he might get caught at the boundary going for a six.

The batsman also gets time to adjust himself to the pace and turn of the pitch as he comes in to bat sooner.
A wicket lost early would be advantage lost. Notice how Pakistan is on top because they haven't lost a wicket yet. Two quick wickets with Afridi falling early soon after Afridi arrives builds the pressure in a final which Pakistan can do without.