• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Broad's pointing tactics need clarity - Smith

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I used to do this a lot when bowling, particularly when wickets were hard to come by. Before I began my run-up I'd stretch my left arm straight out to the left, or else straight up in the air, and kept it there as I ran in. I'd then give the ball some air and the batsman would go crazy and try to smack it out of the park. It took shedloads of wickets.

In the spirit of the game? Not so sure about that, but that didn't particularly bother me tbh. If the batsman didn't like it he had plenty of time to pull out.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Don't the batsmen switch hands, switch stance etc. when batting?

Isn't that "distracting" the bowler? If that is allowed, what is wrong with something like this?

Smith

Banned

Isn't that "distracting" the bowler? If that is allowed, what is wrong with something like this?
Because by doing switch hit, the batmsna is basically putting himself at great peril. As batting involves around concentration and ideally should lack unwanted movements at the time of delivery of the ball.

Smith

Banned
By going off his action, here the bowler is putting himself at peril too... peril of bowling a stinker...
How? And definitely the stakes are much lower as far as the bowler is concerned. For the batsman, it is basically a wicket losing risk, while for the bowler maximum it might go for a six.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain

Nah, switch-hitting is a tactic to score runs with, not primarily to distract the bowler (although that may occur as a side-effect). There can be no reason for what Broad did other than to deliberately distract the batsman.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
So moving around in the crease when the bowler is running up is fine when you are a batsman is fine, but Broad doing what he did isn't. Broad-bashing seems to be the in thing at the moment.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yep. What he did here was against the rules it seems, so fine. But people are so quick to jump on him and have a go. He's pretty much the heir to my Freddielove throne now just because of all the flak he takes.

Smith

Banned
Yep. What he did here was against the rules it seems, so fine. But people are so quick to jump on him and have a go. He's pretty much the heir to my Freddielove throne now just because of all the flak he takes.
:huh: What's wrong in pointing out that he went against cricket rules?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nothing. But that's not the only thing he gets **** for.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Not sure whether it's a coincidence that he has started getting a load of stick as soon as he has started to bowl very well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, yeah, beforehand people could just criticise his performances but they can't do that anymore

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure whether it's a coincidence that he has started getting a load of stick as soon as he has started to bowl very well.
What i'm wondering is whether it's just a coincidence that his on-field persona has been getting more and more douchebaggish in correlation with his overall standard as a bowler.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Aside from the over-appealing, I don't get what people don't like about him. Is it the pretty boy thing?

He's the kind of guy I want in my team tbh

Smith

Banned
Aside from the over-appealing, I don't get what people don't like about him. Is it the pretty boy thing?

He's the kind of guy I want in my team tbh
Over appealing, princess-act, complaining to umpires when wided (genuinely), unrequited lip service to batsmen, etc etc. He has already got three or four bookings/warnings right? Add to that he's hardly set the world on fire as far his cricketing skills are concerned.

World Cricket

Cricket Spectator
I don't understand all this "broad bashing". If every cricketer for england had his heart we'd be in a lot better situation now. It takes an impressive cricketer who can bounce back from being "bashed" for 6 sixes in an over so early in their career.

What does anybody have against this "future great" of the game???

JBH001

International Regular
Agreed, dont understand it. Probably because I dont have anything against baby faced pretty boys. But then I have been holding a flag for the boy since I saw him on the Eng tour of NZ a couple of years ago. He is a very good prospect with, as the Australians say, a lot of ticker. England could use more players like him.