• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I predict Germany, Ecuador, England, Sweden, Argentina, Netherlands, Portugal, Brazil and Spain to make it. No, really.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I can't wait for Sunday now...

Though this World Cup is torturous for us England fans and will continue to be so, hopefully all the way to Berlin

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sweden were lucky to go in only one down, we were magnificent in the first half

At full-time, mind you, even though they equalised on 89:50 we can consider ourselves lucky not to have been beaten

So yes, you're right. And I was livid last night. But I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside oh yeah, oh yeah, i've got a feeling, a feeling I can't hide, oh no, oh nooooo, and anyway, that feeling is that luck is with us a little bit, even in spite of our injury woes.

Basically my girlfriend is pregnant and my child is gonna be born with England World Champions of Football and Rugby. And maybe we can still have hold of The Ashes too. :)

Blaze

Banned
Basically every english person I hear speak says that they know England are going to win the World Cup... I hope not.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Craig said:
Play like you did last night and it might be another Quarter Finals exit.
Wouldn't be too unhappy with that, assuming we go out to Holland. I predicted quarter's, semi's with some luck. Don't want to lose to the Argies though :@

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
Basically every english person I hear speak says that they know England are going to win the World Cup... I hope not.
Really? Pretty well every one I know (the ones with brains at least) think that the quarters is par for the course, and anything else is a bonus.

As far as 'I hope not' - well up yours too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It is destiny that we will win the World Cup 8-)

But it is reality that we probably won't.

LOL I think whoever we play in the quarters will take some beating

Steulen

International Regular
England should beat Ecuador, but will then probably come up against The Netherlands or Argentina. They would have to play a lot better than they've done so far to stand a chance. Owen's injury may be a blessing in disguise, as he was really poor.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Reckon you'll get past Portugal? Deco aside I've not been too impressed. You'll **** on Mexico if you get them, however you'll probably have to beat the Argies tonight to meet them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blaze said:
Where is this area of unbridled optimism then, since there's a fair number of English people on here, most of whom have never said that?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
They say that every world cup though.

England have a good side, and they are capable of winning it, but they'll have to improve a long way.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:

England have a good side, and they are capable of winning it, but they'll have to improve a long way.
Patriotism is a strange beast, agreed.

Incidentally, there are nine on CW who have tipped England to win it in our poll - more than any other nation. You could argue that they are nearly as daft as the three astute individuals who picked Australia to win it.

Now let's see: who did FaaipDeOiad pick?

:D

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If England had a decent manager then I think without drawing a tough side early that they should make the semis and then anything could happen. With the vegetable I'm expecting a laboured defeat in the quarters.

Basically if it's even vaguely warm or humid we'll get the usual patchy performance and then excuses about the weather in the quarters against Holland/Argies/Portugal..

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Patriotism is a strange beast, agreed.

Incidentally, there are nine on CW who have tipped England to win it in our poll - more than any other nation. You could argue that they are nearly as daft as the three astute individuals who picked Australia to win it.

Now let's see: who did FaaipDeOiad pick?

:D
Indeed, I rate England fairly highly, at least on potential, and I thought they'd be a good chance to win it. Having seen all the teams in action I'm not so sure now, but I still think it's possible. I think Spain could possibly cause a bit of a shock too, they've been very classy so far.

Other than that, obviously Brazil and Argentina are good bets.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FaaipDeOiad said:

England have a good set of players, but a mediocre team. Great players /= great team.