• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
The final was dire, but they beat a very decent Dutch team in the Quarters in a great game of football.

Italy's back four has been great, but they're a very uninspiring team. Adjectives that come to mind are "well organised", "solid" & "defensively sound".
Same with Italy v Germany in this tournament, though - that's the game of the tournament for me. And Italy's 1-0 goal wasn't exactly the result of "good organisation" (though admittedly Germany's defending was very shoddy).

Edit: Another one that comes to mind is Germany 90: GER: Illgner - Reuter, Brehme, Kohler, Augenthaler - Buchwald, Berthold, Matthäus (c), Littbarski - Völler, Klinsmann (78 Riedle)

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
The antics of the Italians after winning and before picking up the Cup were shocking, and disgusting. The World Cup should be treated with respect, not devalued.

If I was the manager, I would order:

1. No hats/scarves/flags when lifting Cup. Match kit only.
2. No kids up there. Didn't happen thistime, but one of my pet hates.
3. No touching Cup before the captain has lifted it.

/My ultra-conservative rant of the day over.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
Same with Italy v Germany in this tournament, though - that's the game of the tournament for me. And Italy's 1-0 goal wasn't exactly the result of "good organisation" (though admittedly Germany's defending was very shoddy).

Edit: Another one that comes to mind is Germany 90: GER: Illgner - Reuter, Brehme, Kohler, Augenthaler - Buchwald, Berthold, Matthäus (c), Littbarski - Völler, Klinsmann (78 Riedle)
Players like Littbarski, Voller & Klinsmann had more creativity than this whole Italian team put together. Even old Lothar hadn't yet regressed to the moribund slouch he later became. They absolutely tore a pre-split Yugoslav team a new one (4-1, IIRC) with the kind of performance I couldn't imagine from yer Eye-talians.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I couldn't bring myself to watch post-shootout. What happened?
Mass jumping around, dancing and general over-emotional Italian melodramatics. Camoranesi had some of his hair cut off, obviously pre-planned. Materazzi put on a giant Italy hat, which he kept wearing when recieving his medal, and also put on top of the World Cup before it was presented. Italians kept kissing and touching Cup before it was presented. Not that it was presented, more rushed up to Cannavaro before it was carried away.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
The antics of the Italians after winning and before picking up the Cup were shocking, and disgusting. The World Cup should be treated with respect, not devalued.

Thankyou for that, George Thatcher.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Players like Littbarski, Voller & Klinsmann had more creativity than this whole Italian team put together. Even old Lothar hadn't yet regressed to the moribund slouch he later became. They absolutely tore a pre-split Yugoslav team a new one (4-1, IIRC) with the kind of performance I couldn't imagine from yer Eye-talians.
Not gonna argue, since I didn't see it, but I've always imagined Germany as the dull winners of the dullest cup in history. (since rivalled by 02).

Still, probably says summat that I can't remember any of Italy's group games, and that they had the benefit of the draw and a nice ref to reach the semis.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
hilarious, but terrible, one of the saddest, stupidest but funniest things i have ever seen, but not in a good way.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
Not gonna argue, since I didn't see it, but I've always imagined Germany as the dull winners of the dullest cup in history. (since rivalled by 02).

Still, probably says summat that I can't remember any of Italy's group games, and that they had the benefit of the draw and a nice ref to reach the semis.
Oh, it was awful, the worst I've seen, but Germany &, indeed, Italy themselves were far better than the current Italian team. Our chaps might've even given them a game, for that matter. :D

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
They're not a bad team. But you tell me a worse one to win the World Cup.
Daniel Passarella aside Argentina's World Cup squad in 1978...

Also rather controversial but there was far better footballers and teams in 1966 than England.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Who got sent off?
Zidane, but that's not the point. You presented him as a hard man, and any hard man I can think of would get up and spark the bald git. Just proved that he's no rock after all. Just a big nancy clod whose challenges are clumsy most of the time and cynical the rest of it.
And it can't have been serious, as as soon as he'd got his breath back and Zidane was sent off, he was running about again.

adharcric

International Coach
We can only wonder what would have happened had Zidane not made that idiotic move. Still, a pretty damn good final gone sour towards the very end I'd say. It was so tough to root against the French this time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TT Boy said:
Daniel Passarella aside Argentina's World Cup squad in 1978...

Also rather controversial but there was far better footballers and teams in 1966 than England.
I dunno enough about the Argentina of '78 to comment, but they were the beneficiaries of a very dodgy game v Peru, complete with their Argentine "born" keeper.

England in 66 tho managed to beat Ratin's Argentina, Eusebio's Portugal & Seeler's West Germany. That'll do for me.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Interesting how when Rooney plays up front on his own with no support it's the manager's fault if he's not effective.

If Henry plays up front on his own with no support it's his fault if he's not effective...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Zidane, but that's not the point. You presented him as a hard man, and any hard man I can think of would get up and spark the bald git. Just proved that he's no rock after all. Just a big nancy clod whose challenges are clumsy most of the time and cynical the rest of it.
And it can't have been serious, as as soon as he'd got his breath back and Zidane was sent off, he was running about again.
People who would do that sort of thing would not play in World Cup finals. Marco did what any other player in football did, milked it does not mean his not hard or is seemingly a Nancy boy because he did not react violently.

You are approaching this from the wrong perspective, I take it you are a Rugby man, naturally a sport which is far more tough and brutal but football isn’t and there is no place for what Zidane did.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I dunno enough about the Argentina of '78 to comment, but they were the beneficiaries of a very dodgy game v Peru, complete with their Argentine "born" keeper.

England in 66 tho managed to beat Ratin's Argentina, Eusebio's Portugal & Seeler's West Germany. That'll do for me.
For sure but there was more than a few strokes of luck for England, the 'ground change' which meant Portugal spent most of the night on a bus. Some awful officiating in the Argentina game and a goal which never was.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:

:laugh: