• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I hate penalty shootouts. Utterly pointless.

Anyway, I thought the second half was generally pretty decent, but it didn't really live up to expectations as a match. Hopefully England and Portugal can put on a dece... no wait... maybe Brazil and Franc... hmm. Might have to wait until the semis.
I hate penalties in general. They ruin the game. It's ridiculous that you can get such an easy chance to score when in many cases there was nothing on for the attacking team anyway. They encourage diving as well.

The only time there is cause for a penalty IMO is when a true goalscoring opportunity is prevented.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Argentinans were unlucky to lose , and only the host nation advantage helped the Germans through this one, IMO.

IMO , Argentina has been the most unluckiest losers in the World Cup so far .

The Germans will go all the way to the final and Milk the host nation advantage to win the World Cup Final as well !! :ph34r:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Uggly fighting after the German v Argentina game with few Argentinians and Germans exchanging punches and a red card shown to a non playing Argentinian reserve !!
It involved Germany's Schweinsteiger and quite a few Argentinians.

BTW Did any one see Podolski's Nazi style raised hand after his successful Penalty- kick ?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
God, it's pretty ordinary fayre to serve up for the quarters, isn't it? Italy are never a team to quicken the pulse, but the Ukraine proved themselves the living embodiment of Thomas Stearns's vision of the world's end: "not with a bang, but with a whimper".
I prefer John Cooper Clarke's version:

"or you can dine and whine on stuff that's bound to give you boils
hot dogs direct from Cruft's
done in diesel oil
or the burger joint around the bend
where the meals thank christ are skimpy
for you that's how the world could end
not with a bang but a Wimpy.
"

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
Argentinans were unlucky to lose , and only the host nation advantage helped the Germans through this one, IMO.
I think the Argentinian coach making stupid substitutions might have had a part to play.

To be honest, Germany looked much more likely to score in ET from where I was sitting, and it wasn't host advantage that won it.

JASON said:
IMO , Argentina has been the most unluckiest losers in the World Cup so far .
Cast you mind back 5 days - regardless of opinions (and I do think it was a penalty, just not one that would be given very often), there's a country down under who were more unlucky.

JASON said:
The Germans will go all the way to the final and Milk the host nation advantage to win the World Cup Final as well !! :ph34r:
And of course that's never happened before?

Craig

World Traveller
Well done Luca Toni - a season he has had in Serie A it was only a matter of time.

That is all.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jason why are you acting like the Germans are villains who are cheating by having their home fans cheering them? Ridiculous.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Uggly fighting after the German v Argentina game with few Argentinians and Germans exchanging punches and a red card shown to a non playing Argentinian reserve !!
It involved Germany's Schweinsteiger and quite a few Argentinians.

BTW Did any one see Podolski's Nazi style raised hand after his successful Penalty- kick ?
yer i seen that!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Goughy said:
Thats not fighting that just handbags. The same level of fighting skill they showed in las Malvinas.

Ha, Im so happy they are out.
And the difference between that compared to other 'fights' in soccer? Considering players go down for a love tap on the shin, that was a no holds barred street fight.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Well done Luca Toni - a season he has had in Serie A it was only a matter of time.

That is all.
yea he along with Lampard where the two men with good goal-scoring reputation of recent who were just no finding the target, today it Lampards turn..

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Beckham a big juicy pile of steaming poo yet again, completely kills any attacking momentum because he won't use his left foot and his delivery is typically poor. As for the team display, what another triumph for 4-5-1 and England's midfielders are repeatedly coming back on top of the defence.

I'd have thought Sven if anyone would be familiar with the KISS principle.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Extra time. Must win game. One substitution left. Tired opposition. I have never ever ever advocated Walcott coming or playing in any game at any point, I am now.

Edit: And no. It's not because I want England to lose.

Last edited: