• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players of the tournament

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
One person not likely to figure in 'player of the tournament' polls (at least following his opening performance) is Ronaldo.

Interesting WC fact No 1:
Pele's real name is Edson Orantes di Nascimento.

Interesting WC fact No 2:
Ronaldo's real name is Ousette Alda-Paez.

Craig

World Traveller
Digging this thread up, but I think Fabio Grosso will be remembered a lot for the good and bad reasons.

Any others?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Lucas Neill!
Indeed. Neill was without doubt the biggest surprise packet of the WC, and would make the team of the tournament at the end of it for mine. Didn't put a foot wrong in any of the matches, aside from that one moment where he... put a foot wrong.

I'd say Riquelme was probably the most consistently dangerous player in the WC in the games he played, and Pirlo would be close behind. There are also others who had one really wonderful performance, like Fabregas against Tunisia, Rosicky against the USA, Hislop against Sweden and Hargreaves against Portugal.

Will be an interesting team to select at the end of it, anyway.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd say Riquelme was probably the most consistently dangerous player in the WC in the games he played, and Pirlo would be close behind. There are also others who had one really wonderful performance, like Fabregas against Tunisia, Rosicky against the USA, Hislop against Sweden and Hargreaves against Portugal.

Will be an interesting team to select at the end of it, anyway.
Riquelme? :laugh: He's soooo last week, man. Get with the times.

Harsh on Hargreaves to say he's only had the one performance too. He was wonderful against Sweden & did admirably well out of postion v Ecuador too. England's player of the tournament by absolute streets.

Have to say the most consistently influential player has been Cannavaro for mine. Frings has been superb too, yer Jerries really missed him in the middle of the park yesterday.

He started slowly, but Zidane seems to be treating us to a glorious final flowering of his genius too. France v Italy, Cannavaro v Zidane, could be a fitting climax. Let's just hope the sardine-munchers don't lob a cynical spanner in the works.

cricketboy29

International Regular
Cannavaro, I thought Australia's Cahill looked in pretty good touch. Miroslav Klose has looked pretty damn good so far in the tournament. But Zidane has really shown his true class.

Cloete

International Captain
Yeah Cannavaro's been sensational. Shame Nesta got injured as I've always wondered to myself who's the better of the two. Cannavaro defender of the tournament. I'd still probably have a spot for Neill though.

I'm going to claim a bit of credit here and say I told you so to the English who are surprised by Owen! Think he deserves a good mention.

Pirlo has been in excellent form and Grosso (:@) has been good/very good.

If France win in the final it's Zidane player of the tournament for mine. I really hope France win it now on the back of an inspirational performance from Zizou as i twould certainly be a fitting way for a great (I think he will be remembered as) player. I also think he's overshadowed his great mate Platini throughout his career (if there was ever any doubt).

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Phillip Lahm is up there, maybe finished off a bit slowly but he was awesome earlier in the tournament possibly also Zidane...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
he didnt really feature all that much though, i would say cannavaro, lahm, pirlo would all have to be considered, along with zidane, despite his rather stupid display this evening.