• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Right people - tabloid stings, broken feet, oversized strikers, too many centre-backs, and Owen Hargreaves. Discuss.

Cloete

International Captain
:laugh:

That's all that need's to be said about Sven being caught! :laugh:

Would have been funny if they could have got him to call Becks as well :laugh:

Otherwise, great team. I have a feeling they'll choke though, they always do. However with the quality of players they have it "shouldn't" happen!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
On paper, they seem to have the best collection of players since, oooooh, when I were a lad and obviously everything was better then than it is now - just look how long you have to wait for a bus now and what about the price of things in the shops. For instance, only the other day I wanted a quarter of those shrimp sweet things and those candy bananas we had when I was a boy. I gave the girl behind the counter a shilling and she looked at me down her nose the kids nowadays they have absolutely no respect for the elderly. I think they ought to pick that Jimmy Greaves again - it was unfortunate how he got injured in the last World Cup but that West Ham player Hurst, he did well. Got three in the final against the Bosche - ha! That'll teach them for scaring my sister Emily when that Hindenburg flew over. Mister Ramsey, I'm sure, will have everyone ready but I think Brazil will take some stopping. Someone said the other day that they thought that.... I'm sorry, what was the question again?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Cloete said:

That's all that need's to be said about Sven being caught! :laugh:

Would have been funny if they could have got him to call Becks as well :laugh:

Otherwise, great team. I have a feeling they'll choke though, they always do. However with the quality of players they have it "shouldn't" happen!
I just can't help myself but point out the sheer hilarity of the fact that you've put an apostrophe in "needs".

Faith in UK education rising.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I still can't believe how many average muppet football zealots (I think we need a universal abbreviation to use on cricketweb for this subrace, all suggestions welcomed) are going on about how News of the World's sting is such a destablizing influence on England's preparations for the World Cup... what preparations?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
I still can't believe how many average muppet football zealots (I think we need a universal abbreviation to use on cricketweb for this subrace, all suggestions welcomed) are going on about how News of the World's sting is such a destablizing influence on England's preparations for the World Cup... what preparations?
When I switched on Sky News earlier they went live to some school where Sven and his tart were doing something or other for Football for Unity - I had to chuckle at all the hacks who had made their way over there hoping for sound byte over Sunday's 'revelations' - and of course they were all totally ignored.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
On paper, they seem to have the best collection of players since, oooooh, when I were a lad and obviously everything was better then than it is now - just look how long you have to wait for a bus now and what about the price of things in the shops. For instance, only the other day I wanted a quarter of those shrimp sweet things and those candy bananas we had when I was a boy. I gave the girl behind the counter a shilling and she looked at me down her nose the kids nowadays they have absolutely no respect for the elderly. I think they ought to pick that Jimmy Greaves again - it was unfortunate how he got injured in the last World Cup but that West Ham player Hurst, he did well. Got three in the final against the Bosche - ha! That'll teach them for scaring my sister Emily when that Hindenburg flew over. Mister Ramsey, I'm sure, will have everyone ready but I think Brazil will take some stopping. Someone said the other day that they thought that.... I'm sorry, what was the question again?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
hahaha, nice eddie

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Erm, the last 2-3 years?

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
Brilliant :laugh:

LE at your best.

Scaly piscine

marc71178 said:
Erm, the last 2-3 years?
I was referring to the preparations 'now' whilst all the players are busy playing club football...

Obviously the effect of the vegetable's latest horlicks doesn't destabilize the training session etc. they were at 2 years ago, so not really relevant.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I can't see how Sven can stay now to be honest. Whether the fake sheikh was entirely within the spirit of things or not, if you go around slagging off your own players, you've got to go.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
I can't see how Sven can stay now to be honest. Whether the fake sheikh was entirely within the spirit of things or not, if you go around slagging off your own players, you've got to go.
He'll go immediately after the World Cup - and for the last year, that's always going to have been the case.

To try to appoint a new manager now would be absolutely bonkers.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
He'll go immediately after the World Cup - and for the last year, that's always going to have been the case.

Agreed that to appoint a new manager now would be bonkers, but I had previously had a feeling that he might stay (I hoped he wouldn't).

However, due to his latest screw up, I now don't see it at all.

Matteh

Tom Halsey said:
Agreed that to appoint a new manager now would be bonkers, but I had previously had a feeling that he might stay (I hoped he wouldn't).

However, due to his latest screw up, I now don't see it at all.
He's been wanting to manage a club again for the last year...

Scaly piscine

luckyeddie said:

Not really, England need Rooney to play like a god to have any sort of chance under the vegetable. The chances frankly go up if you randomly replace him with any manager from in the English league. The vegetable has already shown he's not up to it, at least we don't know yet which other managers in the English league aren't up to it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Matteh said:
He's been wanting to manage a club again for the last year...
There's been reports of it for way, way over a year. Has he left yet? No.

As I said, I doubt the FA'll poke up with him after thw World CUp though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Not really, England need Rooney to play like a god to have any sort of chance under the vegetable. The chances frankly go up if you randomly replace him with any manager from in the English league. The vegetable has already shown he's not up to it, at least we don't know yet which other managers in the English league aren't up to it.
Pure and utter rubbish.

Scaly piscine

marc71178 said:
Pure and utter rubbish.
What happened in the last 2 tournaments? Brazil are better than they were 4 years ago and England won't get teams even as bad as Portugal to knock themselves out against. If England do anything it will be in spite of the vegetable.