• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
3-5-2 would only work with 3 centre halves, and Neville isn't good enough for the RWB spot IMO.
oh yes your right,its 3 centre halves i was viewing it differently in my mind just now. But still lets say in the next couple of years or the next WC couldn't the team work with 3 centre halves at the back, with options around Terry, Cole, Ferdinand, King, Brown etc? Since i really think that formation could make England look very strong in future with the amount of talent in the sqaud in mid-filed & defense.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cole? Brown? King?

Could just about get away with Terry and Carragher flanking Rio - at least covers for his lapses.

But still don't have a RWB as Comrade Gary isn't the right sort of player.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
what about 2 wide attacking midfielders and then either:
x-x-x across the middle
or
x-x
x

Just pointing out more options with the placement of players in the 3-5-2 system.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Cole? Brown? King?

Could just about get away with Terry and Carragher flanking Rio - at least covers for his lapses.

But still don't have a RWB as Comrade Gary isn't the right sort of player.
In the future with Brown & King along with Ferdinand, Carragher & Terry would be options as central defenders since Campbell is likely to decline sinc ehe is already 32, plus even though Cole generally plays on the left he just looks a natural defender and i think he could adapt to playing as a centre half:

With Neville i'm not talking currently i'm more looking at the future with him likely to lose his place in the next 2 years & the mid-field having so much talent probably Young or Carragher playing the RWB position:

This is the kind of line-up i was thinking about for the 3-5-2 system that England could have in the next 2 years to the 2010 WC.

-----------------Young--------------------------Terry-----------------------------------A Cole------------------------

----------------------------------------------------Carrick--------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------Gerrard------------------------------------------------------------------Downing------------------------

-------------------------------------Lampard------------------------J Cole------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------Owen------------------------------Rooney---------------------------------------------

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Really would be better to have Gerrard in the middle though with either Lennon or Cole on the wing. Also, Carragher would be a better fit for this system.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Aussie is trying to sort out the midfield mess that is England - trying to get the right balance.
Personally i'm advocating the 4-5-1 system with a Rooneyless England

DJellett

International Debutant
Despite his obvious skill, why is their such a beat up with England needing to change their entire plans after Rooney's injury? Surely there is an appropriate replacement...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Matteh said:
what about 2 wide attacking midfielders and then either:
x-x-x across the middle
or
x-x
x

Just pointing out more options with the placement of players in the 3-5-2 system.
That leaves the flanks very exposed to opposition wingers - if you play 3 at the back you need wing backs really.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
even though Cole generally plays on the left he just looks a natural defender and i think he could adapt to playing as a centre half:
One thing he doesn't look is a natural defender.

There are plenty of better left sided defenders in the world IMO, even England have 1.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
DJellett said:
Despite his obvious skill, why is their such a beat up with England needing to change their entire plans after Rooney's injury? Surely there is an appropriate replacement...
In all honesty there's probably only 2 other players in the world who could replace him - but one's French and one's Brazilian.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
DJellett said:
Not really, or at least not one with even vaguely comparable ability. He's the one England player that absolutely every other manager coverts.

As for the sans-Rooney XI I have a suspicion that we might see a return to the much-missed "Christmas tree" (4-3-2-1) formation we're all such fans of!

----------------------------------------------Robinson---------------------------------------------------

G Neville-----------------------Terry------------------------Ferdinand--------------------A Cole

Beckham-----------------------------------Carrick------------------------------------------Gerrard

----------------------------------------Lampard--------------J Cole-------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------Owen--------------------------------------------------------

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
roseboy64 said:
Really would be better to have Gerrard in the middle though with either Lennon or Cole on the wing. Also, Carragher would be a better fit for this system.
well i put Gerrard on the left with the idea if that happens the problems that he & Lampard tends to have would stop, but really if they both do play in the middle having Lennon on the right Cole or Downing on the left looks much stronger.

Carragher presently may be the best fit as a RWB in this system but we never know how Young could go in a couple years.

Also i hope between now & the next WC England could get another good enough striker since the gap between Owen, Rooney & the rest is really shocking

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
One thing he doesn't look is a natural defender.

There are plenty of better left sided defenders in the world IMO, even England have 1.
well i think he does, he has pace to topple defenders & get England out of trouble quickly, he is good enough in the air & tackles well, he may not be superb defensively but its good enough from what i've seen, so for me i dont think he would make a bad option as a left sided defender for England in a 3-5-2 system.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
well i put Gerrard on the left with the idea if that happens the problems that he & Lampard tends to have would stop, but really if they both do play in the middle having Lennon on the right Cole or Downing on the left looks much stronger.
I'd have thought you'd need stronger defensive players if you've got those 2 in the middle, not weaker!

aussie said:
Carragher presently may be the best fit as a RWB in this system but we never know how Young could go in a couple years.
Carragher is most definitely not a RWB at all, and I can't see that Young will develop into one.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
well i think he does, he has pace to topple defenders & get England out of trouble quickly, he is good enough in the air & tackles well, he may not be superb defensively but its good enough from what i've seen, so for me i dont think he would make a bad option as a left sided defender for England in a 3-5-2 system.
Except you then lose his main asset, going forward.