• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon Taylor first world cup Kolpak to sign for County cricket,Who's next.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Is there any actual confirmation that he's doing so as a Kolpak, or I this your usual speculation driven by that bloody "England steals everyone" narrative you push every five seconds?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there any actual confirmation that he's doing so as a Kolpak, or I this your usual speculation driven by that bloody "England steals everyone" narrative you push every five seconds?
BBC suggests he is...and I think Nottinghamshire has an overseas player for 2015 signed already.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He has signed as a Kolpak player but as it's a short-term contract he could be returning to international cricket right after it's over (think Rudolph, but over a much shorter timeframe). I don't think Zimbabwe actually have anything on during that period anyway; this is Loophole City.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He has signed as a Kolpak player but as it's a short-term thing he'll be returning to international cricket right after it's over (think Rudolph, but over a much shorter timeframe). I don't think Zimbabwe actually have anything on during that period anyway; this is Loophole City.
Excellent! A free for all on bargain basement Zimbabweans! Sign Sean Williams, get Craig Williams for free!!!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Excellent! A free for all on bargain basement Zimbabweans! Sign Sean Williams, get Craig Williams for free!!!
BBC have straight up reported he's retired from international cricket so my info may not be accurate, but if you consider the fact that he's only signed on for one season, the fact that's "subject to ECB approval" and Notts will "discuss specific arrangements" after the World Cup, it does tend to suggest something more devious, which backs up what I've heard.

Williams, Taylor and Masakadza all playing on Kolpak deals for one season and then pissing off back home to play Tests and ODIs after it's over would be pretty amazing though. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

It's a shame that all of these players on Kolpak deals have to forsake their country to earn a county contract. I can see the vested interest need for the ECB to limit foreign players, but I can't help but think there's a better way to manage it than this.

You can't tell me that Taylor, Williams, Masakadza and others* won't improve the standard in county cricket.

* - Stuart Matsikenyeri not found

Rotkohl

Cricket Spectator
It's a shame that all of these players on Kolpak deals have to forsake their country to earn a county contract. I can see the vested interest need for the ECB to limit foreign players, but I can't help but think there's a better way to manage it than this.

You can't tell me that Taylor, Williams, Masakadza and others* won't improve the standard in county cricket.

* - Stuart Matsikenyeri not found
Can anyone tell me if its an ICC rule or an ECB rule that prevents Taylor from concurrently playing as a kolpak and internationals for zimbabwe? I had always assumed the icc prevented players from full member nations playing as a domestic in one country and representing another one internationally. No such restrictions for associates, so c00ps can represent the netherlands and yet play as a local in australia or england

If my understanding is correct perhaps a rule change is in order because the international game will be poorer if we dont see the likes of taylor and williams again. If its an ECB thing then its up to them I guess, their house their rules

brockley

International Captain
Its because of the deal offered by the ZCU nothing comapared you get in County same as state cricketers nothing compared to County cricketers,that said Taylor was about the best paid,if he left i am sure their will be others.
World cup is over time for players to cash in on their retirement packages,i expect a few Windies to follow.

Chubb

International Regular
Says a lot for Brendan's character that he stayed in Zimbabwe as long as he did. He became a dad recently so he obviously wants security. And should it be a short term deal as suggested that is actually a good thing for Zim cricket, isn't it? If I were Leicestershire, say, I would take a good look at Sean Williams too.

Riggins

International Captain
He has signed as a Kolpak player but as it's a short-term contract he could be returning to international cricket right after it's over (think Rudolph, but over a much shorter timeframe). I don't think Zimbabwe actually have anything on during that period anyway; this is Loophole City.
Why is this devious? I don't really know the rules.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why is this devious? I don't really know the rules.
The rules are designed to stop someone playing as a national of two countries at once, but if a player signed a series of a short-term deals he could theoretically get around that, and I've heard that's what this deal is aimed at.

Taylor signs for Notts, plays the season as a Kolpak, then he's off contract again, plays for Zimbabwe.. and then he might sign another one-season deal again for Notts right before the following season starts. I'm sure the authorities would do something if a player really took the piss with it, but I think that's what they're going for. It wouldn't surprise me if he just straight up retired from internationals instead though.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
One step further IMO -- sign multiple contracts for the single year's season, with individual deals between each international fixture they could potentially play :p

"I'm English from April 1 to June 26, then Zimbabwean for June 27 for the ODI. English from the 28th to the 1st of July, Zimbabwean for the 2nd for the second ODI" kind of thing.

Would be absolutely hilarious IMO.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
It's the perfect crime by the ECB.

1. Reduce allowed overseas players in county cricket to 1 per county.
2. Leave a cynical gap in the local player rules. Enforce strict rules which encourages counties to 'naturalise' foreign international cricketers.
3. Form part of Big 3 to extort ICC money from other members.
4. Other ICC members have less money to retain their players.
6. ECB money distributed to counties.
7. Counties have even more money to 'naturalise' overseas players with the very same money extorted from those players' home boards.

Criminal masterminds.

HeathDavisSpeed

As an aside, we have the JonBrooks Chucking Masterthread, can we have a Brockley Kolpak Conspiracies Masterthread too. At the very least it would avoid such catastrophic thread naming.

brockley

International Captain
Nah Leicestershire has signed Cosgrove and Clinton Mckay,not likely to sign anyone else unless an ex county no name.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's the perfect crime by the ECB.

1. Reduce allowed overseas players in county cricket to 1 per county.
2. Leave a cynical gap in the local player rules. Enforce strict rules which encourages counties to 'naturalise' foreign international cricketers.
3. Form part of Big 3 to extort ICC money from other members.
4. Other ICC members have less money to retain their players.
6. ECB money distributed to counties.
7. Counties have even more money to 'naturalise' overseas players with the very same money extorted from those players' home boards.

Criminal masterminds.
Kolpak rules have nothing to do with the ECB.