• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

38th Match - Afghanistan v England (13th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 38th Match of the World Cup between Afghanistan and England (Sydney Cricket Ground).

andmark

International Captain
Easy win imo :ph34r:

Nah, England will actually be desperate win this. Can't see them slipping up, but of course, that was said a couple of days ago.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Worst possible fixture this for England given the situation IMO...........nothing good can come of it (for us)

If we win (and no disrespect intended to the Afghans at all) then it doesn't mean squat and there is no pride that can be salvaged. Yet Afghanistan are good enough to take down a broken and shot England side........and I dare say a win will mean a lot more to them so they may very well want it more.

Would have much preferred this game to be against a top 4 side. We lose......big woop, no surprise at all. But a win would at least state that Ok we've played **** and we're going home early, but we're a better side than that.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Worst possible fixture this for England given the situation IMO...........nothing good can come of it (for us)

If we win (and no disrespect intended to the Afghans at all) then it doesn't mean squat and there is no pride that can be salvaged. Yet Afghanistan are good enough to take down a broken and shot England side........and I dare say a win will mean a lot more to them so they may very well want it more.

Would have much preferred this game to be against a top 4 side. We lose......big woop, no surprise at all. But a win would at least state that Ok we've played **** and we're going home early, but we're a better side than that.
tbh mate, irrespective of who England are playing, the result will be irrelevant and all that will be said is that England didnt turn up when it mattered..I am sure England will win this and hopefully restore some confidence in the players for the next series..

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson to come in and take a 5-fer to inflate his ODI stats and English players to go on about how he's "quality".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
? Why? Even if & when England win, no can argue that in order to be amongst the top teams in ODI cricket, England need to make changes(both in personnel and thinking)
Because a win would be of no consequence to us so we might as well put Afghanistan over on the way out. The rub will be huge for them.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Because a win would be of no consequence to us so we might as well put Afghanistan over on the way out. The rub will be huge for them.
I can see your point but wouldnt it be better to think about England's recovery and the fact that the journey towards the '19 tournament at home begins now for England. I know that sounds a bit cheesy but in terms of pyschological scarring, England need to banish the gremlins asap IMHO

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The winner of this game mighr be the only team that wins their final game of the tournament.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Anderson to come in and take a 5-fer to inflate his ODI stats and English players to go on about how he's "quality".
this is like an english fan ridiculing mcgrath.

tell virat and sachin that jimmy says hi.

wtr to the game, bell to score a hundred at a 75 s/r and secure his place for the 2019 world cup.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I can't see England losing but if they did how many ranking points would they lose? In 6th at the moment, but could start falling further (especially in May when rankings are recalibrated and old results omitted. I think, however, that Sri Lanka and Pakistan may fall away in the next couple of years as key players retire

Spark

Global Moderator
this is like an english fan ridiculing mcgrath.

tell virat and sachin that jimmy says hi.

wtr to the game, bell to score a hundred at a 75 s/r and secure his place for the 2019 world cup.
except that mcgrath was actually good in WCs

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't see England losing but if they did how many ranking points would they lose? In 6th at the moment, but could start falling further (especially in May when rankings are recalibrated and old results omitted. I think, however, that Sri Lanka and Pakistan may fall away in the next couple of years as key players retire
I dunno exactly how many points they would lose, but any time you lose to a team that is 40 points adrift from you lose considerable points. So yes if Afghanistan were to beat England they would take more of a hit than losing to most other nations.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
It is interesting how fortunes have changed after the Aus, Ind and Eng tri-series. Ind couldn't win a game and Eng, aside from games against Aus, looked rusty, but otherwise in reasonable form. Now you have the pool stage of the WC almost over and India is unbeaten, while England are going home.