• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 2 - India v Australia

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I get the feeling they're playing possum with him. But if it is actually true that will suck major balls.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think people are confusing Sehwag the ODI player and Sehwag the test player. Sehwag in ODIs is quite ordinary really. Nothing special

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think people are confusing Sehwag the ODI player and Sehwag the test player. Sehwag in ODIs is quite ordinary really. Nothing special
Not in the last 2 years, where he has been among the best in the business.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Sehwag was a **** ODI player for yonks, and then suddenly came good after his recall in both forms of the game.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah he's been stellar of late. And is obviously in ominous, ominous form in this WC. He's not really been particularly good against us (averages about 20 IIRC) but he's such a dangerous player that it would be a massive boost for us if he wasn't there.

pup11

International Coach
I get the feeling they're playing possum with him. But if it is actually true that will suck major balls.
Why would they do that, its not as if Australia are gonna be up against Sehwag for the first time. I'm still pretty sure he would play but don't think he would be anywhere close to being fully fit.

Also don't agree with the fact that Sehwag isn't a good ODI player, in fact if you look at this worldcup he has made good attacks duck for cover and more or less has provided India with great quick starts which also helps in taking some pressure of SRT.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's also a lock to bet on the first ball of the Indian innings to be a four.

Spot fixing? :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why would they do that, its not as if Australia are gonna be up against Sehwag for the first time. I'm still pretty sure he would play but don't think he would be anywhere close to being fully fit.
Because if you confirm Sehwag will be playing the Australian team won't bother preparing for how they will bowl to Raina (although you'd imagine it'll be short, but still). They also won't prepare for Gambhir facing the first ball of the match.

It's the small things that count. Yes they've faced Sehwag before. But how often has Tait bowled to Sehwag?

Spark

Global Moderator
TBH this news has come too late to really affect their preparation. I can see where you're coming from but it'd be pretty useless from a tactical standpoint.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Sehwag was a **** ODI player for yonks, and then suddenly came good after his recall in both forms of the game.
His ODI averages in 2008, '09, and '10 are 49.6, 45 and 40.5, all at a 100+ SR. WAFG! Still remember Chappell was strongly championing his cause when we were opening with the likes of Jaffer in Australia in '07-'08, what a difference he has made since his comeback.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yes IMO that is Chappell's best call.

I remember arguing furiously to my mate on Day 1 of the Boxing Day test in 07/08 that Sehwag should not be playing, but my mate was saying "You need Sehwag to set the tone!" I was saying "we won in England without him!"

Well happy to be wrong on this one. Sehwag came back better than ever!

Important to remember Sehwag didn't even play in the tri-series finals vs. Australia in that tour as well. They played Uthappa ahead of him.

pup11

International Coach
From an Australian POV the only down side of Raina coming in for Sehwag is that Dhoni then has another spinner in his ranks... :ph34r:

smash84

The Tiger King
His ODI averages in 2008, '09, and '10 are 49.6, 45 and 40.5, all at a 100+ SR. WAFG! Still remember Chappell was strongly championing his cause when we were opening with the likes of Jaffer in Australia in '07-'08, what a difference he has made since his comeback.
wow.....didn't know about that..........well his average seems to be dropping 4.5 runs every year since 08 :).........i wonder if it will be 36 in 2011

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Averaging 36 with a SR of over 100 will still be very very good. Look at Gilchrist's ODI record for proof of that.

smash84

The Tiger King
Averaging 36 with a SR of over 100 will still be very very good. Look at Gilchrist's ODI record for proof of that.
I am not saying that is not good. Just that the standards he has set in tests are just too good. His ODI record pales in comparison.

Although the year 2008 with an average of 49.5 in ODI is awesome. As VCS points out it is 65 this year. that is bloody awesome by any standards