• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarters/Semis/Final General Discussion

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dude Imran wasn't even playing in the beginning of the cup due to injury especially in that horrid 10 wicket loss to WI and also that match against England where Pakistan were 74 all out and rain came to the rescue. Pakistan's performance picked up after he was back as captain. SA match was lost because of rain otherwise Pak were coasting. The India loss was a genuine one though. So he does deserve credit for not "taking them to the brink of elimination".

I must commend you for some wonderful writing here BUT I must make a few things clear. Firstly I am not judging Afridi on his batting alone. His bowling has been good against minnows and in one match against SL otherwise Afridi is no Wasim Akram. Even at the end of Imran's career I would take Imran over Afridi as a bowler. Afridi is now getting in his mid 30s. He is fast becoming a father-age figure but I doubt he will ever become a father figure to most players even if he plays until he is 50.

And pal this is no excuse "The man has played this way for his entire career.It's the only way he knows". Imran was a very carefree kind of cricketer, quite flamboyant before he became captain. Tells you a lot about the responsibility that he as willing to shoulder. Can't say the same Afridi. I like the guy, I really do but comparing him with Imran is a bit over the top IMO. Heck even Wasim before the match fixing scandal was a better captain than Afridi is. Though I must say that Wasim used the same style of leadership as Imran.
OK, wasn't aware of that. Scratch what I said then. :)

smash84

The Tiger King
OK, wasn't aware of that. Scratch what I said then. :)
Of course :)

Incidentally for those who doubt Imran's leadership

http://search.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/video_audio/502239.html?genre=45

http://search.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/video_audio/485299.html?genre=40

http://search.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/video_audio/282529.html?genre=14

All of these feature Imran's captaincy heavily.

And of course one of my all time favorite captaincy speeches at the toss. Imran in his final match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4PmrNy19dk

Last edited:

Stapel

International Regular
So India to beat Australia, Sri Lanka to beat England, Pakistan to beat West Indies and South Africa to beat New Zealand is how i see it.
I agree!
However, neither of those matches are more than 70-30, or even 60-40. Whatever happens, nothing will be considered an upsetting surprise.

BeeGee

International Captain
So India to beat Australia, Sri Lanka to beat England, Pakistan to beat West Indies and South Africa to beat New Zealand is how i see it
AWTA.

I agree!
However, neither of those matches are more than 70-30, or even 60-40. Whatever happens, nothing will be considered an upsetting surprise.
On paper the biggest mismatch is NZ v SA. If NZ won it would be an upset, but not a huge one.
All the teams in the QFs have had both highs and lows this tournament.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
I agree!
yep thats right and i really hope we do not get to see any team getting bundled out or crushed by the other

a little fight is always a treat for the eyes

qarishahg

Cricket Spectator
Another subcontinent team should win this WC, just like 96.

Australia could hit back after the last defeat but this maybe the beginning of their fall.

The Windies are abit underated, though understandbly but there is some ruthless talent in that team and i am a bit nervous for paksitan come wednesday although they should win that match. if gayle or pollarrd get goin pak will have alot of catching up batting to do!

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's time for any final without Australia ffs. It's been 19 years.

Only sides left in it who haven't been in a final are SA and New Zealand. Betting on a South Africa - Pakistan final myself.

Blaze 18

Banned
Predictions :

Pakistan vs West Indies : Pakistan
Australia vs India : India
New Zealand vs South Africa : South Africa
Sri Lanka vs England : Sri Lanka

India vs Pakistan : India
South Africa vs Sri Lanka : Sri Lanka

Final : India vs Sri Lanka

smash84

The Tiger King
Predictions :

Pakistan vs West Indies : Pakistan
Australia vs India : India
New Zealand vs South Africa : South Africa
Sri Lanka vs England : Sri Lanka

India vs Pakistan : India
South Africa vs Sri Lanka : Sri Lanka

Final : India vs Sri Lanka
and who will win the final according to you?