• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 36 - England v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woodster

International Captain
Can't see how it's not. Both cases are batsmen playing their normal game, regardless of circumstance. Being a top class batsman isn't about playing your game every single time. It's about knowing when to adapt your game to circumstance.
Morgan was attempting to hit the ball into an area that was not well guarded by fielders, didn't execute it well and it flicked the glove and went to the keeper. Had Gayle picked out long off it would pay scant regard to the field that was set.

I agree you have to be flexible with your game, but imo, that does not involve removing a generally risk free shot from your repertoire. As there are very few players in world cricket that play that shot as well as Morgan it's perceived as a high risk shot. Today it let him down, many other days it won't regardless of the situation of the game he plays it in. In hindsight, because he was out, you cam say ill-judged stroke, had he got the impetus going back England's way, a different story. Fine margins.

Keeno

Cricket Spectator
Can't tell if you honestly believe that this is how cricket works, in practice, or if you're trolling...

I'll tell you how cricket works... you have to score more than your opponents.. ie the highest score wins.. you get 4 or 6 for a boundary, you know like all the other nations who keep winning do, or you can try little fairy shots that score you one or two.. it's not rocket science.. Can you see why we are in trouble now?

Spark

Global Moderator
WI have fallen asleep, it would seem. Four wickets won't just take themselves, you know.

(Unless you try and hit a six every ball of course)

Woodster

International Captain
Yes because our philosophy is so tried and tested and works everytime.
It's the philosophy top sides follow tbf. I do however quesion whether trying to hit fours and sixes every ball is going to be too successful.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Morgan was attempting to hit the ball into an area that was not well guarded by fielders, didn't execute it well and it flicked the glove and went to the keeper. Had Gayle picked out long off it would pay scant regard to the field that was set.
Not if Gayle was trying to hit the ball to long-on.

At any rate, there's an argument that attempting that shot to that particular ball was always likely to give the wicketkeeper a chance.

And that said, we've agreed to disagree. :p

Last edited:

Keeno

Cricket Spectator
It's the philosophy top sides follow tbf. I do however quesion whether trying to hit fours and sixes every ball is going to be too successful.

Well then I must be wrong, England have got it spot on with their tactics, thats why we are top of the group and are strong favourites to win it..::wacko:

Woodster

International Captain
Not if Gayle was trying to hit the ball to long-off.

At any rate, there's an argument that attempting that shot to that particular ball was always likely to give the wicketkeeper a chance.

And that said, we've agreed to disagree. :p
Agreed :laugh: