Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: Need for squads

  1. #1
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157

    Icon2 Need for squads

    Evening, maggots.


    Is there a specific, overriding need to have such tough rules and regulations around World Cup squads?

    For mine, the only real reason why there should be a set squad limit is because it may give the host nation an advantage.

    In the current climate of flavoured pie, high tech gizmos such as Atari 64's and freely available travel via air, surely this advantage that the host nation may enjoy is marginalised.

    Why can't we throw it open... that way the best country wins, and we don't end up with a Hussey situation where the team had to wait on an injury to get their top XI due to selection incompetence.






















    PS. Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks .
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,455
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Why can't we throw it open... that way the best country wins, and we don't end up with a Hussey situation where the team had to wait on an injury to get their top XI due to selection incompetence.
    Once the tournament starts you shouldn't be allowed to call up injury replacements, surely that's the whole point of a 15 man squad?
    ​63*

  3. #3
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,689
    He's saying there shouldn't be a 15 man squad.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  4. #4
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Once the tournament starts you shouldn't be allowed to call up injury replacements, surely that's the whole point of a 15 man squad?
    Why shouldn't anyone be drafted in at any time?

    I agree that if you're going to have rules around squads there shouldn't be any replacements at all, but I don't see the point of squads.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 15-03-2011 at 08:09 AM.


  5. #5
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,689
    He's basically saying the minute Morgan was fit, England should have been able to put him straight into their best XI if they wanted him there.

    Same with Mike Hussey for Australia.

    If Praveen Kumar was randomly fit right now, India should be able to fly him in and play him, even if Nehra and Sreesanth aren't injured.

    It shouldn't be a World Cup battle between who is fit and healthy at the time of the world cup squads are finalised. Rather who is fit and healthy at any time during the tournament.

  6. #6
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Remembering The Prince - 63*
    Posts
    49,368
    I'd go the opposite way. Pick XI, if a player gets injured, they either play through the pain or you go down to 10-men. Separate the men from the Jonos.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  7. #7
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    He's basically saying the minute Morgan was fit, England should have been able to put him straight into their best XI if they wanted him there.

    Same with Mike Hussey for Australia.

    If Praveen Kumar was randomly fit right now, India should be able to fly him in and play him, even if Nehra and Sreesanth aren't injured.

    It shouldn't be a World Cup battle between who is fit and healthy at the time of the world cup squads are finalised. Rather who is fit and healthy at any time during the tournament.
    Yes.

  8. #8
    International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,168
    Limited Resources.Unlimited Wants.

    That's been the story of mankind throughout history,and we have learned 5 golden words because of it :
    Do Not **** With Economics.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,506
    ...I see?

    Warming to the general gist of the OP.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    forever 63*

  10. #10
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,455
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Why shouldn't anyone be drafted in at any time?

    I agree that if you're going to have rules around squads there shouldn't be any replacements at all, but I don't see the point of squads.
    Because part of winning is picking the right team. Selectors shouldn't be able to cover for their mistakes halfway through a tournament using injuries as an excuse.

  11. #11
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Because part of winning is picking the right team. Selectors shouldn't be able to cover for their mistakes halfway through a tournament using injuries as an excuse.
    Haha since when has part of winning been to do with selectors?

    You win cricket by the players scoring more runs, shouldn't have anything to do with selectors.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,455
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Haha since when has part of winning been to do with selectors?

    You win cricket by the players scoring more runs, shouldn't have anything to do with selectors.
    Who picks the players in the first place?

  13. #13
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Who picks the players in the first place?
    That is just stupid circular reasoning... if there were no players there wouldn't be selectors!

    We're trying to crown the World Champion cricket team, not the World Champion selectors.

  14. #14
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Anyways, as I suspected, you haven't actually raised a reason why there should be a squad limit.

    I was thinking I must have missed a solid reason why, so I made a thread. Clearly not though.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,864
    If there was a rule saying that newly drafted in players couldn't play until (say) the next game so as to avoid any advantages to the home team, I wouldn't be against it. Certainly the current system seems a bit silly if Mussey can come back into the team after already dropping out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •