Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need for squads

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?

Icon2 Need for squads

Evening, maggots.

Is there a specific, overriding need to have such tough rules and regulations around World Cup squads?

For mine, the only real reason why there should be a set squad limit is because it may give the host nation an advantage.

In the current climate of flavoured pie, high tech gizmos such as Atari 64's and freely available travel via air, surely this advantage that the host nation may enjoy is marginalised.

Why can't we throw it open... that way the best country wins, and we don't end up with a Hussey situation where the team had to wait on an injury to get their top XI due to selection incompetence.

PS. Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks Jono sucks .
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Why can't we throw it open... that way the best country wins, and we don't end up with a Hussey situation where the team had to wait on an injury to get their top XI due to selection incompetence.
    Once the tournament starts you shouldn't be allowed to call up injury replacements, surely that's the whole point of a 15 man squad?
    ​63*

He's saying there shouldn't be a 15 man squad.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Once the tournament starts you shouldn't be allowed to call up injury replacements, surely that's the whole point of a 15 man squad?
    Why shouldn't anyone be drafted in at any time?

I agree that if you're going to have rules around squads there shouldn't be any replacements at all, but I don't see the point of squads.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 15-03-2011 at 08:09 AM.

He's basically saying the minute Morgan was fit, England should have been able to put him straight into their best XI if they wanted him there.

Same with Mike Hussey for Australia.

If Praveen Kumar was randomly fit right now, India should be able to fly him in and play him, even if Nehra and Sreesanth aren't injured.

It shouldn't be a World Cup battle between who is fit and healthy at the time of the world cup squads are finalised. Rather who is fit and healthy at any time during the tournament.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I'd go the opposite way. Pick XI, if a player gets injured, they either play through the pain or you go down to 10-men. Separate the men from the Jonos.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    He's basically saying the minute Morgan was fit, England should have been able to put him straight into their best XI if they wanted him there.

Same with Mike Hussey for Australia.

If Praveen Kumar was randomly fit right now, India should be able to fly him in and play him, even if Nehra and Sreesanth aren't injured.

It shouldn't be a World Cup battle between who is fit and healthy at the time of the world cup squads are finalised. Rather who is fit and healthy at any time during the tournament.
    Yes.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Limited Resources.Unlimited Wants.

That's been the story of mankind throughout history,and we have learned 5 golden words because of it :
    Do Not **** With Economics.

...I see?

Warming to the general gist of the OP.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Why shouldn't anyone be drafted in at any time?

I agree that if you're going to have rules around squads there shouldn't be any replacements at all, but I don't see the point of squads.
    Because part of winning is picking the right team. Selectors shouldn't be able to cover for their mistakes halfway through a tournament using injuries as an excuse.

Because part of winning is picking the right team. Selectors shouldn't be able to cover for their mistakes halfway through a tournament using injuries as an excuse.
    Haha since when has part of winning been to do with selectors?

You win cricket by the players scoring more runs, shouldn't have anything to do with selectors.

Haha since when has part of winning been to do with selectors?

You win cricket by the players scoring more runs, shouldn't have anything to do with selectors.
    Who picks the players in the first place?

Who picks the players in the first place?
    That is just stupid circular reasoning... if there were no players there wouldn't be selectors!

We're trying to crown the World Champion cricket team, not the World Champion selectors.

Anyways, as I suspected, you haven't actually raised a reason why there should be a squad limit.

I was thinking I must have missed a solid reason why, so I made a thread. Clearly not though.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    If there was a rule saying that newly drafted in players couldn't play until (say) the next game so as to avoid any advantages to the home team, I wouldn't be against it. Certainly the current system seems a bit silly if Mussey can come back into the team after already dropping out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information