• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Vettori is gone, who should he be replaced with?

99*

International Debutant
In order of spin preference

Todd Astle, Mark Houghton, Nick Beard, Bruce Martin, Matt Dorn, Chris Kuggle-juggle, Voltman, No one, Jeetan Patel.

While we're at it, kneecap Jamie How and bring in Mark Greatbatch.
Forgetting me tbh.

Yes, now expecting the behind Patel line.

BeeGee

International Captain
So if Vettori is down, I'd go in with a team of:

Guptill
McCullum B
Ryder
Taylor
Styris
Woodcock
Franklin
NcCullum
Oram
Mills
Southee

With Williamson as top four batting cover, McGlashan as finishing cover and Bennett as bowling cover. How fields and does male modelling shots:wub:.
Yeah, this should be the team (although Woody is batting a little high in that order). Woodcock was taken as the reserve spinner, so to not play him when one of our spinners is injured would be bizarre. Replacing Vettori with a batsmen puts a lot of pressure on the bowling of guys like Styris and Franklin. I'd rather see the team balance maintained with two genuine spin bowlers (we still bat all the way down with Southee at 11).

Vettori's replacement needs to be a spin bowler. We can't risk another spin bowler getting injured and having no replacement in the squad.

GGG

State Captain
Thankfully his injury isn't as serious as looked, no point playing Bennett or Woodcock as Williamson could also get 0/70 in a quarter against a good team.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Good work by Vettori's ligament on not breaking. Hope they give Woodcock the game against Canada. If Vettori's recovery is behind schedule he might need to play against SL too, though Vettori should at least be back for the QFs by the looks of things.